Prepare for... THE DOOMSDAY!!!!!!!

Started by BinnZ, December 07, 2017, 10:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

O0 I find myself doing the same thing when I fire up GTA V. No grinding for money, just free-roaming and sometimes being a d*** in a Hydra :gnehe:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

:anigrin:

ah, on a separate note, regarding a new installation and updates of a game you already own.

If you still have the old hard drive with steam on it, you can copy-paste the old folder into your new steam folder and save yourself the updates you've already got. It works like this:

New installation from steam will create a folder with those weird numbers for folder names, I'd say it's their store catalogue ID for the game. Once the installation has started, disconnect as in, quit steam.

Now look for your new steam folder, sorted by date, usually inside the steam app folder, for a new entry. Remember the folder's "name" and compare that to your old HD's steam folders. You should find the same structure and entry. Copy-paste the old content over into your new folder.

Resume installation by restarting steam. It will check for the interrupted installation, find its folder, compare it against what still needs to be installed and continue from there -- from your old content. Like that, you either don't have to download anything anymore, steam will finish and register the game with windows and then it will be ready for use or it will only install those updates that you never had and register it and it will be ready for use.

;)

LowPolyOWG

I'm currently considering getting an external hard drive. As I'm not playing on my desktop and the DL speed is noticeably slower in Sauda, I can transfer the Steam folder from my desktop into the external drive, plug that into the laptop and run my games from there :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I got the update mostly because I may want to play online in the future when they finally hook up the cable around here. Trucks were outside my house a week ago hooking up more wires, but still no contact from them about signing up. They are still stringing wire around the area and haven't hooked up the new system yet as far as I can tell. But when they do, I'll try online and see how it goes. But yeah, the last time I ran the game I just drove around at high speed, weaving in and out of traffic and evading the cops. I guess if you get 100% in the game, there are a few side missions like finding bigfoot or something? and the UFO too, but I really don't have interest in that.

Thing is, as soon as I installed the GTA update, Wolfenstein II started updating, for over 5GB for the new DLC. So I have the portable at w0#k again, making a backup of that, but at least I'm still playing that game, but as it was in update mode, I couldn't play it last night when I wanted to.   :'(
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

it's becoming a bit of a nuisance, those updates. It feels as if every time I log on to steam, something needed updating.

Art Blade

oh, ask Binn about 100% and all that. I never got that far. But if you ever get that internet connection, I'm all in and show you around the online world in a relaxed way, no funny missions and all that, if you're interested. I'd like to do that with you, that weaving in and out of traffic, that's essentially the city race I mentioned. :)

And get a working headset. :anigrin:

BinnZ

You are more than welcome in GTA Online D_B! A working headset would be cool indeed, makes it much more fun and easier to find the right stuff that you may like.

Btw Art, the new heists, there are 3 (!) are pretty cool. They are different from the original heists, but the basics are the same.
You have to complete several setups in order to go for the 'big one'. You will start both setups and finale from a lobby so you can play with or without whoever you want.
What's different though, is that for each setup mission you have to do a so called PREP mission. It basically means you have to get certain vehicles that you will need for your setup. It can be a special car, helicopter or for example an ambulance to get medical gear. These prep missions have to be done in a session, so it's no separated mission. I still have to find out if you can do those in a private session, my fear is that you can only start these in public. The prep missions aren't that difficult though, and not very inspiring either. But it's a good way to get a hang of certain new vehicles.
I only have experience with 2 new vehicles, which is the Akula fighting heli, based of a Comanche, and the Luxedo; a car that can hover over both land and sea and can even fly. Hovering with it is really cool.
Something else that is new, and interesting, is that you can do all setups AND finale's with a select amount of players; 2, 3 or 4 players. So if you want to, you can do an entire heist with just the two of us. And the prep missions look like regular CEO missions and will be done with any members of your organization. You can also do them alone, which I did. That was basically because I didn't yet find out how to get other friends to join me in my preps. They were with me in my facility, even inside my heist planning room, while I activated the prep. They weren't part of my org though, which was the explanation for them not being part of it.
To start the heist you need a facility. It's an underground bunker with a huge invironment. You have a parking space there, both for dedicated vehicles and 7 regular empty spaces for cars and such. You will also have a vehicle workshop to modify your special vehicles, you will have a security room with gun lockers, a living quarters, a bedroom, a server room, a heist planning room, an orbital cannon and even more. It's a cool place, better than the original bunker and with more options and far better design. The prices start at 1.5 million, most of them are in the vicinity of the desert. One is close to fort Zancudo though, another is at Paleto Bay and there is also one at the Land Act Reservoir. The latter is the one I got, and closest to the city. Upgrading it will of course cost more money, but I guess if you don't go for the fanciest stuff and a cheaper location you can get a nice facility for 2 to 2.5 million.

Will let you know about the preps, whether you can start them in a private session or not. That should be perfect. ;)

Here's pic of the big hall in my Facility:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Nice BinnZ!

Yeah I'll happily join a private session with you D_B and the rest of us. Just a tip: If you encounter a player in golden vehicles, being chased by the police and wearing a cowboy hat, you might have spotted OWGKID on the street :anigrin:

fragger

Thanks for the tip Art, but my game doesn't reside on Steam. Anyway, I'm not really interested in getting back into it now ;)

Art Blade

welcome, and me neither (but I still have it)  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

haha, yeah I'd love to fool around causing trouble with you guys. A headset you say..... you mean for voice comms? Probably better than Steam chat to communicate, lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

yes, and the voice chat actually works through steam chat :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

TeamSpeak/Discord is better, but we don't have either for OWG.

Just found out on the Newswire you can recover the DA revolver. It will be available for use in RDR2, but being a console exclusive game, it sucks for us PC gamers.

Art Blade

I avoid any programs that are not necessary. Any voice chat programs are potential security risks, I used to use several of those, ranging from team speak over Ventrilo to ICQ and there were several significant security breaches caused by those programs. So.. steam, we all have got it, it works absolutely well. So I won't use anything else.

LowPolyOWG

Tags:
🡱 🡳