AMD Multi-GPU adventure

Started by LowPolyOWG, October 17, 2017, 03:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

So, with the mining craze dying (finally!) I could order my additional GPU :gnehe: My Norwegian retailer have been unable to receive RX 580s for a long time. Today, I discovered that Newegg ships to Norway!  ???

So I cancelled my order at Komplett (been waiting since August :banghead: :'() and decided to buy a RX 580 from Newegg. Still need to pay custom duties, which bumps the costs up to Norwegian levels... Basically a supercharged brother to my Sapphire RX 480 :bigsmile: Will it w0#k? Well, Crossfire/SLI have always been problematic, there haven't been proper developer support until AMD paved the way with Mantle and MS/Khronos came up with DX12 and Vulkan. AMD do have various DX9/DX11 CrossFire profiles available through drivers. What about the GPU? Being a RX 480 with higher clocks, the 580 will either downclock itself to match the RX 480 or worse, cause a (cross)fire :-X

I know some of the games I play will support it. Just have to run them in fullscreen now, rather than Fullscreen Borderless...
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Yep, can't wait to max out games again :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

I had a couple cards in SLI a few systems ago, I never really noticed the difference. I presume because at the time, very few applications took advantage of the setup.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

For developers, yes. There is no way for them to program multi-GPU into their engines under DX11. DX12 is fully multithreaded and low-level. Developers can see the hardware features through the API. AMD and Nvidia are basically "hacking" the game with their drivers to enable SLI/CF in DX11 titles. Which have mixed results.

Under Vulkan/DX12, developers have to support multi-GPU, but it can be difficult to implement.

LowPolyOWG

Crossfire!  :evil2: :anigrin: It's bigger than my RX 480, but they w0#k :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳