Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by Art Blade, February 13, 2018, 04:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Well done mate, that was quite an adventure :thumbsup: :)

... until the next one, that is :gnehe:

PZ

Indeed - it is quite evident that you really got into the game  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

So I've started a new playthrough :anigrin:

Just out of curiosity I checked the prerequisites of a few of the very rare achievements to see whether or not I wanted to achieve them. The answer is: "no." :anigrin: They'd take most of the fun out of the game, which is why they're so rare. Obviously, I want to have fun so sod that, I'm not one of those obsessive trophy hunters. :gnehe:

Now I'm doing what I learned when it was too late to benefit from it: Gain experience in certain areas to level up some skills while the tutorial-like first part of the game is still on. When you start in the town of Skalitz, the time of the day doesn't progress. In other words, you've got all the time you want to do what you can within Skalitz, which you cannot leave unless you progress the story.

herbalist
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

For instance, I've been picking herbs and flowers like a maniac, I'm already at level 11 in herbalism, and by reaching level 10, I unlocked a perk that combines herb-plucking with levelling up strength. Along with the herbalism activity, I've also already got a perk for an additional boost of 2 levels in vitality and a perk that gives you a boost of additional 2 levels of charisma as long as you're carrying 30 flowers or herbs in your pockets. So, early goodies that I had unlocked quite a bit later in my previous playthrough. I'll keep doing stuff like that in order to start out better equipped than the last time.

Then I remember having read about levelling up strength early on by punching animals, preferably big ones like cows, so I tried it. A guard saw me punching those creatures and, lacking speech skills, I couldn't talk myself out of it which caused me to end up in jail. And then the game started outside, the attack on Skalitz, while I was in my cell, and I heard people screaming and someone saying they hoped Henry was safe somewhere because they hadn't seen him in the crowd, and then I died in the burning prison ??? (I had a hunch so I saved before punching cows and of course I didn't do that after reloading :anigrin: )

However, that unlocked an achievement called "firestarter," the play on words cracked me up :laughsm:

firestarter
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Man, you seem to be playing KCD like I played FC2  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

that's probably so, indeed.

I know I wrote lots of analytical stuff for FC2 (remember the disappearing cars, how I conducted various experiments to find out about it and how to keep a car?) but I never really liked it because of many aspects such as degrading weapons and the whole world chasing you, non-functional stealth including the camo vest, malaria attacks and more. I spent a lot of time on FC2 but only because I was able to cheat the living daylights out of it which was the only way to enjoy it for me.

KCD is a different story. A little bit of cheating just for convenience, but mostly I play by the rules. This game has an incredible depth to it. The story is absolutely fantastic. Every quest is fun and fascinating. Decisions really impact the whole game experience, it matters what you do or don't do. And the freedom to do what you want to do is just unprecedented. Also, the whole sandbox environment, it is just great. I really can't get enough of it all :anigrin:

I know that despite playing all side quests available to me in my previous playthrough, there are many more that I didn't unlock. It had to do with choices and (missed) opportunities. This time around I hope to fetch a couple of side quests that I haven't played but I know exist. Also, some parts of the main quest I want to tackle differently. It will be a different experience this time. I already did things differently and it already paid off :)

PZ

I do recall your experiments, and I have to agree about the annoyances. At one time I was done with FC2 until I purchased the PC version and started modding the heck out of it.

Art Blade

everything I read on this forum here about other games (almost exclusively UBI*bleep* games) makes me wonder, don't people want something different? Is UBI*bleep* really on the right track with how they design their games? At least mainstream seems to w0#k that way now. People don't have to think anymore, everything is marked (from the enemies to the path to get there) and you don't have to (actually, you cannot) decide anything because the game does it for you.

KCD is different. Which is why I love it. :)

LowPolyOWG

Probably not :-X Their games are kind of fun to play, but their familiarity makes them somewhat generic. Basically games you play between games, as soon you find something more interesting, you leave it behind.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

alright, everyone politely and very briefly clap their hands for UBI*bleep*, the side show, and then get up for a roaring standing ovation for the main course, the bastion of gaming, something for real gamers: everything and anything that's not UBI*bleep*. Like KCD. :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

UBI*bleep*, like an old-fashioned classic cheap portion of fish and chips, with vinegar, of course, stuffed in a cone made of an old newspaper, sold by a shabby street vendor somewhere on the bank of the river Thames. If you're hungry, it's a great thing to have.

And then gleefully toss it over the fence, describing a high arc into the river, when the limousine picks you up for a royal dinner at Buckingham.

LowPolyOWG

I know what I will get from that and I like it  :-X Jim Sterling is right, UBI*bleep* games are just digital junk food :anigrin:

Art Blade

suum cuique—each to their own. :gnehe: In other words, if you like it, play it :) I'm not condemning the players who play UBI*bleep*'s *bleep*. I condemn UBI*bleep* for having lost their ability to innovate.

LowPolyOWG

O0 I can fully agree on that :) Might as well tell that to CoD and the other large AAA franchises ::)

Art Blade

back on topic:

I've done most of the introduction type of quest (saw the massacre, fled, and just "escaped" the castle—it was more of a protective custody sort of stay—in order to return to Skalitz where to bury Henry's parents) but ha! I knew better this time and rented a room in the nearby inn first because there I can stash my stuff in that magic chest. No need to hurry. Funny how games tend to hurry you sometimes while really you don't have to. :anigrin: However, KCD might be a bit deceptive. Remember when I was late and by that, ruined my chance of convicting a murderer? Not this time, it just tells you to "run!" which is the quest's name, and it refers to fleeing the castle. Sir Divish in Talmberg (where that castle is located) was ordered by Sir Radzig to keep me in the castle and from escaping. So I had to sneak out by tricking the guard. I already knew what to do and came prepared. He let me out instantly :anigrin: So now, just a stone's throw from the castle, I rented my room.

Next I'll get knocked out by Runt who is then supposed to steal Sir Radzig's sword from me. But this time, I stuffed it into the magic chest and will not have it on me. I guess it will be a scripted event and likely produce a clone of that sword while I keep the original in my magic chest. Or the game removes it from there. I'll let you know  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳