Traditional Biltong

Started by nex, November 14, 2017, 08:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nex

You forgot about one other critter PZ, the two legged ones, namely mandru and Art..... :anigrin:

Roughly 40-50g for every kg of meat PZ
Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks nex! I thought it would be rather heavy, kind of like I do with my smoking meats like ribs and brisket

nex

We have two major biltong and other spice manufacturers and it seems
both are available in the US, Freddy Hirsch and Crown National
99% of south africans use either or both.

You might try and google them PZ

PZ

Thanks nex; I did so and found it on Amazon (both of them) but they are quite expensive (nearly a dollar an ounce) so I think I'll begin with some home made seasoning as my first try. I need to wait until I can get some beef at a more reasonable price too.

In Googling methods I find people cut the thickness of each slice from 1 cm to 4 cm thick. I think I'll start somewhere in the middle. Too thin and it is just beef jerky in my opinion.

I'll be sure to post pics of my adventure as I progress  O0

nex

nex

I'd rather use Worcestershire Sauce than Vinegar PZ.

PZ

Sounds good to me too nex - I don't like the mental image of sour meat

Art Blade

indeed.. and Worcestershire sauce is a nice thing to have, and use, of course :)

BinnZ

Look what I found:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So I tasted it; not exactly my thing. But my wife really loves it!

8) O0
"No hay luz"

PZ

I've made jerky for decades and my wife loved it. Once nex coached me into making my first biltong, she won't eat my jerky any more. I guess I have changed my method of drying beef.  :gnehe:

mandru

I'm not able to get around the taste of wild game as it's too strong for me.  The only way I've been able to (not only stand but actually) enjoy the taste of our local venison/elk is from a jerking recipe my uncle uses.  However I have to be careful about not entering his camp trailer when he's back from a hunt and setting about curing the jerky.  He's most likely out there in the trailer frying up and snacking on the (for me) oppressively reeking deer or elk livers while drying the batches.  :-X

Even his wife makes him process the meat out of the house and away from her kitchen.

Me?  Yeah, I always wait till he brings the bagged jerky up to the house.  :anigrin:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

nex

Quote from: BinnZ on July 23, 2019, 06:01:41 AM
Look what I found:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So I tasted it; not exactly my thing. But my wife really loves it!

8) O0
Nice, I just hope it tastes like conventional Biltong BinnZ   O0

nex

Quote from: PZ on July 23, 2019, 07:09:32 AM
I've made jerky for decades and my wife loved it. Once nex coached me into making my first biltong, she won't eat my jerky any more. I guess I have changed my method of drying beef.  :gnehe:
Relieved to hear PZ, I was worried the method you used would change the taste, that's why I didn't check up you.
Being winter now I've made about three kilo's biltong.
If you at anytime spot a packet of Crown National Safari Biltong spice PZ, grab it, it's one of the best
on the market, I stared using it last winter and is all I'm using.
https://www.amazon.com/Crown-National-Safari-Biltong-Seasoning/dp/B00ZY07C5M

PZ

It's now on my list, nex  :thumbsup:

I'm needing to make some more because I'm now almost out - down to my last package.

EDIT: I think I found it from another vendor at Amazon

Tags:
🡱 🡳