What are you doing for New Year?

Started by PZ, December 30, 2017, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

Yes saw the pictures of the New Year's Firework show in Sidney; Nice! Happy New Year Fragger!
"No hay luz"

PZ

Well, after my morning ritual of Internet browsing and coffee, I'm going to start the pork butt roasting in the SRG (a propane smoker/roaster). It was slathered with mustard and coated with Bad Byron's butt rub a couple of days ago.

A slight menu change for the night - last night I made Zuppa Toscana, and that will also be served today. It is a savory soup with linguica, home ground pork sausage, bacon, potatoes, kale, chicken stock, and heavy cream.

While the pork is roasting, I'm preparing the freshly ground tri-tip from the other day for sliders that people can eat plain or with the works. I'll cook these to order.  This was one of the best tri-tips I have ever had - was highly marbled like Waygu beef. The meat was blended with Montreal steak seasoning before freezing for two days. Today they will be shaped into slider patties and coated with stockyard seasoning, then browned on a hot griddle.

Yesterday I purchased several cheeses, among them a Brie de Normandie that I sampled last night - it was a creamy perfection of ripeness - almost like a mild Camembert. My wife is baking fresh European style crusty bread to serve with the cheese, which will accompany salami and prosciutto sliced paper thin.

Yesterday we purchased a Champagne to greet guests with when they arrive, and then a few bottles of Prosecco to toast in the New Year. Also being served is a Poinsettia, a cocktail with my wife's holiday cranberry/citrus tea, Cointreau (or orange liqueur), and champagne (or some kind of sparkling wine - we'll probably use Prosecco). It is lightly sweet, refreshing and festive.  I've also decided to make Martha Stewart's eggnog, which is creamy, with fluffy egg white floaties, brandy, rum, and bourbon.

Holiday cookies will also abound, including my favorite Parmesan shortbread. I have to bake another batch today because I ate them all last week. My wife also made almond shortbread and Russian tea cakes.

Well, now that I have sort of organized my cooking day, I should start soon.

Happy holidays to you all, and best wishes for a wonderful day.  O0

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on December 31, 2017, 08:58:23 AMBad Byron's butt rub

for some reason, that created a scene before my mind's eye:

In a drug store: "Hi, I'd like to buy some of Bad Byron's butt rub. My wife's cellulite is really getting better with that."

Apart from that, sounds really good :anigrin: Have a good one, enjoy O0

PZ

:D

So far so good - the pork is in the roaster, and I'm starting Martha Stewart's eggnog  :bigsmile:

fragger

Happy New Year to you too, BinnZ :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone here has a wonderful day today :) Anyone visiting PZ today certainly will, by the sound of it :cooking2:

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

fragger

Art Blade

PZ

Well, everything went spectacular, and just how I envisioned it. My favorite part of course is starting the bonfire - I had a huge pile of wood and simply threw diesel fuel on it to keep it started - the wood was damp and frosty. Soon I had a roaring blaze for everyone to gather around.

It was rather subdued in the bay this year - hardly anyone appeared to be celebrating  :undecided-new:

The food and friends were very pleasant, and all couples stayed the night this time, and we played games until 3am. It is now 8:15, and I'm enjoying coffee - I've not been this late in awakening in as long as I can remember; maybe it was Martha's eggnog  :gnehe:

BinnZ

Wow, that's a long night PZ :bigsmile:

Here it went also according the plan. My parents came over and we played monopoly until midnight. Then the wishes, some fireworks and I went to the neighbours after that for a couple of hours, since they invited us. My wife and daughter went to bed and parents back home. When I came back home, around 3 am, I fired up GTA to enjoy a little more snowy winter in LS.
Went to bed around 5 am and got up at 2:30 pm :o

Now just a super lazy day, and tomorrow working again ;)
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

I went up at 7 PM on saturday :anigrin:

Got home from the LAN party. Was a good time with my friend  :bigsmile:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

nex

Quite New Years eve for us, we had a Prawn and salad feast, finished off with a Don Pedro and then watched movies till midnight.

New Years morning started off with bacon and eggs for breakfast,
just had some fresh fruit for Lunch, I pickled and smoked a pork shoulder for New Years day,
together with our special rice salad and a potato salad, for desert we had traditional Christmas pudding with brandy butter.

I'm glad the festive season is over, now I can go back to normal food   :-X
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Sounds like you gents had a good time in bringing in the new year. I too spent a lazy day yesterday recovering from the festivities. My wife and I spent the day binge watching Downton Abbey. Today is back to w0#k for my wife, and cleaning up the party mess for me. For example, I'm looking out the bedroom window as I write and see that I left my can of diesel by the fire pit since the bonfire - lots to straighten up.  :gnehe:

Pickled and smoked shoulder sounds interesting nex. I've not heard of that before.

Dweller_Benthos

I didn't do much for New Year's Eve. It's been so cold here lately I haven't felt like doing much at all. I think that night it was -16°F (-26°C) so going outside wasn't going to happen. I played some video games and went to bed well before midnight and slept through it.

I am now officially old. lol.   :undecided-new:
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳