Impessions: Assassin's Creed Origins

Started by PZ, November 01, 2017, 09:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

fragger

Who can say what attracts us to what games? I don't know either why I get attracted to same games and not others. I guess they have their "X factor" that appeals to each of our own individual personalities or psyches or whatever. I still can't tear myself away from FO4 after three months. Why? I don't know. Partly I think it's because I can build stuff in it, and plan out what I want to build. I always enjoy games where I get to plan and build things, like Civ V, XCOM:Enemy Unknown (to an extent), and the old SimCity 3000. In FO4, I not only get to plan and build, I then get to "inhabit" and make productive use of what I build in the first person, which is something of a rarity in games.

LowPolyOWG

Maybe it's dependent on our personalities/interests :huh-new: :anigrin:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

LowPolyOWG

Today, UBI*bleep**bleep* released the Discovery Tour on Assassin's Creed Origins. In other words, the game is now a virtual museum, if you want that :)

4,5 GB patch on PC (Uplay), it might be smaller on the consoles.

PZ

Good to know - I was excited about this potential when I first purchased the game - reminds me of all the historical data in earlier AC games  O0

LowPolyOWG

PZ

OMG, the game goes from most excellent to absolutely fantastic!

That new mode, as long as they do not make it ridiculously difficult to achieve, will make the game just about perfect!

As soon as the Olympics are over, I'm definitely going to go into Egypt again!

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Hope they do something like that for Far Cry 5, that would be great  :evil2: :gnehe:

PZ

Absolutely - if they do that, it will also be a game that I will like forever.  :bigsmile:

PZ

Well, I spent the day yesterday downloading the update and fired it up.

It actually exceeds my hopes:

• The Discovery Tour is an excellent way to learn the history in a guided way. You can follow the virtual tour guide to checkpoints where what is claimed accurate history is described. You can also wander the world as you will, and go to whatever checkpoint set you want.
  • The new game mode in which you retain essentially everything except the hidden blades. You retain all the applications of the ability points, the upgrades you did to weapons, and of course all the physical gear you accumulated. The game starts  you in normal difficulty mode (which you can change), and having the enemy level up with you.

I first started a new game (you need an empty slot), then copied a level 40 character to the new slot. The game starts as always, and because I did not know the enemy had leveled up to me, I had a slight problem killing the first bunch. Continuing, I threw a poison dart, and it took a while to kill enemy in Siwa (which are level 1-5 guys). At that point I knew that they were leveling up to me so I changed back to easy difficulty, and no leveling up. Now I feel right at home, and it is absolutely fantastic to roam the world anywhere I want without having serious problems.

This is how I would have liked all the games to be - start a new game with all your equipment and abilities from the prior play through. After all, when you go travel to a new area of the world in real life, you don't go there losing all your sense and reason, only needing to learn everything all over.  :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

PZ

The new game plus mode reminds me of modding the Far Cry games - the map is open from the start, and you have all the gear you need to go about your business. I'm currently working my way through Egypt, exploring the areas, and doing whatever quests I feel like doing - it is a true open world experience, all without having to mod the game.

The detail is so intricate, I am seeing things I've not seen in prior plays through - the detail in the irrigation system to bring water to the fields is detailed enough that I stopped to examine the construction.

LowPolyOWG

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳