Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

PCIE NVMe I can recommend. I have a 1Gb slice in my mobo and it was never better. I don't even use additional space, although I still have 2 SSD's of 120Gb for music storage and files. Always good to have some backup :)

The monitor you are looking for sounds like a marvel, and since I got that new monitor of mine, I can assure you you're going to enjoy every penny you invest in a good monitor triple the times as the pennies you spend on GPU's. A monitor is something you invest in for much longer after all, and to give an example; none of the GPU's I spent literally thousands of euros on in the past 10 years were able to create the contrast and colour depth my current monitor gives me. So make sure to check if an ISP screen is an option for your system as well. The response times are remarkable now, don't think that's the bottleneck any more ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Today I replaced my mouse with a new Corsair Ironclaw RGB (wire) which matches my Corsair RGB keyboard and I can use cloned RGB profiles so the mouse's LEDs are in sync with the keyboard's LED light show and that across multiple light show profiles. :anigrin:

My old Logitech mouse kept causing troubles and at first I didn't even know it was the mouse. It started with windows making sounds indicating disconnecting and connecting hardware. I then realised that the mouse would stop working for just a second or two. Sometimes both events occurred at the same time, sometimes only one of which so I never really made the connection until it dawned on me. I thought it was the USB socket so I plugged the mouse into a different port. The problem with random events is that they are random and that made it seem that changing the port had worked until it didn't. I then switched out the mouse, an older Logitech, and it worked without any random dropouts.

As much as I liked my keyboard, keeping the Logitech drivers (which were mainly meant to control the various functions of the keyboard but also the mouse functions) along with the new Corsair drivers which did the same thing for Corsair, I thought it a good idea to get rid of the Logitech drivers even though I lost a few customisation options for the Logitech mouse. Now that the mouse croaked, I bought a Corsair mouse because the keyboard drivers also control the mouse functions. Essentially I've got the same setup as before: Mouse, keyboard and drivers from one company, only this time a different company than before. Less prone to conflicts, and all new. And more fancy stuff. :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

"It worked until it didn't."

- Art Blade, 2020

:D
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

RTX 3080 on 8K monitor that costs $30,000

Time to start saving up, lol!
D_B

Art Blade

Erm.. that price.. I assume you added one zero too many after the comma ("30,0000") and not that you moved to comma one digit too far to the left: I reckon you meant $30,000 (rather than $300,000) :gnehe:

I mean, seriously.. gaming on a proper PC already costs a small fortune. Like maybe around $2,000 to $4,000. Of course there is almost no limit as to how much you can spend on exotic gear but damn, a $30k monitor is a tad over the top, don't you think?

Dweller_Benthos

Fixed it. No, it's not over the top, the top is long gone in the rearview mirror with that thing!
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Wow. Some brand-new cars are cheaper than that ???

LowPolyOWG

While working from home and with a basement renovation project, might be time getting a new desktop  :) Some parts are out of stock or unavailable, which explain the rather low price total. I also listed the components I can reuse from my laptop. The old desktop can probably be sold for a few bucks, I took out the GPUs. It's kinda lackluster for recent games, but can be used for a server or run not so demanding titles. The i7-4770K was good back in the last gen days, when devs had to optimize for 8 threads and move on from quad cores.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Doesn't support PCIE 4.0, will be slower, as it can only do PCIE 3.0 speeds. Main drive on my laptop)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Reused from laptop, used as secondary storage)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Amazon) (Fastest PCIE 4.0 at the market. Somewhat better than the Samsung 980 Pro)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($139.88 @ Other World Computing) (Can probably be cheaply bought from key sites)
Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard Keyboard I'm currently using
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse  Old mouse (cable sleeve damaged slightly, works properly)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Old mouse (bought a 2nd one)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse  (Current mouse)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger  Headset (Reused, good audio/ok voice quality for its price at $49-$59)
Custom: LaCie Rugged USB-C and USB 3.0 4TB Portable Hard Drive - STFR4000800 (Used for my laptop, X570 Taichi has one USB-C port available)
Total: $954.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-08 04:39 EST-0500
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

looks like you're getting a decent rig there, 3080 included, nice :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Is 760 W power supply enough for a 3080? For more headroom, I'm thinking of going with 1000W at least when I upgrade.

That total price does not include the 3080 though, does it? Sold out everywhere and the list price is at least $800 unless you want to buy from a scalper on Amazon, then double that.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Estimated wattage is 569W.

Some parts are out of stock or unavailable, which explain the rather low price total.

Yep, they don't account for out of stock items
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Pulled the trigger and put this on order:

Computer Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275R Black ATX
Case Fan: Three 120mm Ball Bearing Case Fans
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS (Wi-Fi) Intel Z590/ DDR4/ 2-Way CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ WiFi/ Bluetooth/ ATX
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K Comet Lake Processor 3.7GHz 8GT/s 20MB LGA 1200
CPU Cooling Fan: Dual 120mm Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: 16GB Hyper-X DDR4-2800/3000
M2 SSD: 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Solid State Drive
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X HDMI/3DisplayPort PCI-Express
Sound Card: High Definition Audio with High Quality Audio Capacitors (onboard)
Network Card: 100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
Keyboard: Logitech MK120 Keyboard and Mouse
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Yep, we'll see how long it takes to get here with those parts in the list, especially the 3080, the 10900K is I think fairly easy to get and the 1000w power supply might be a stumbling block as well. But I don't plan on using it for a couple months anyway, so if it takes that long then that's OK, if it gets here faster, that's OK too.

As for the price? Let's just say it didn't go over $5K, but once I get a good 27 inch monitor that will be close, lol.  :laughsm:

As for getting a Ryzen, I did kind of want to as that's the performance king right now, but there are literally none to be had in the 59xx series, the place I ordered from doesn't even list them as an option, even in their AMD builds, 39xx series only. Might as well be unicorn horns or fairy dust. Same might go for the 3080, we shall see. But like I said, I won't be using it for a month or more at least as I'm re-arranging the place and moving my computer desk from where it's been the last 25 years to a different room and that's going to be a weeks long project in itself. So I figured if I'm going to be taking this all apart, I might as well put the new system in once it's done and not have to do it all over again. Plus if there is a waiting list for these parts, which I think there probably is, I'll be on it sooner rather than later and maybe still get the system when it still summer out.

I decided on that motherboard because it's one of the few offered that has a PS/2 port for my ancient keyboard that I refuse to give up. I'm currently using it with a USB adapter and it works but only after windows boots, so if I want to do anything in the BIOS, I have to unplug a bunch of USB stuff in order for my keyboard to be recognized at boot time. So I want to do away with that hassle. So the place I ordered from had "gaming rigs" but none of them had an option for a motherboard like that, so I had to go with a regular rig and change the options to essentially be the same as the gaming rigs only with that motherboard choice.

I was also toying with the idea of getting 32GB of memory but that was another almost $200 so I dropped it back to the 16GB of the faster memory, and figured I've had 16GB in this machine and had no issues, so it should be fine. I rarely load anything that needs that much memory anyway.

So now the wait is starting and we'll see how long it takes.
D_B

PZ

Dayum, that's quite the rig D_B!  :thumbsup:

The parts list is impressive, and I only dreamed of hardware like that when I built my last gaming rig. I'll need to consult with you the next time I do a build as I am not nearly as up-to-date as I would like to be  :gnehe:

It looks like your rig should be relatively quiet - it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I'm assuming the SSD will be your sole storage device?

oh, one more thing - where are you sourcing your parts? The last place I used was Newegg, but that was a long time ago and I've not purchased anything serious in many years. I probably need o think about it though, because my gaming rig is showing it's years.

Tags:
🡱 🡳