Using Hang Gliders

Started by retiredgord, March 19, 2009, 05:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

Hi folks.  I am a LOUSY hang glider guy. I always end up with my face compacted against a rock wall.  Any technique suggestions, as this is my HUGE handicap.  Thanks for any help.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

JRD

Don't worry... hang gliders are quite clumsy indeed.
When you "take off", try keeping the nose up by pressing the back button or you'll loose altitude too fast and don't do sharp turns, go little by little when moving sideways.
Other than that, they are not suposed to be vehicles, just a way to reach an otherwise unreachable diamond case!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

As far as I know there's no real way to get lift, only stave off your descent.  My flights have typically been short except leaving the cliff at Dogon village and going down the river.  My landings have either been face plants or getting shot down...

just saw jrderntls reply,  it's great advice.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Dweller_Benthos

Just found a "new" hang glider last night, at the edge of the cliff near the pipeline in the south. Just past the guard post. With that one, you can take a fairly long trip down the canyon towards the mine as long as no one shoots at you. But otherwise, it seems to be useless. You might be able to get to the safe house faster than walking, but otherwise....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I've noticed that too - sometimes the hang gliders are simply a fast way back to civilization so to speak.  In fact, it is rare that I am left without some kind of nearby handy vehicle to get around (if you take the time to look on your map for likely spots to find one).  About the only time I've been forced to walk is in a relatively remote position and some grenade truck has just destroyed my vehicle!

retiredgord

:)Well thanks for that info on the back button jrdentl.  I tried it and it works.  Finally got the diamond top left near Mosate, the one on the ledge near the Crash Zone and almost the one downriver from the R/road bridge.(I let go of the glider hehe) I was pushing the joystick and when looking down to see where I was..oops! CRASH..BANG.  LOL

Ricamundo

I tried the glider a couple of times, and like you guys, it was face plant time. What a waste of a serrette! I can't say i've felt an overwhelming urge to find EVERY diamond whilst playing, as I usually find more than enough to fund my fave weapons, so I just leave the hard to reach diamonds alone.

As i intend to play several more times tho, I may just have to go for all of 'em eventually. :D
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

retiredgord

Ricamundo it will be worth it just for the satisfaction of getting to the spots.  I tried each a few times and found at night, about 1 a.m. to be best.  In the daylight your'e a great target. If you stick to the flight plan on the maps it works well. Also save as close to the area and try several times to get the "hang" of it.  Sorry for the pun.  I'm in the North again to get those hard-to-reach ones.  Gotta get-em.  Leave no stone behind.. A new FC2 motto???

Ricamundo

There was one diamond i happened upon yesterday, and i'll be damned if i could figure out hth to get to it. It was just off the RR tracks at the desert edge near the old fort, up on top of a large flat rock.

I walked alll around with a strong green siggy, but no way up from the ground, so, it being nighttime, and i had completed my latest mish, i thought, ok, let's find the glider which must be nearby, but after several fruitless minutes trying to climb all the high spots nearby, i gave up. ::)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Dweller_Benthos

There's a couple rocks you have to jump across. Go back to the east entrance of the fort, and walk a little to the left, not on the path, but near it. There's a pointy rock formation that actually overhangs the path, and one from the other side. You have to run & jump across the gap, takes a few tries usually. Once you're on the other side, walk along the top of the cliffs to the diamond.

Unless you're talking about the one really close to the railroad tracks on the west side of the map, just north of the North Railyard area. That one needs a glider, or park a truck next to the rock on the west side, jump to the hood of the truck, then to the roof, then onto the rock.
D_B

Midway

About the case on the large rock, what I do is drive a truck up to the rock (on the desert side).  I then hop on the hood and then am able to climb up on to the rock to grab the case.

On the hang glider near the pipeline, I use it during the 'destroy pipeline' mission.  I take out the two guys at the checkpoint across the gourge and then use both sniper rifle and the mounted grenade launcher to wipe the guys out around the pipeline.  I then go to the glider and after making a tricky left turn I glide into construction area and blow up the pipeline.

PZ

That's a cool way on the pipeline mission Midway; I'll try that one next time I'm in the area (mission or not) - I've never approached from the post on the opposite side of the gorge.  My favorite way to get into the pipeline areas is from the southwest bus stop - drive northeast from the stop to the midway safe house, then make my way on foot to the pipeline - there is a great sniping position to kill the suit in one of the assassination missions.

Midway

Thanks pzrzao :)  If you are playing on PC make sure you do a quick save before attempting the glide down as I said it was tricky.  If you turn too hard it is easy to overcompensate and end up in a cliff wall, lol.

My early strategy for the water valve/pipeline mission is to wait until it is dark, w@&k my way to the Brewery and hop on the pipeline that stretches across the little bay to the pump house (once I was surprised by a boat sitting on the pipe with two dudes in it.  I killed them and carefully hopped across the boat--I wished I thought to take a screenie of it).  After getting on the top of the pump house I dropped a nade down to take the valve out.  Then I continued walking the pipe all the way to the construction site.  I later quit doing this because of the mortar guy on the island kept me running on the pipe, lol.

PZ

That's a great way to w@&k through that area that I'd not thought of - do the guys on the ground notice you up there?

As to the mortar guy on the small island - steal one of the boats and beach it on the back of the island, and walk toward the southern end where he usually faces the pipeline area - rush him and he pulls out a weapon - kill him and then play around shelling the pipeline coast line - lots of fun!

Dweller_Benthos

I've used the pipeline to cross the lake once or twice, but not the whole way up to the main site. I usually take out the mortar guy with a sniper round before he even see me.
D_B

Midway

I just played the mission again, here is a screenshot of me gliding to the pipeline after bombarding the place with the grenade launcher at the post across the gourge.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

D_B, at that time I didn't know where the mortar man was.  After I found out he was on the little island I changed my strategy to where that when I leave the safehouse, I proceed east to the guardpost [medical] next to the lake.  I use the boat there to travel to the island where I take him out (sometimes he stands on the bank and I run him over with the boat, lol).  There are a couple of grenade boats patrolling the area where I attract attention by killing the gunner with the Dart gun (this can be dangerous if you miss and he starts lobbing 'nades at ya).  The driver usually heads towards me and when he gets close I take him out.  The momentum of the boat brings it right to me and I use this to take the water valve out.  I then proceed back to that guardpost I took out earlier (and have to take out again, lol) and then w@&k my way west and south to the guardpost across the gourge.

The great point of the game is that you can try different ways to accomplish a mission.  I don't know if I can go back to linear games after this, lol.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 24, 2009, 06:02:57 AM
There's a couple rocks you have to jump across. Go back to the east entrance of the fort, and walk a little to the left, not on the path, but near it. There's a pointy rock formation that actually overhangs the path, and one from the other side. You have to run & jump across the gap, takes a few tries usually. Once you're on the other side, walk along the top of the cliffs to the diamond.

Unless you're talking about the one really close to the railroad tracks on the west side of the map, just north of the North Railyard area. That one needs a glider, or park a truck next to the rock on the west side, jump to the hood of the truck, then to the roof, then onto the rock.

Oh man, i never even thought of the damned truck. :-[ The hint for the one overlooking that path near the fort is a help too, as i hadn't retrieved that one either. Thx. ;D

PZ

Quote from: Midway on March 24, 2009, 07:35:34 PM
The great point of the game is that you can try different ways to accomplish a mission.  I don't know if I can go back to linear games after this, lol.

Great story Midway, and I agree wholeheartedly - difficult to imagine being truly satisfied with the linear games after being able to experiment so much in FC2!

PZ

I added Midway's screen cap to the south central region map - look for the camera icon for that great shot.

Bowa - south central region

Midway

Thanks, pzrzao  :)

Also thanks for putting this website together for people who appreciates FC2  :D  I didn't discover FarCry2World before it was closed and the Ubi forum is filled with whiners  :'(

PZ

You made an observation that most of us have noticed on other sites - lots of whining and complaining much of which seems to result from not giving the game a fair chance.  There are bugs in the programming, of that I'm sure, but overall FC2 is still the best in my book.  We've just been lucky on our site that we've not attracted the whining crowd - suits me just fine!

Midway

I think the boat is in the area where I marked a yellow dot on this pic:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

EDIT: oops, I posted this in the wrong thread, lol.

Zomby Woof

Just another tip for those trying to get used to the gliders.  Like many of you, my first several flights ended aburptly and uncomfortably.  All I did was start up the map editor, put a glider on a big hillside, and practiced for about 20 minutes.  I'm not positive, but I don't think I've crashed since.  Well, other than getting shot down.  Hope this helps.

Ricamundo

My first relatively successful flight with a glider was on the mish where you have to deliver the firing pin thingy to help yer buddy blow up the bridge.

I had noticed the glider on the way across, and went back to it after destroying the bridge. my flight was in slowly smaller and lower circles all the way down to the water. Quite cool actually.

PZ

I'm becoming a bit better at glider flight after watching the videos posted by you more experienced pilots.  More often than not, I hit a tree, a rock wall, or simply crash on too steep a turn/dive, etc.  Now when I get close to my target, I just hit the release button and drop safely to the ground while my glider crumples up (instead of me)

Tags:
🡱 🡳