Strong Stomach?

Started by BinnZ, March 02, 2018, 09:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I'm all in there, fragger, regarding Alien. I anticipated it when the posters were out in the streets announcing the film, man, did we want that movie to be premiered so we all could watch it. When it was out, I was among the first to watch it and boy, that was a milestone movie. I remember I actually jumped in my seat when that fricking cat popped up while you already knew the alien was on a killing spree. :anigrin: That was a good film, the horror was somehow the driving force of the film (I mean because of that we're calling it a horror movie) yet the actual horror was held back most of the time. It was more a mental thing in the audience, the suspense was caused by your imagination. No need for half an ocean worth of blood and gore, neither was cruelty towards fellow humans the main thing. The alien's victims didn't suffer in a way a torture scene would display it in current horror movies.

For me, there aren't many horror films worth watching. I got a select few, but no matter how you present horror, it will never be my top interest. That has always been science fiction, which is why I like Alien despite the horror aspect of it :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

This version of the intro of Saving Private Ryan gave me the laugh :laughsm:

I wonder why people bash out against violent video games, while we still produce movies using violence :banghead:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

film-making is considered an art form. Making video games, isn't.

LowPolyOWG

I can agree with you on that, there are some legislations that consider them "toys" etc
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

In my opinion, only stupid people believe video game violence leads to real life violence. If all it takes is exposure to violence in order to become violent oneself, then what you say is completely true - violent movies, toys, etc. should be banned. In other words, we would all need to be immersed in nothing but Mary Poppins or Shirley Temple.

How moronic can the general public be - I believe the depth of ignorant stupidity has no limits.  :banghead:

BinnZ

Violence is in our nature. It's one of the things we do to survive. Immorality is in our culture. As soon as someone chose something to be morally right, that implicated that other things were morally wrong.
And since we are all different, and can never fully agree on moral themes, immorality is a part of us. All of us. We can only embrace our cultural differences and accept that morality is a dynamic truth and never absolute.
Stating that some moral idea is absolute is in fact the true evil. It excludes people. Any attempt to exclude others is a contradiction of what you try to protect with said exclusion.
You can't just un-relate to people. Whether it's a wall, an open field or a pub that stands between you and others, there's always something.

So yeah, ignorant stupidity is pretty deep. It's as deep as someone's fears.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

PZ, true. There isn't much left these days, after having lived several decades, that still surprises me. Except the results of pure stupidity.

PZ

Well, I live my life believing in the "live and let live" way of life. As long as what I do does not negatively impact anyone else in the world, then it is okay in my book.

The main problem with people is that they want to enforce their personal opinions on others. I say/write many things on my mind that may inflame others, but I never hold against people their right to disagree with what I say. In real life, I have casual friends that are republicans, and neither I nor they hold against one another our political opinions. I think that is the right way to conduct life in a free democratic community.

In my book, the worst thing anyone can do is say nothing and let the lowest people in the world have the only platform from which to preach.

Art Blade

agree on live and let live. Same here. Tolerance is the word but not many people are capable of being tolerant. Courage is something else, only few can muster courage.

Tags:
🡱 🡳