Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by Art Blade, February 13, 2018, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

lol, I'm almost as excited as you sound, AB!

Art Blade

Hehe  :anigrin:

Something I know from watching different videos:

There is a little task to get money from a guy. You can either persuade him (apparently that keeps failing because of your lack of reputation and persuasion skills but that obviously is something you can build up and use successfully in later tasks) or beat him up in a fist-fight or sneak up on him and subdue him (choking him from behind until he loses consciousness) after which he'll surrender and lets you grab whatever you need or pick-pocket him or, after helping friends, call them to help you which ends in a 4 vs 1 brawl or steal items (actually retrieving them as he never paid for them) and sell them... that alone might give you an idea as to how much potential and free choice the game offers. I watched several encounters that essentially had the same options as described before. But be warned, if caught, people won't forget your deeds and it will affect your reputation. It can be useful to be a bit shady if you want to get that type of quests or to be the opposite for different quests.. virtually everything pans out differently and will affect the game.

Also, you can only save when sleeping in a bed or (with side effects) drinking a certain rare and expensive alcoholic beverage, I think it's called Savior Schnapps. Else there will be occasional auto-saves.

So no messing about with saving all the time.. you'll have to see it through and be considerate, you can't "just" play it.

HEY, steam just informed me the download has finished :) :) :)

PZ

Oh man start it up!

I sure wish something like you described was a feature of FC2.  :thumbsup:

I don't know why FC2 is such a favorite, but I have never stopped fondly remembering the game.

Art Blade

Installation was "download and play." No hiccups.

Alright, I just had to at least test it until the first auto-save.

The game set the graphics to High by itself, I quickly checked every single setting. I'll leave it be for now. The cinematic sweeps and intro sequences were completely fluid, and the first few steps were smooth as silk. It does look like in the vids, only this time I'm the one controlling it :anigrin:

It's looking good O0

PZ

Art Blade

PZ

??? That has to be some kind of record!

Congratz!  O0

Art Blade

I haven't said much since I installed it. As soon as I started playing, I was overwhelmed. I'm afraid the game, when played, feels so intense that you can't capture that with screenshots. I do have a few panoramic "lotsa trees" pics but they look a bit dull out of the whole context.

If you want to know what it's like, watch the first vid in this topic. That's exactly what you get, only it looks better in my case, as I can play it now rather than watching vids about it :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Good to hear that you found a great game you enjoy :bigsmile: O0
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Art Blade

I downloaded a mod that allows me to save whenever I want. Only the game tells you to override a previous savegame as soon as you saved 10. Meaning, I backup my saves manually and else, I keep overriding. The mod comes in two flavours, with and without Saviour Schnapps as prerequisite -- I chose with (only need to keep one bottle in my inventory) so it's closest to the original game. It has helped a lot, I have to say, because I like to experiment. In this game you don't experiment without a prior savegame.

Before I got the mod, one incident had happened that made me get the mod. :anigrin: I was at a castle wall trying to find the entrance, running along the wall. Then the ground became a cliff and, unlike in the movies, I fell and shattered most of my bone structure. Or so it "felt," as I was limping slowly with half of my life energy left and that meant half of my stamina, too. No running. I bandaged myself with perhaps five bandages to stop the bleeding or at least slow it down. Broken feet didn't make me any faster. And I had to crawl around the bottom of the cliff, still trying to find the entrance..  :banghead:

Now, with the save mod, I don't have to worry about that type of stuff anymore. Same goes for glitches when the game doesn't recognise some commands or you get stuck between a bridge and a knoll (silly but it happened) and other weird glitches. Reloading has helped so far. ;)

PZ

Being able to reload a saved game is definitely the best way to go in any game. I do not know why the developers insist that we start over from some ridiculous point that has always been in my experience, to my detriment, frustration, and not too infrequently causes me to dump the game altogether.

fragger

I hate checkpoint systems and the like. I've given up on at least one game because of it (yes, you, Tomb Raider Anniversary). Glad you found a way around it, Art :thumbsup:

Art Blade

cheers :)

In a way, it's sad that I have to use the mod. It was a very "life like" erm.. sim? I think "medieval sim" isn't far from the truth. The game saves a) if you possess and drink a bottle of Saviour Schnapps, b) after sleeping, or c) at the beginning of something that marks the end of, let's call it a chapter. Sometimes, if some type of major event took place, that also might cause a save. Basically it's like end the chapter, save, start next one. Chapter is actually a new or a new part of a quest.

It may well be that you experience a whole (in-game) day without auto-saves. That means, you might have done a lot during that day -- in other words, you might have achieved something that probably wasn't easy at all, without any rewarding saves for that matter. And then you get stuck trying to cross a tiny rivulet, stuck between bank and bridge, a tiny, wooden bridge suitable for one person, and you get stuck without any chance of escape. No wriggling, no jumping, no turning.. you're done. Load previous game, from "a day ago" almost literally. :banghead: If it wasn't for that, I would have continued without mod. But that actually had happened to me.

Playing vanilla with that "many" savegames gives the whole experience some meaning. It's quite something when.. the following actually happened, so it was quite something when I realised I had to (quest) leave the castle in which I was not held captive but the lord had ordered me to stay rather than to go back to the village I had seen slaughtered, where my parents died and have been lying in the mud, dogs and marauders picking over their bodies.. my goal was to get back and bury them. And I wasn't allowed to leave, the guards and in particular, the gate keeper knew that, too. I had to disguise myself so I looked like the guards with a helmet so I could fool the gate keeper who would let me pass. I made a little deal with him but still I needed armour.

There was no armour lying around. I had to steal it from a locked chest in a room I wasn't allowed to enter. Trespassing and picking a lock.. doesn't look good when a guard catches you red-handed.. which was exactly what kept happening to me. I tried to use stealth and choke one guard from behind which worked like a charm the first two times (you see, one time I died and had to reload) but when I was stuck in the room I wanted to escape from, with a guard opening the door and now standing there, the game wouldn't recognise that I had more than enough space to walk around the guard and out the door. He only wanted me to leave the room but he was in my way. Stupid. Then he got angry. I escaped but got caught. I didn't have the money to buy my way out of prison so I landed in it. Reputation now somewhat ruined, lost a few days behind iron bars, it wasn't what I wanted. Reload? Yes, and be more careful next time.

So, in a way I learned to either accept the consequences of whatever I did or reload. Reloading wasn't half bad when you screwed up after a short time but it was bad when you couldn't save for quite some time. I could live with it, it made me more careful and I had to consider the outcome before doing something because it felt real enough when someone yelled, "thief!" and the guards come running at you with drawn swords.

Now, I'm simply not willing to be forced to reload a normal save game just because some weird glitch froze me in place. Now I save after anything that I consider worth saving :anigrin:

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳