My GTX780 died on me

Started by BinnZ, December 19, 2017, 02:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I don't fully understand all this crypto-currency stuff, but surely it can't possibly be good for a conventional economy, in the long run. Any kind of monetary system that is essentially based on arbitrary value assignment and isn't backed by anything concrete is almost guaranteed to fall over at some point. It has to, it's inherently unsustainable. Then there will be graphics cards galore available, I suppose...

American greenbacks are sort of backed by oil, at least ("propped up" by oil might be a better description). But what are the likes of Bitcoin etc. backed by? Gold? No. Diamonds? No. Movement of electrons? Yes. Well, that's a really stable base to build a non-physical psuedo-economy on, isn't it? ::)

LowPolyOWG

Yeah, it's volatile. BTC was 20 000 USD, now it's at 8800.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Like any other fad, the only winners were the ones in at the beginning. Those that jump on the band wagon are more often than not, the losers in the game.

BinnZ

I think you could state that the value of a bit-coin is represented by the computing power used to design it. But it is weird in a way... I've heard that the higher the number of bit-coins produced, the harder it becomes to compute new bit-coins, although there's a limited amount of bit-coins that can be created.
And in the long run, with stronger, faster and more economical GPU's available, the value of what the coin represents devaluates quickly.
They only reason for its popularity is the fact that you can buy stuff anonymous and easy and don't need to stash your savings on a bank, making your money untraceable for the feds, am I right? So basically very interesting for criminals.

Gkid, are you still running your cryptomining test operation?
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

You are correct about that, it's the network (computers) that authorize transactions and generate the coins. Well, I haven't bothered with mining for a while. I did bought 2 ETH for about 500 euros this summer. Decided to invest them into altcoins (which are cheaper and supposedly more profitable over time)

nex

I think we're jinxed, first BinnZ's gpu packs up, then fragger seems to have gpu issues,
and now my gpu decided it's time to push up daisy's also   :angry-new:
found a Gigabyte 1060 6gb gpu, at a inflated price I might add (the last and only 1060 they have),
the supplier even offered to install it at no extra cost.
After arriving home, plugged all the paraphernalia in and restart, oops gpu's fans
are not working, checked in device manager, gpu not even listed  ???   
phoned the supplier, oh s##t sir, I'm soooo sorry, can you manage until we get new stock in.
Ok, so when are you getting the new stock in? It should be here tomorrow sir, tomorrow arrived, but the stock didn't    >:(   
So now I'm running on Windows graphics drivers untill I can get a replacement   :ranting:
Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

Oh no, poor Nexor! Well, according to GKID the prices are dropping again and stock is making its way to the shops now. So it will probably be only a short exclusion time... still pretty bad though :sad-new:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

I'm already weary.. I was considering buying a new one myself (no problems with the current one though, only I'd like to have 6 or more GB) so let's hope for the best.

Quote from: nex on April 17, 2018, 10:24:36 AMtomorrow arrived, but the stock didn't

That is a funny punchline :thumbsup: :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

Dang, that's sad, Nex  :'( Are you able to check your power cables? Were they connected to the GPU at all?  :huh-new: Did you try a fresh Nvidia GeForce Experience install? If you did, well, no other option than to wait. :banghead:

nex

The card is definitely faulty GKID, or it's a secret service card, now you see it in device manager, now you don't   ::)
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

Then it's faulty then...

Quote from: Art Blade on April 17, 2018, 11:10:18 AM
I'm already weary.. I was considering buying a new one myself (no problems with the current one though, only I'd like to have 6 or more GB) so let's hope for the best.

Nvidia Turing coming soon.

fragger

Quote from: nex on April 17, 2018, 10:24:36 AM
I think we're jinxed, first BinnZ's gpu packs up, then fragger seems to have gpu issues...

I do? I don't recall reporting anything like that, unless it was way back with my old rig. But then, I have memory issues - and I'm not talking about the plug-in variety :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Think you mentioned your old rig croaked earlier in November ;)

Remember this?

Art Blade

I think I'm not alone anymore when it comes to remembering something for someone else.

Art Blade

I was checking the availability of big nVidia GPUs and apparently an OEM version is available, an 11GB GTX 1080Ti for around 1,100 Euros.

Tags:
🡱 🡳