Red Dead Redemption 2 - Trailer Breakdown

Started by LowPolyOWG, April 06, 2017, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

looking really good, like a movie. The faces are as detailed as in L.A. Noire :thumbsup:

BinnZ

Ye, it is all too beautiful. Damn it, why no PC release just yet? What have we done to them :undecided-new: :'(

"No hay luz"

Art Blade

that is a simple answer: we are not big enough a market anymore.

Mobiles first (!), consoles 2nd, PC 3rd. Since you can't (yet) put mobile phones and consoles into the same pot, let's leave the mobile games out of the equation. So: Games are being developed for consoles almost exclusively these days and only to get the extra dollars from the PC market, they may port a game to PC. The times are over when the PC was the dominant gaming device.

nex

We must also not forget, games are developed exclusively for 10y old's who's
daddy's can afford buying new consoles for them every second year.
And I wouldn't be surprised if the devs get kickbacks from console
manufacturers   :sad-new:
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on October 01, 2018, 02:24:08 PM
that is a simple answer: we are not big enough a market anymore.

Mobiles first (!), consoles 2nd, PC 3rd. Since you can't (yet) put mobile phones and consoles into the same pot, let's leave the mobile games out of the equation. So: Games are being developed for consoles almost exclusively these days and only to get the extra dollars from the PC market, they may port a game to PC. The times are over when the PC was the dominant gaming device.

Console games like CoD/Halo pioneered the modern console game experience. Microsoft is looking to remove the difference between console/PC, by giving the Xbox PC functionality. Still, consoles are popular due to their simplicity by the consumers. Also, what do you need to sell that console? Exclusive games not available anywhere else. Now, you can of course buy multiple devices to play all of the games. Modern consoles are basically PC right now. Basically, you can just recompile the code and it will run on a PC, with little effort. Not counting PC specific optimization (SLI/Crossfire, DX12/Vulkan, optimizing for a broader range of hardware), which is much easier, given the open sourced tools available from AMD/Nvidia.

Nex, most publishers are getting paid by the console manufacturers for bonuses (excusive DLC). Now, you need 1st party studios to lock the game to a certain platform and I am certain Take Two won't sell off Rockstar, given how much money Zelnick and his shareholders are raking in.

Quote from: BinnZ on October 01, 2018, 01:00:42 PM
Ye, it is all too beautiful. Damn it, why no PC release just yet? What have we done to them :undecided-new: :'(

Some mindless fools with too much money to spend are willing to shell out 120-200$ for a game, that releases on multiple platforms. In other words, R*/Take Two knows that, seeing how GTA V got triple released (base price was still 60$, so, you could spend 180$ to get all versions). If we see a PC version in late 2019/early 2020, I might have gotten myself some new hardware :anigrin:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

OK, G, I think you made a couple of good points. I stand corrected O0

You made me rethink and therefore I'll rephrase: What I don't like about PC games these days is the circumstance, and I guess you'll agree with me, that porting games to PC leaves the whole console-typical menu navigation and in-game accessibility of whichever actions you can take as a player just the way the console game works: made for controllers. They don't rework it for optimal use with PC.

GTA is a very good example: it is very easy to handle when being played with a controller. It is made for a controller. I love playing GTA with controller except when it comes to shooting which is when I grab mouse and keyboard. Using mouse and keyboard, especially keyboard, reveals that most games simply ignore the fact that there are 102 or more keys available. They port a controller with 4 buttons plus 2 buttons when pressing down the 2 thumb-joysticks plus 4 triggers plus 4 D-pad buttons plus those 2 tiny keys for pause and menu = 18 keys to the keyboard and keep reusing those keys over and over again with double and triple functionality and few games allow to freely assign the whole keyboard to the various functions. Many just stay with the controller mapped onto the keyboard and keep some functions that you cannot reassign. Also, like in FC5 and No Man's Sky, on a PC you get to see a pic of a button on screen that you need to keep pressed for confirmation and it shows a frame being drawn like clockwise around that key until it is complete after perhaps one second. On a PC, I could simply use one key and quickly tap it for confirmation but no, it's the limited amount of buttons on a controller that made the devs come up with that to offer more actions than there are buttons. It is annoying if you see stuff like that on a PC.

LowPolyOWG

Yeah, I can agree on UI design being poorly implemented. That's also a typical thing with low effort console ports. Poor performance and UI design

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Which is why I've had to go as far as editing config and ini files or even actually modding a game (I'm looking right at you, Fallout 4) in order to use it properly on the PC with keyboard and mouse. If a person is willing to use the limited configuration that comes out of the box (locked to WASD and a few buttons around those letters) you probably would never notice, but try any type of custom config and you have to usually resort to editing config files at the least.

I've watched people playing No Man's Sky and when switching to controller after trying to use the keyboard they mention it works so much better. Yeah, it does, if you try to use the default keyboard setup they have which is arranged in an idiotic way if you ask me. But after fiddling with config files and again, modding, it works pretty well with keyboard.

Of course, things that need analog input like driving a vehicle will always w0#k better with a controller, instead of the keyboard's digital on/off only which can be hard to manage a lot of the time.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Some developers are visually displaying the keyboard in the settings menu. So you can easily locate buttons :) Also, I'd like to give an applause to Ubisoft lately, their PC versions now comes with proper images showing differences between graphical options and where the keys are located for controls etc.

nex

A very good example is Wildlands,
the keyboard and mouse works brilliantly

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

nex

I enjoy Wildlands as much as I enjoyed FC2 BinnZ.
The big difference between the two games, Wildlands
you never run out of enemies, and you can re play any of the
missions as many times as you like

🡱 🡳