BinnZ Cuts

Started by BinnZ, April 01, 2017, 06:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

After 2 weeks and 10 hours of cutting w0#k, this is what my stone looks like:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was raining a bit just before I took the pic, that's why some parts look darker than others.
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Nice, can't wait for the final result
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

there's a lot of debris lying around :anigrin: Seems as if bits and pieces flew off quite some distance

fragger

Getting there, eh BinnZ? O0 Good on you mate! Looking forward to seeing what develops :)

PZ

Same here BinnZ - looking forward to your progress!  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

BinnZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 17, 2017, 01:11:44 PM
there's a lot of debris lying around :anigrin: Seems as if bits and pieces flew off quite some distance

You should've seen the garden before I cleaned the place. What's laying on the ground here is nothing compared to that. My neighbour even commented that she was sitting in a 'rain of stone grain' when I was working last week. I moved the stone closer to the fence so upwards moving objects would be better blocked by the green. I really hope not to cause to much nuisance to the neighbours with my works :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

PZ

You're a nice guy BinnZ, and I wish everyone were like you - if someone here was doing a project like yours, and it caused a nuisance to their neighbor, they would more likely move the source of the nuisance closer to their offended neighbor.  :banghead:

I see this kind of behavior nearly every day on the road - if someone in front of you notices that they are impeding your progress because of their slowness, they more likely slow down even more to annoy you further rather than pull out of the way. No wonder road rage is on the rise.

Art Blade

people seem to think, if they are doing it to me, I'm going to do it to them with a vengeance, rather than staying on the path of "oh dear, how could they.. I'd never do that to anyone." Things get worse like that.

fragger

Indeed, consideration of others seems to be a disappearing thing. I'm giving you a +1 for yours, BinnZ :thumbsup:

That's one of the things I love about where I live. People in small rural communities, especially older people, haven't lost the art of neighbourliness. If I'm out and about, even when just taking the dog for a walk, just about everyone I encounter exchanges a friendly greeting, even people I've never seen before. There is a marked change during holiday seasons though, when lots of people from the nearest big city (Sydney) flock up my way. They bring their rudeness and inconsideration along with them and they treat the local store owners - or any locals - with contempt. I used to see it all the time in my last job.

I've noticed an interesting thing on a couple of occasions since moving here myself. It's a growing community, going from about 3,000 to 6,000 in the eight years or so that I've been here. Most of the newcomers are "sea-changers" from Sydney, and I've gotten to know a few of them. At first they were standoffish and slightly suspicious if I initiated a conversation with them, but after a year or two here they've completely relaxed and have adopted the lifestyle. The laid-back atmosphere and the "she'll be right, mate" attitude (translation: "Don't stress, all will be well" :gnehe:) converts them eventually. Some even start leaving their garage doors wide open and their front doors unlocked all day long, like many others, without fear of everything in the place walking away.

Cities are stress-generators and civility-killers I never want to live anywhere near one ever again.

BinnZ

Thanx guys, indeed I find it important to make sure my neighbours don't feel bad about what I'm doing. This weekend the weather finally got a little better. Until now we had much rain and it was very cold all the time. I took advantage of the opportunity and worked for 5 more hours on my sculpture.

I start to feel comfortable with the cutting. The stone is revealing its behaviour to me and I feel like being able to control what will fall off when I cut. It's like learning to drive; you have to get the right feel for the power your hammer got and the drive your chisel will make through the material. Just like you need to learn the influence of your steering wheel, your clutch and of course the gass pedal. I don't feel like a racer yet, but I definitely feel like I'm up for my drivers license ;)

I know from earlier objects I created that it is very important to keep in mind the size of what you want to create, so that you don't cut something away that will be part of the final image. The thing is; when you first start to cut you create a rough form. And that rough form is usually quite ample. When looking at your w0#k you try to guess the right dimensions with the rough form you have until then created, but it's easy to miscalculate the altitude of your object then because of the rough form being wider than it's supposed to.
Realising that, it feels for me like a constant fight against my own perception making sure I don't trick myself. A stone can only be cut once, no mistakes can be made :anigrin:

Apart from that struggle, there's something else happening. The stone starts talking to me. That is something always happening when you create stuff with a certain material. The material will dictate me in a certain way, and little scarves I create along the process inspire me so the final form gets influenced. It's a process that really sucks me into it. I start feeling comfortable, as if walking a path through nature while cutting and sculpting. Most of the forms I focus on now will be gone when the final image is there, but these forms are so alive and guiding me, that it feels like an adventure. The fact that I w0#k with stone adds to the adventure. Natural materials have an effect on the brain when you really focus on them, w0#k on them that intense; they comfort you. When I see the sun shining on my stone and on all the shatter laying on the ground around me, I feel alive.

Here's what my stone looks like at the moment. Not exactly very beautiful, but just be patient; I know what's in there ;)

"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Nice to see your progress with the stone :)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

looking very organic O0

PZ

Definitely coming along BinnZ!  O0

fragger

Nice experiences to share with us BinnZ, cheers :) I'm glad to hear you're really getting into it. And that the weather is finally cooperating :thumbsup:

I sort of get where you're coming from about forms and such, maybe in a different way for me though. Even though I don't w0#k with real materials (only virtual ones), when I get an idea for a 3D model or artwork it's only a sort of rough impression at first. I have an inkling of what I'm going for, but not the fine details. I start working towards what I think I'm envisioning, and as I do more things begin to occur to me. I always know at a certain point when I'm on to something that I know is going to go somewhere good - it sort of clicks, then it becomes a kind of self-sustaining, or almost self-building, process. It's like the details start suggesting themselves to me instead of me having to dream them up, and I get sucked into it. By that I mean I lose all sense of passing time and the next thing I know, hours have gone by.

Sometimes the opposite happens, I start working on something and realize after a while that it's not really going anywhere. I put it aside then, but sometime later I may revisit it, and sometimes when I do that I know right away what it needs to make it w0#k, and it turns into something worthwhile. And sometimes it never does and it gets relegated to the computer equivalent of the back of a drawer :gnehe:

🡱 🡳