Hash brown "pizza"

Started by PZ, February 12, 2017, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

This is not really a pizza by general standards, but looks like one.  We love hash browns so we have them quite often. We purchase the dried shreds and rehydrate.  Winco is our store of choice because they sell them in bulk. I had an idea for a different way to make them:
  • 2 cups of dried potato shreds - topped with water and into the microwave for 2 minutes
  • Let the potatoes hydrate for 15 or more minutes - until they feel right
  • Add oil to a cast iron pan and heat while the potatoes are hydrating
  • Shred a couple of cups of cheddar cheese
  • Drain the water from the potatoes, then into the hot pan on the stove top
  • Top with the cheese and cook the potatoes until the cheese just melts - in the meantime, heat the oven to 400F
  • With the bottom browned, into the oven the pan goes until the edges are crisp
My missus loved them so much she said they were the best she has ever eaten - I've made them 5 times in the last 3 days.

Art Blade

PZ

Thanks!  It is really crunchy on the bottom, and light and fluffy in the middle with a melted cheese top.  Put a runny yolk egg on top and it is a perfect breakfast.

Art Blade

Dang, you make me hungry. Again. ;D

PZ

:D

I'm learning to cook now that I'm retired  ;)

Art Blade

add "even better" = "I'm learning how to cook even better.."

You have always been our local 5 star chef! :)

PZ

;D  You're way too kind, AB!

Art Blade

invite me over, wait until after we finished eating and then say that again.  ;D

PZ

Art Blade

I'd love to but unfortunately, it's not very likely. However, we don't know what the future has up its sleeve  ;D

PZ

LowPolyOWG

Ahh hash browns, I remember them from our school trip to California  :) Very tasty indeed.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Sounds like you do not have them in your area?

LowPolyOWG

Hash brown isn't a typical Norwegian food, PZ ;) Well, we do fry potatoes for dinner, but we don't grind them to shreds.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

We eat potatoes all ways, boiled, baked, fried, etc., and in all shapes. Hash browns, when prepared correctly, are crispy like potato chips on the outside, and moist and tender on the inside.

🡱 🡳