Far Cry 5 First Impressions. (Spoiler: I finished the game already)

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 28, 2018, 06:45:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Actually, after you complete the game once, you open two more difficulty modes, one is harder, the other easier, and I think is actually called action hero. You have the extra inventory slot for another weapon, and the ability to call air strikes at any time, no matter if there is anti-aircraft present. I'm not sure if the enemies are any different in the various game modes, they didn't seem to be any different but I wasn't taking note too much. So I think the only difference is the inventory slots and air strikes.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nex

Ok now I'm completely confused  ???
I thought FC5 is about fighting a cult, watching D_B's clips
looks more like the US/Vietnamese war....
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

If you read the word "DLC" somewhere, that might explain the Vietnam thingy ;)

Yes, this game is still about fighting the cult.

FC5 for cheap here :gnehe:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah my last few posts were about the Viet Nam DLC, "Hours of Darkness". It was a fun, 5 hour-ish run, without much replay value.
D_B

nex

Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Speaking of the DLC, I was back in it last night trying to get one of the achievements, and had one of those "Dang, I wish I was recording that" moments. The achievement is to kill a certain number of enemies with air strikes, so I was spamming them a lot more than I normally would. As I approached a zip line across a river, I heard a patrol coming up behind me. I quick took out the binocs and called an airstrike right there and took off on the zip line. The patrol came up just in time for the strike to hit and I got a kill or two out of it. Thinking it was done, I landed on the other side of the river and took out another patrol with the AK and heard screaming behind me. One of the guys from the patrol I hit with the air strike had followed me across the river, using the zip line, only he was on fire and screaming as he slid down the wire. I shot him before he landed, but that was about the funniest thing I've seen in a game in a really long time, and was so mad I wasn't streaming it to have the video evidence. Ah well.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

:laughsm:

Kind of like the burning NPCs in GTA V. Sometimes, they get up, but fall down and do their burn-to-death animation again  :evil2:

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I played through the DLC again last night after getting the achievement for bombing and thought I was streaming, but I guess I wasn't, so no video. I didn't have any really cool action like the previous night, but did have some interesting action here and there. Oh, and failed miserably at an assassination attempt, that was kinda funny. I had planned to snipe the target from across the valley, but in taking out some enemies close by me first, missed a shot and alerted the whole camp. The target began running away with me plinking at him and missing a lot, but also getting hits on the run until I cornered him at the river and gunned him down. If you've ever seen the movie "Gross Pointe Blank" and recall the well planned mission to poison a target that went bad and he had to shoot him instead, after running down the stairs, it was kinda like that. But I made up for it on the next one where I snuck into a guard tower at a camp and at this point didn't care about being quiet, started shooting. The target got in a truck and drove down the road to escape, but the road went right past the tower I was in, so I dropped a proximity explosive over the side into the road and he obligingly drove right into it. Redeemed.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

If you want to see some arcade maps, I did a few last night to complete a weekly challenge. The challenge was to complete three bounty hunt maps where you have to kill a certain number of specific targets. Some of these are pretty fun, depending on how well made the map is. The first one was a parkour map in a post-apocalyptic city. Pretty fun, though I had a few death drops. If you want to see the successful run, here's the time link

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276424558?t=08m16s

I had played this one before, so I knew generally where to go, the first run I did had a lot more deaths.

The one after that was also one I had done before and was pretty decent. But the first attempt to cross to the island resulted in me getting trapped under the terrain and having to restart. Good times.

After that map, the game crashed loading the next map so the next one is on the next stream save

Also had to restart that after getting lost outside the map boundary, complete run starts at this time code

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276435394?t=04m53s

Cool grenade kill at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276435394?t=11m57s

I played a bit more after that, getting the other challenge to use the .50 cal on a certain number of enemies, but didn't stream that as it's not so much fun to watch me trying to snipe a bunch of people.

The arcade mode is OK and can be fun if you find some decent maps to play on. Of course, they are not always perfect, as you can see by me getting outside the world a couple times, but it's enjoyable mostly. It's the maps that aren't featured that can be real dogs. The featured ones have already been approved by someone, I guess, and are usually pretty well done, nicely thought out and decorated. Not that map with no decoration can't be fun, depends on what it's trying to do.

I noticed these are a bit pixelated and stuttery, so I've changed my stream settings to 60fps and a higher bitrate, see how that works out next time.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Uhh, streaming usually requires a good CPU/high upload speed on your network. Pixelation usually occurs when one, or both of these bottlenecks your stream. Better get yourself that sweet AMD R7 2700 CPU. Oh, btw, the Ryzen R7 1700 is retailing for like 200$ from some retailers, if you're lucky. :) A new motherboard is required though along with DDR4 RAM.

Dweller_Benthos

I had the bitrate set pretty low, so I figured that was the issue, it was compressing the video before sending it. I'm using Shadowplay so that exports directly from the GPU, or so I understand how it's working, which is very little. Understanding that is.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Ah. Nvidia got their own video encoding built directly into the GPU.

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I didn't do anything interesting enough to try it again last night to see if there was a difference.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳