Things that drive you crazy on a Saturday morning

Started by Art Blade, January 13, 2018, 02:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I got up, had an espresso and went to my PC. It was a bit noisy, despite the water cooling, because there were still some old-fashioned fans running in it. But that wasn't a problem, I got the Asus AI Suite III for my Sabertooth Z97 Mark S motherboard and that program allowed for manually setting up fan speeds.

Only it wasn't in my task bar anymore.

Came to think of it, the icon had disappeared the other day but I hadn't actually realised it was gone, only in hindsight I remembered the missing icon.

I couldn't start the program at all but at least it was still there, only not in the taskbar. Why wouldn't it start? I went through all sorts of ideas down to checking for updates (none) and uninstalling it. Which, by the way, didn't w0#k either, and reinstalling, didn't w0#k, and installing a previous version which of course didn't w0#k either.

Unnerved, I started to dig through the net and yes, indeed, there were entries only a few days old that dealt with the same problem I had. Turned out there was a beta out, the only place you'd learn about it (and the only link to a download) was in the forum of Asus.

And after installing the beta over the remnants of the wrecked old program, it finally worked again.

Two hours after I started looking for a fix.

Oh, you wanted to know why it broke?

Because of a Microsoft Windows Update.

:banghead:

PZ

My wife experienced something similar - icons disappearing from the task bar, and although I did not do any research on it, I suspected it was a W10 update.

It seems to me that I more frequently start up my computers hoping that there are no game breaking failures created in the background by someone other than me.  :banghead:

fragger

MS can be so bloody dictatorial with it's updates. It's like an overly-strict parent: "What's this? I never said you could have this!" (throws it out the window)

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: PZ on January 13, 2018, 08:51:34 AM
My wife experienced something similar - icons disappearing from the task bar, and although I did not do any research on it, I suspected it was a W10 update.

Some apps/programs tend to do that by themselves :banghead: They remove the old shortcuts while installing a newer version. Not all programs are programmed like that, Steam doesn't delete your old shortcut/pin to taskbar when it installs an update. Blizzard's Bnet app tend to warn me about old shortcuts being removed before installing a new update ::)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

fragger

Actually GKID, Steam once did remove one of my shortcuts, to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, when it updated, and I'd made that shortcut myself because Steam didn't bother to. It also removed the entire game from my PC, which was why I never played it again :banghead: I was pretty much sick of the game anyway by then, but still.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳