Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Well I spent a good amount of time yesterday in the crawl space under the house dragging a CAT5 wire to connect the new comp in it's new room. That was unpleasant. But then anyplace with "crawl" in the name pretty much goes without saying. There was no battle with Shelob but there was an large amount of webs down there, along with shed snake skins and other things I didn't examine closely enough to identify in order to save my sanity. I copied over a few games after that but by the time I was done with everything didn't have much time or stamina left to try anything out beyond just verifying the files in Steam. Plus it's set up on a card table with an uncomfortable chair which isn't conducive to much gaming, so I'll just let it go for a while until I have something better setup.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

???

I too have a crawl space and know exactly what you mean. My place is built on a slight incline so the height of the space ranges from about 7 feet tall to only about 2 feet tall. If I needed to go into the far corner of the space I'd need to be on my belly. I shudder to even think I would need to go there.

Art Blade

over here we build houses differently. We dig a hole and start building from there which ends in a house with a cellar. And the wires.. we dig a trench and sink them in there and pave it over. No crawling spaces, no lose wires. :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

My place was built over time, so the "old" part has just a crawl space, as back then digging a cellar (by hand mind you) wasn't something that people did a lot. Many of the older places around here only have a crawl space and maybe a partial cellar. The newer part of the house has a cellar which was dug by machine in the early 70s, at least until they hit huge boulders and the upper limit of the water table, so going any deeper was out of the question. So I have to duck my head a bit when walking around in the cellar part.

As for wires, most places have overhead wires that attach to the roofline of the house and then run into the house lower down. Mine are underground from the pole, which is unusual here, but makes for a cleaner looking place without wires hanging off the side, but makes it a bit more difficult to put in new or repair old ones as I have to dig up the driveway to get at them.
D_B

PZ

My situation regarding power is much like yours D_B

Most of the homes are built with basements (depending on the terrain), but some folks do not like them so they are surface only. As to wires, I wish the power people here would bury the power lines because almost every time we have a wind storm we have a power outage.Power wires come to the edge of my house high in the air, then are buried from the feed to the house.

Looks kind of stupid to have the feed wires so exposed, but at least by burying the lines in the yard we do not have those ugly wires strung to the house high in the air.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah the wires hanging off the side of the house is a pretty common sight around here as it's the easiest and fastest thing to do when installing electric. Same goes for overhead power lines, easy to put up and easy to repair, but maybe more prone to problems because of the exposure. They did try burying the phone lines here once and it was a disaster, they were constantly digging them back up to fix something. So after about a year of that, they put them back on the poles and left miles of phone line buried along the roadways. Whenever someone puts in a driveway or digs a ditch, they hit the old phone lines that are no longer used. I have a length of it because it comes in handy sometimes when you need wire of that type, and it's free once someone digs a piece up.
D_B

PZ

They buried the phone lines here about 20 or so years ago, but it was a bit too late and a dollar short so to speak. We were on the verge of widespread cell phone usage, so today those buried lines are hardly used.

Sue would like to see power buried though, so the yearly outages and potential fridge food loss mitigated. Seems like they always choose the wrong path here. They could have buried the power left phone lines on poles and we'd be ahead. Instead, we have buried phone that is not used, and power in the air.  :banghead:

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Ordered an AsRock X570 Taichi motherboard and a 850W Seasonic PSU on Tuesday  :bigsmile: :anigrin:  Due to the supply issues, I am better off ordering stuff as they come available, rather than wait for weeks
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah if you are putting together a system to build, getting stuff as it becomes available is the way to go. Might take longer, but you will get what you want that way. Might take a while the way things are going, though.
D_B

Art Blade

by the time you get the last component, the first will be outdated.

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

My friend has been "building" a computer now for four or five years? I forget exactly what the holdup is, I know it's a super high end system for some specific application or something. Dual processors, some egregious amount of memory like half a gigabyte, room for two dozen hard drives, etc. I don't think the current shortage in chips is what's holding him up now, I think it's just the momentum of getting it built. I think he said he's currently using the empty case as a worktable in the kitchen, yes, it's that big.

But yeah, eventually you have to decide when waiting longer for a part will make it obsolete by the time you get it.
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 17, 2021, 07:57:31 AM
My friend has been "building" a computer now for four or five years? I forget exactly what the holdup is, I know it's a super high end system for some specific application or something. Dual processors, some egregious amount of memory like half a gigabyte, room for two dozen hard drives, etc...

??? Now that is serious hardware!

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah he is a serious computer nerd, software developer, photographer, so I think he has a particular task in mind for it. Which requires the enormous amount of memory and storage space. The processors (yes two) have to be exactly matched in all specifications, I think he has those, some type of server Xeons I think. A huge amount of cores in each for multi-threaded tasking. I'll have to ask him exactly what he plans to do with it and when if ever he's going to finish it.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳