Incident at Mike's bar

Started by Art Blade, January 21, 2010, 04:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

One of those moments... to slap one's forehead. Here's the story.

Originally, I was on a mission I received from Frank, to blow something up at the Polytech, Bowa. I had finished the job three times already, because it was so much fun, so I decided to take some screenshots there, just in case, because the entire place was burnt down so nicely and entirely (I like to leave an area like that, and usually I do leave the area in ashes and everything that burns charred). I said "some screenshots," which is what I had in mind. I started with this:

[smg id=1877 align=center width=400]

Then I thought, let's move around the compound and see if there's a better spot to take a cool picture. It ocurred to me that it would be nice to climb some rocks for a better view. I walked around the buildings to the back side, the little rock there was too small, so I went for the rock wall. Maybe accessible from the river, climbing and jumping around, following the river, until I finally found a way up. There was smoke visible, coming from behind the hilltop. My safehouse. Safehouse? Where the hell am I... oop. Centre map, NE of Port Selao, near the arms dealer. Nice. Since I left my buggy at the polytech, see pic above, I didn't want to walk all the way back. So I culled a stray ride. Turned out to be a .50 AT, the one patrolling the route between the arms dealer and the safehouse, good for me, in I got and off I went, towards Marina. I still had to report back to Frank.

On my way, nearly there, I happened upon that local Datsun Dummy, bumped into him a couple of times, engine steaming white, swerved, but the git got me from the side, slipped under my AT knocking me over and down the hillside. My car was upside down, so I got ejected. Would have been normal, only this time I had ended up on top of the bar, and got ejected and I took a wrong step back as in dropping down in front of the bar. When I walked back towards the waterside to get a better view of what was up there, I saw black smoke, flames... So I whipped out my machete, slashed the air once and hit my screenshot key...

[smg id=1878 align=center width=400]

Now, going to reload my last savegame, position right in front of the not-yet-burnt polytech... and get my buggy back.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

After months recovering his mental health on a SPA somewhere between Lesoto and Burkina Fasso, Mike walked into his now empty joint in Bowa Seko, ready for a come back. He cleared the dust covering the booze, lit a nice cigar he stole from a cuban mercenary, and was trying to remember where he put the key to his personal bar, hidden somewhere beneath the  floor with a precious bottle of a 67 years old cognac and...
VVVRRRROOOOMMMMMmmmmmmm
CRASH
CLATTER
SPLASH
THUD

KAAAABBOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

Mike was never seen again.
A distant cousin heard from him via Twitter... apparently a nurse was typing messages for him... his hands wouldn't stop shaking  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:P
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

hahahahajajhahahh<dspoö<s<dskäl<ds :-X :-X :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Great story Art and very cool screen shot .   8)

Why is it that the hood of an exploding AT as seen in your shot always flies out and tries to hit you?

A huge explosion and a burning AT corpse on the roof of the bar and of course Frank didn't even blink when he greeted you and asked how it went.

Ah, the life of a Freelancer!

JRD, your parallel events fill in was pretty funny too. :-X

Too bad for poor Mike though I still got some unfinished business with him for not arranging a cover and leaving someone the key to the booze locker during his hiatus.  :-*
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Never a dull moment at Mike's!

Cool story and screenshots, Art, as always :-X :-X

@JRD and mandru, you guys crack me up ;D ;D :-X

spaceboy

nice one Art.  I love the pic of the explosion on Mike's, seeing it before reading all of your text made me think you had planned the explosion with some IEDs,  even better that you just fell off in time to be out of the way of the blast AND take a screenie  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

As usual, a non linear, non scripted game can always have a surprise...
... aaaaahhh the openworldness!!  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Cheers, guys  :) :-X

The hoods in FC2 indeed have a homing device, as it seems, and furthermore, they tend to sail like a perfectly balanced tray and land as smooth as a helo. They hardly ever topple over while on their way <shrugs> :)

PZ

Art Blade

Hey, I'm back at Mike's Bar (Bowa) :)

Arrived here after a rather eventless rooftop ride on the barge (I think I only spent two mags of my Dragunov, clearing our way to the port), deviating a little due to a sudden outbreak of a paramilitary war at Port Selao. Well, I decided to arm myself to the teeth, for a change, "heavy cavalry style" as some say. I wanted to buy those fancy items at Mike's arms dealer and nowhere else.

So I got an AS50 anti-materiel/sniper rifle, a Desert Eagle .50 heavy handgun, and a bloody mortar in my rucksack.  I hate those  ;D Of course I had to test it. Right out of the armoury, didn't bother with those yellow tracers, and hit it. Well, nearly hammered myself into the ground with that thing, local AT popping around in a blaze. Darn mechanics of a mortar. Found out the hard way that I don't have a Rescue Buddy. Well, I had, but she wasn't ready yet. Cheers... Alright, I needed to clear a safehouse first, without blowing myself to kingdom come, that is.

Good, killed those two DD and some diamond protecting mercs on my way to the bridge, got the diamond somewhere in a hut close to the rocky wall south of the bus stop. Good place to test the mortar, I tried to take out the safehouse from there :) No message appeared telling me I was successful, so I drove with my Leboa buggy (yes, I had kept it safe in Port Selao before the barge mission) down to the road and passed the bus stop. From the corner of my eye I noticed something burning there, so I stopped and turned around to see what it was:

The mortar round had blown up the empty Datsun of the bus stop rather than cleared out the safehouse LOL This is going to be some playthrough, with Xianyong as my BB and Nasreen as my RB (me: Quarbani) :)

fragger

Nice story, Art. The mortar does take some getting used to! I never thought much of it originally, but it's started to grow on me a little.

Art Blade

And indeed, coincidentally I've just composed a mortar tutorial  ;D

mandru

The only thing I can hit with any predictable accuracy with the mortar is myself!  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I can even catch the rebound! Shoot a wall with the mortar and you'll see  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

Thanks ;D

and, smart comment ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳