Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by Art Blade, February 13, 2018, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Yes, that is the cool thing about our core membership and their adventure posts - we may not all play the same games, but it sure is nice to see how different games are played  O0

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on April 22, 2018, 03:41:24 PMI don't like melee-combat games, or ones with medieval settings

This is for a change something here that actually works, and if you've trained sufficiently, it is rather enjoyable. I really like those finishing moves (called mercy kill) as a proper rewarding end of a fight :evil2:

BATTLE AXE! UAAAAARRRRRRR!! BLOOD RUSH!!! :anigrin:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Haha, berserker mode :D

Indeed, chaps :) One of these days another game might come along that will draw all of us in, just as FC2 brought us all together originally. Until then, it's still entertaining to read about what everyone is into. I never get sick of reading you guys' accounts 8)

Art Blade

same here :)

Without going into detail, shooters don't w0#k for me anymore unless something like FO4's VATS assists me or I pull off some lucky shots or someone else does the shooting for me (which takes the fun out of a shooter) or, see archery, I can "deal" with static or slow-moving targets which means, here, hand-to-hand combat, with opponents and enemies that are virtually in my face, those I can't miss :evil2:

fragger

I guess that's where we differ, as I love a good shooter, but they're getting harder to find. I'm not talking about in-game shooting mechanics, but the nature of the game that the shooting takes place in. They're usually criminally short in the SP campaign department (CoD), way too overly-scripted and linear (CoD again) or the storyline has been done to death (actually, CoD scores a hat trick here). I haven't tried Wildlands or The Division or any of the Tom Clancy-style games as they're not really my cup of tea - I'm kind of over army guy-type shooters.

FO4 fits the bill for me because it's something a bit different from your usual shooter. It still has solid shooting attributes (even without V.A.T.S., which I rarely use) with nice weapon sounds and feel, and is very much an open-world experience without being too RPG-ish. The graphics may not be cutting edge (but they're still pretty darned good, especially the environmental aspects like time-of-day lighting and weather effects) but everything else the game has to offer makes up for it.

I don't get into melee combat in FO4 apart from the occasional weapon bash if my clip runs out and a bad guy is right in my face :gnehe: Even so, the game caters quite well to the melee-lover with swords, knives, clubs, truncheons, nightsticks, baseball bats, sledgehammers, knuckledusters, pipe wrenches, tire irons, pool cues, boxing gloves, power fists, bits of wood... bare fists...

Art Blade

I'd like to play a proper sniper game. Only the whole bunch of games out there are usually everything but, I'm talking from experience, I played a whole lot of those titles that had "sniper" in them. A proper sniper can stay away from the hot spot, observes the target and finds the best possible opportunity and then strikes, packs up and fucks off. :anigrin: But there's nothing like that out there. The only game that sort of allows that kind of gameplay is Hitman, which I'm a huge fan of. I say sort of because targets are never in a suitable spot without a couple of bodyguards or other guards and you will leave a body that might get discovered before you can leave the map to finish the mission. So while you can shoot your way through the whole map, which is a lot of fun, it isn't a shooter. You score most if you kill completely unnoticed and undetected. Fun game, really, and in a way, a class of game of its own. A good fun shooter would be Saints Row The Third. It's a bit like the over-the-top version of GTA5. It is crazy funny madness and you can go berserk there, really a fun game, and a fun story, and SP. There is even a co-op option for the whole game, and I played both ways. However, been there, done that. Maybe that's still something for you, though :)

Art Blade

downloaded a 1.3 GB patch

Fixed issues:

*Cutscene after completion of "Questions and Answers" quest now triggers properly.
*Game no longer crashes after interrogating the captive in "Questions and Answers"
*Rattay armorer should no longer get stuck in infinite sleep behaviour.
*Player with an equipped bow can now be dehorsed by enemies.
*Player can no longer lock on a non-existing opponent.
*Fixed instant game over bug in Baptism of Fire quest.
*Crashes after timeskip/fast travel should no longer occur.
*Game no longer crashes after "The Sport of Kings" quest.
*Crash after walking into Straw's house during the "Pestilence" quest is fixed.
*Crash after finishing the "Pestilence" quest is fixed.
*Very rare crash after loading a game is fixed.

Art Blade

The only bug out of those mentioned above that I had encountered was the one regarding the Rattay armourer. His shop had been permanently closed (locked door) while behind that door his apprentice and the shop guard were there. When I unlocked the door (first by lockpicking, later I had a stolen key) and walked in, I was trespassing which alarmed the guard but when I was quick enough, I was still able to do business with the apprentice, and then run out again so there wouldn't be any harsh consequences (like, the guard trying to arrest me) which was quite a bit annoying. I went into the house and the one adjacent, at night on tiptoes, and finally found the armourer sleeping in a bed that was located in one of the rooms that belonged to the bailiff. Really weird. He'd always stay in bed. I was already considering it to be part of some quest, like "the armourer fell ill" type of thing. But it was only a funny bug :) And yes, they fixed it, the armourer's shop is open for business again :)

Speaking of bugs, harmless ones, today I encountered two. First, my fast travel was interrupted by an "attack on the road" which is a random event. I stopped, saved, and had a lengthy fight against two bandits and two Cumans. When I was looting the bodies, I noticed that there were only three. Trying to find the last one, I noticed a Cuman standing with his back turned on me (it was still night) and I fired arrows at him. I hit him once, he stumbled looked around, and resumed the same position. I was using piercing arrows that should have gone right through his chainmail. So I fired another one. And another one. A couple of them. Same result. I thought wow, funny, he really doesn't see me, good stealth outfit, and also wow, he can take quite some damage, does he have some kind of armour I can't pierce or is it perhaps some kind of "tough" boss of the Cumans? It was weird. So I poisoned my next arrow and hit. Same result. Another poisoned one. Same result. STRANGE. That would have killed an elephant. I waited for the poison to take effect, sometimes it does that, takes a bit until they croak from poison. Nothing happened. Then I approached him from behind, prepared to perform a stealth kill, when I saw the prompt "mercy kill"—nothing else. Which means, the guy should have been down on the ground, about to croak, and the mercy kill would have shortened that process. WEIRD. Obviously bugged out. So I bashed him over the head with my massive battle axe. He tumbled but returned to the same stance as before. Another stroke, same result. I thought well, alright, this is a bug. At least not some superhuman invulnerability of a boss. I checked my axe stats that I still have to progress, and whacked him and clobbered him, checked the stats again: no progress. So, unfortunately, I couldn't even exploit the bug. So let's reload from when I encountered that group.

Which caused the second bug. I saw a dark screen (alright, forest, at night, nothing unusual) that started to fill with what was the nearest town's inn (well-lit, I have to add) where I had played a game of dice (the last thing I did before fast-travelling) with "the master fresco painter," a quest-related guy, so he was not just any random guy. Completely unusual was that I found myself sitting at the table and it was my first turn to throw the dice. You cannot save when sitting anywhere, let alone during a game of dice. I played and won (again) and right after I won, the screen changed again and turned dark, it was completely loaded with the forest and my horse in front of me. So no loading, it was all there already. Except for the gang of bandits and Cumans, they simply didn't exist. I was on my own, with my horse. I reloaded again, same result—played dice, won again (but different score, so it wasn't rigged) and ended up next to my horse. REALLY weird :anigrin:

fragger

I guess it takes time to round up all the bugs in what would have to be an extremely complicated bit of programming. Devs can only be expected to test for a reasonable amount of time as the game has to go out the door at some point, or no biz gets done. Given the plethora of PC configs out there and the attendant huge number of potential conflicts and clashes, they can only test for so many eventualities before release. But I think what makes a good vendor stand out is how promptly they attend to the reported bugs that they didn't catch before release, and it sounds as though these guys are on the case, which is worth a pat on the back :thumbsup:

Art Blade

PZ

Indeed, but even within companies, there are development groups that are very competent, releasing a near perfect game, and other groups that can barely tie their shoes. AC Origins and FC5 come to mind.

LowPolyOWG

Indeed. I think Ubisoft got good games, problem is (according to Jim Sterling) they are too happy with their open world formula. Heck, there are hardly anything unique separating their games, aside from settings. R6 siege might be the exception though.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

True, but there are significant differences. For example, in Origins they broke from the tradition that you cannot climb all things, which may not be all that authentic, but sure is fun. In contrast in FC5, there are still many places you should be able to scale that you cannot. They still have only a few places you can actually climb when compared to the number of potential places. Essentially, they still have not strayed that far from the original FC2 model, in contrast to the AC series.

Art Blade

heh, funny side note: I only just now realised that I got an achievement called "serial killer" for killing 200 people (along with the achievement for killing Runt) and that obviously popped up during and after that battle. By the time I achieved it, I had racked up roughly 400 hours of gameplay. So this shows how it isn't such a brutal game. Only one kill every two hours, on average. OK, there were times (that battle) when I killed probably 10 or more people in perhaps 10 or more minutes :anigrin: So that has already been factored in. And I think it's pretty accurate to say that I spend a lot of time doing who knows what and then I really mean to kill some bad guys so I go looking for trouble. And usually I find it :anigrin:

It's simple: fast-travel through forests and try to plot a long route across the map—the random events tend to pop up when you do and those mostly involve armed enemies. Even more so if you travel at night. Downside of night-travelling is, you don't see them. So I've abstained from doing those night trips on purpose, now I try to travel by day and at night I try to do something else. :)

PZ

It is too bad I cannot get into medieval settings because the game sounds good.

Of course, I'm now a bit negatively Pavlovian regarding playing at night  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳