(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

One of the things game developers always tend to ignore / forget is that planks of wood, even house bricks and concrete blocks will not stop a standard round from an assault rifle or high calibre pistol. And guns like the PKM and M249 SAW can often do more as they fire faster and longer.
I know they are only games, but I wouldn't of thought a little basic physics is beyond what they can program and simulate with computers.

Quote from: fragger on February 06, 2010, 11:09:08 PM
So I stitched a pattern of hits along the wall
Brilliant phrase fragger :-X

Quote from: fragger on February 06, 2010, 11:09:08 PM
I must have scored an accidental head shot in the process.
ssshh - don't let the mercs know ??? ;)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

indeed, the only game I can think of which had that sort of physics quite right was OFP2. Not entirely, but more than the rest of the games I know.

Oh, and I agree, nice phrase  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I guess there's a game (MAG or BFBC2, maybe?... spaceboy?) that let you shoot holes on walls... if wooden walls, then you can shoot an enemy with a shotgun or a high caliber gun through it or just remodel the wall into round windows and throw grenades inside. If a brick wall, then you need some explosive rounds to pierce through it, but the physics allow you to open up holes where you hit...  :-X :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Quote from: JRD on February 07, 2010, 05:14:05 AM
I guess there's a game (MAG or BFBC2, maybe?... spaceboy?) that let you shoot holes on walls... if wooden walls, then you can shoot an enemy with a shotgun or a high caliber gun through it or just remodel the wall into round windows and throw grenades inside. If a brick wall, then you need some explosive rounds to pierce through it, but the physics allow you to open up holes where you hit...  :-X :-X

That sounds cool, whatever game it was :-X

Quote from: RedRaven on February 06, 2010, 11:43:58 PM
ssshh - don't let the mercs know ??? ;)

Me and my big gob ::)

deadman1

Modern warfare 1 and 2 lltes you shoot through walls aswell. That feature both saved  :-X and cost  :D me my life on many occasions when I played those games.

Art Blade

AHHhhhhh, CoD4. You are so right, deadman, I remember the battle in the TV studio, in the main office with the video wall. Behind the copier was a small room where I used to hide, it was dark inside, and I remember how bullets pierced the walls leaving holes through which light filtered, nice "god rays"  :) And indeed, I used that gimmick to kill a couple of enemies through walls  ;D

The games JRD mentions are unknown to me, but good to know that there are games which got it right :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Quote from: deadman on February 07, 2010, 06:04:44 AM
Modern warfare 1 and 2 lltes you shoot through walls aswell.

Good, at least some games out there are getting it close to Earth based physics.Think my total playing time on all CoD games comes to less than 10 minutes, and that was all on Modern Warfare 2, looks good but it's not my type of game.
The ballistics in all 3 Stalker games are done well too (not going to start rambling on about it on this thread, will get it written up with some pic & vid examples).

Back to physics in FC2, even though most of the walls, be they brick, mud or metal can all take an unrealistic amount of hammer. However vehicle windows are done well, I like to find a nice high vantage point so can practice head shots on moving targets. Datsuns are perfect for it and the Assault Trucks are good target practice when they do a 3 point turn. Thats when they manage to turn around properly, once saw one trying but I stopped counting when it became a 10 point turn and sent the driver and gunner off on the last journey they would ever make :)   (got to love the Dragunov SVD ;D )

@fragger - not seen or heard anyone use the word Gob for ages.  :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I've just gobbled some crisps and now I'm gobsmacked... I've heard/read "gob" a couple of times. But that's probably just gobbledegook.  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: RedRaven on February 06, 2010, 11:43:58 PM
One of the things game developers always tend to ignore / forget is that planks of wood, even house bricks and concrete blocks will not stop a standard round from an assault rifle or high calibre pistol. And guns like the PKM and M249 SAW can often do more as they fire faster and longer.
I know they are only games, but I wouldn't of thought a little basic physics is beyond what they can program and simulate with computers.

Probably comes from watching too many movies where some guy hides behind an empty steel 55 gallon drum while someone else is shooting at him with an ak-47. We used to shoot oil drums with a .22 rifle with short rounds, they went right through, I can imagine an ak or larger rifle would have little trouble.

If they had real bullet penetration in a game, I'm sure the average player would be surprised to find that a lot of things aren't "bullet proof". It's one of the things they do on Mythbusters all the time, finding out what can and can't stop a bullet.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: RedRaven on February 07, 2010, 07:24:04 AMnot seen or heard anyone use the word Gob for ages.  :)

Just happened upon another variant of it which you probably recall: gobstopper  ;D (AE: jawbreakers)

PZ

eor123

I don't know if this is a quirk to my system (XBox360) or is something that can be exploited by others.

I first noticed this when saving at the safe house near the pipeline in Bowa. If I save the game when an AT is passing by the safe house,  the mercs in the AT are killed and often end up thrashing about partially materialized within the AT. This is repeatable and I used it as a way to silently take out that AT without expending any ammo.

I just had the same thing happen at the safe house near the cell tower due east of the Polytech.

In both instances, the AT passes within close proximity to the safe house.

I believe  this is caused by physical object not being properly re-oriented when the spatial / time continuum is altered. For lack of a better word, I call this The Philadelphia Effect.

In the movie "The Philadelphia Experiment" scientists attempting to cloak a WW II US Naval Destroyer cause a rift in the space/time continuum. When it reappears after traveling through time, the sailors bodies are partially materialized within the hull of the ship.

The presence of such technology in this Bowa-Seko suggests that the CIA is involved in the APR / UFLL conflict.  ;)
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

fragger

:-X Interesting phenomenon eor, I'll have to try that and see if the same thing happens on PC.

Re: The Philadelphia Experiment, that was quite a good, thought provoking movie. It has also for a long time been a staple of conspiracy theorists, who claim that the movie was based on a real experiment in which an electromagnetic field was generated around a ship in an attempt to render it radar-invisible. Apparently (so the story goes), after the field was on for a while the ship actually became optically invisible, along with the crew. When the field was switched off, the ship gradually faded back into view again - but not all the crew members did, and as in the film, some re-materialized imbedded in the hull, deck and bulkheads.

Remember, this is a conspiracy theory... Make of it what you will ::) I love conspiracy theories, even though very few of them have much credibility - well, for me anyway - and some are patently flat-out ridiculous. I still find it fun to speculate, but I'm of the "show me incontrovertible evidence, then I might believe it" school ;D

Here's Wikipedia's take on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

eor123

If you are entertained by conspiracy theory and lunatic fringe stuff, I recommend

www.godlikeproductions.com

I'll warn you....there are some seriously messed up folks hanging out there. Entertaining, though.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on April 18, 2009, 08:37:04 AM
Tactics:

12) Timing Malaria attacks

edit.........

I've been keeping track of the timing of my malaria attacks the last few episodes. I'm at sickness level zero, and reputation 2 I think, don't know if that matters or not and about 50% done with the game. Here's the game time of the last four malaria episodes I had:

34:49:12
36:01:48
37:16:01
38:27:05

I checked the game time right after finishing taking a pill, if that matters. So, doing some math, that's between 71 and 75 minutes of game time for each attack. I'll keep track from now on and see how they get closer together as my sickness level increases. It seems you would need to keep track of your game timing if you wanted to predict when the next attack would occur, and when you're within 5 minutes, just stand there in a safe house until it arrives. I don't think sleeping advances the game clock, so that won't w@&k.
D_B

Art Blade

cool, thanks for picking that up, D_B  :) :-X (Err, the tip, not malaria)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, we'll see how they turn out later in the game. I plan to keep track of all of them from now on, just didn't think of it earlier.....

OK, here's more info:

Game Time    Spacing    Sickness Level

0:21:16        0:21:16    5     (First attack came at 21 minutes into the game)
0:37:08        0:15:52    5
1:09:31        0:32:23    4
1:42:15        0:32:44    4
2:13:06        0:30:15    4
2:43:58        0:30:52    4
3:14:31        0:30:33    4
3:51:58        0:37:27    4
4:24:21        0:32:23    4
4:57:29        0:33:08    4
5:47:33        0:50:04    3
6:52:20        1:04:47    2
9:21:21        2:29:01    0   <---- Another weird time, and probably because I went through the
10:35:12      1:13:51    0            missions so fast, it didn't have time to catch up
11:51:00      1:15:48    0
13:10:35      1:19:35    0
14:17:32      1:06:57    2
15:18:37      1:01:05    2
16:22:26      1:03:49    2
16:48:16      0:25:50    5
The above times were during my speed run, so it skipped levels fast. I don't think I even did all the malaria missions.

These times were during the second half of a normal game, so the times are more accurate.
34:49:12       0:00:00    0
36:01:48       1:12:36    0
37:16:01       1:14:13    0
38:27:05       1:11:04    0
39:38:50       1:11:45    0
40:55:21       1:16:31    0
41:59:27       1:04:06    1
43:07:46       1:08:19    1
44:16:09       1:08:23    1
45:10:56       0:54:47    2
46:10:10       0:59:14    2
46:57:16       0:47:06    3
47:41:39       0:44:23    3
49:23:01       1:41:22    4    <------- I think this one's a glitch
49:59:53       0:36:52    4
50:24:05       0:24:12    5
50:46:49       0:22:44    5
51:08:17       0:21:28    5

The attack at 40:55 took a long time to arrive, and it happened just as I was getting on a bus. Had to take a pill when I arrived at the bus stop. I must have hit sickness level 1 sometime in the next few minutes as I took the first mission of the southern map. At that point, I ran out of pills and had to take on a malaria mission to get more, which is where I stopped, but going by average, it looks like there's about 5 minutes less time between attacks for level 1 from level zero. We'll see how it goes once I get higher in sickness levels. My next attack should occur somewhere around 43:03 game time, we'll see. --- Happened at 43:07, so I guess that's close enough, I'll keep this updated as I time the attacks for the rest of the game.

Final averages:
Sickness level zero, about an hour and 15 minutes between attacks. I also think you never run out of pills at this level.

Sickness level one, about an hour and 10 minutes give or take. The variance between level zero and level one almost make them the same thing.

Sickness level two looks to be between 55 minutes and one hour.

Sickness level three between 45 and 50 minutes.

Sickness level four between 30 and 40 minutes.

Sickness level five between 15 and 20 minutes.
D_B

Art Blade

almost missed the edit there, thanks for the update  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

I'm just going to keep editing the post above with new times, instead of adding a lot of posts with just a one line entry for the next malaria attack.
D_B

Art Blade

I think I'll feature your post on the index. Keep it up :)  :-X

eor123

And I was certain the malaria attacks were somehow triggered by the beginning of a fire fight.   ;D

fragger

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on May 03, 2009, 06:51:34 AM
edited the 180° turn tip again, so even those of you who are not familiar with drifting cars should be able to perform that manoeuvre :)

Just found a short vid on youtube that made me think of that tip. A guy parking his car by performing a 180 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpXf0cmJ64

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on May 01, 2010, 02:52:19 AM
I think I'll feature your post on the index. Keep it up :)  :-X

Done  :) Edited tip #12 (timing malaria) and updated the initial post (index)

Tags:
🡱 🡳