Playstation 5 incoming; Devs already provided with dev kits

Started by LowPolyOWG, March 09, 2018, 05:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah so it's not the final form factor? That's good because it looks like some kind of weird toilet seat, lol
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Sony revealed some new PS5 info at CES. I guess we will see hardware reveal next month, which was the case with the older PS4. I have seen Norwegian retailers list the PS5 for a price of 9999 NOK (~$1130) althought it's most likely a placeholder, until Sony comfirms prices.

Art Blade

PZ

I'm looking forward to seeing what this unit will be able to do. In addition to playing games on my PS4, I currently use it to display my photos, videos,and music from my network drives onto the TV in the living room. It is also efficient as a way to access streaming services.

LowPolyOWG

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

I figured as much, $450 cost to manufacture is going to bring it very close to the price point most people are willing to pay for a console, which I think is the $500 range. Once it starts getting much above that, I think a lot of people will think twice or three times about it. They would need a huge exclusive game to promote along with it to get past that cost. If they sell it for $499 they'd be just squeaking into profit range though not much (you have to take into account the cost of the system to build, then packaging, shipping, distribution, advertising, etc).
D_B

Art Blade

all of that.. sounds like a roadmap for disaster. Either a sales flop or consoles not living up to it or going to break quickly..

LowPolyOWG

Some articles suggest Sony is waiting for MS to release their prices first. Based on their specs, I think $499, $549 or $599 are the likely price point. Also, due to the corona outbreak, factories in China are temporarily shutdown, which means reduced production of necessary parts.

Sony/MS are charging for online services on consoles and they are also selling that gamepass subscription (access to 100+ games for $10-15 monthly), so they can make some money from that.

Art Blade

OK.. in the end, it's not my problem how they make their money, haha :anigrin: It's as always with upcoming stuff and announcements.. "wait and see."

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah if either one goes to $599 I would be very surprised, that's getting into the "too much for a console" range I would think. If MS can keep their price point down and get Xbox to $499, Sony will be in a tough bind I think. They will have to match that or under price it and then they are getting into a loss situation that might not be something that can be recovered in subscription services, I have no idea what kind of profit they make on that.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Playstation 5 specs are out

At the time of posting, Sony is also streaming an in-depth presentation about their hardware technology.

Tags:
🡱 🡳