Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Thanks for the slap on the back Art.  8)

I probably shouldn't have commented on your typo Art.  I know that when I get deep into editing and reediting one of my sizeable posts it's easy to lose track of the several grammatical qualities like Tense, Prepositional, Speaking Voice (1st, 2nd, 3rd person observer) and other imbalances that can turn a well thought out sentence into incoherent gibberish.  If I'm writing in Stream of Consciousness mode it can even get worse.  :-[

The image of you mowing through games was too irresistible to ignore.  :bigsmile:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

LowPolyOWG

I think he's mowing through KCD currently :anigrin: :laughsm:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

G, hehe, kind of :)

mandru, it's all good. I think it's particularly funny if you catch someone either with a horrible mistake (see bowels vs bowls) or someone who doesn't make many mistakes (at least I hope I don't) and the best of course is if both applies. :)

Don't you worry about your spelling mistakes, mandru, usually they don't change the meaning of your text and the meaning can still be figured out if there are any mistakes. I too keep tidying up my own mess after I posted. For some reason, "preview" isn't the same as publish. I just don't notice my mistakes in preview mode. But I do once the post is live. :anigrin:

PZ

BinnZ

Well I finally made up my mind on a major upgrade of my rig.

I've decided to go for the newest Coffee Lake based system with a decent MSI mobo, the MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON.
As CPU I picked the Intel Core i7-9700K. 8 cores, no hyper threading. So the raw 8 cores at w0#k. The 9900K, with hyper threading and thus 16 cores, was a bit too expensive for my taste and had only marginal performance boosts compared to its tinier brother. I hope the whizkids here can agree with me :anigrin:
For cooling I picked the latest Scythe flagship, the Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH edition. I've never really been a fan of water cooling, and I love the looks of such a massive heat pipe construction in my case. The cooling power of this thing is, as usual, simply remarkable.
I chose for the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 memory; two 8Gb banks.
And to make it complete I chose the Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, which is a PCIe connected SSD. 1 freaking Tb of blistering SSD memory, man that's going to make things go smooth, and easy too. No more fooling around with multiple disc and raid arrays to store my games on, or my music and pictures. I still have 2 120Gb SSD's for backing up photo- and music materials and apart from that all the old HDD drives will be ditched aside I guess :bigsmile:
The shop will do the CPU assembly. I never do that myself, too afraid I'm going to break something with all these tiny pins. If I'm lucky I can pick up the parts this weekend and can start building.

The only thing I still have on my wishlist is a new monitor. But I'm not yet sure whether I want to go for one with a higher res than 1080p. We'll have to see how things develop price-wise I guess. I'd like to have one with G-sync, since a smooth image is my biggest wish.
I'll post an updated list of my system once I got the *bleep* together.

On a side note: I've been looking for a new case as well. I was quite sharmed by a case with a very nice design, the Fractal Design Meshify C. Until I found out it doesn't provaide a slot for a DVD drive. WTF! Many cases don't provide that anymore, to make place for better airstream design as it seems. I was kinda surprised by that. I mean, how to download Windows on a system without an operating system? I must have missed some recent developments I'm afraid :anigrin:
Anyway, I figured I could still use my old case, which is rock solid and provides for all I could wish for. The only reason to replace it would be to have a better looking case. However, that's not really important. The thing is situated below my desk anyway.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

wowzers, what a rig that's going to be, nice :thumbsup:
I hope assembling goes as smoothly as possible  O0

LowPolyOWG

Nice! You could have gone for Ryzen,  if you wanted more value. R7 2700X is basically twice the thread count for a cheaper price. Too bad games prefer singlethread performance over multithreaded and are generally better optimized for Intel. At 1080p, you are looking at higher frames for Intel (10-20 fps on avg) while it's near equal at GPU bound resolutions (1440p/4K). Your CPU will be great, but the lack of hyperthreading makes me feel it's a rip-off as the competition offers similar CPUs at a lower price with HT. For raw gaming, it's great. The CPU also have like 200W of TDP. Gotta cool it well, but you can use that as a new space heater in your house :laughsm:

Most PCs nowadays use USB sticks to install Windows. I got my Win 10 delivered on an USB stick and I formatted an extra one, in case I needed to reinstall.

Next week, AMD will reveal the first consumer grade 7nm CPUs. Intel is still stuck at 14 nm++ and will be considered a joke of a process leader, IF AMD is successful with their launch.
Next gen consoles will use a 8c/16t CPUs and AMD tech. Expect more threadheavy games after 2020 or so.

PZ

Very nice, BinnZ  :thumbsup:

Hope the build goes well!

BinnZ

You convinced me G, I changed my order to get the i9 9900k instead, with hyper threading. Something like 130 bucks more, but it feels a lot better. I was a bit in doubt sticking to 'just' 8 cores with recent developments in mind. However, I will stick to intel anyway.
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

He he, well, it's the best you can get from Intel. Still expensive compared to AMD, but do what you want  :) i7-8700K is a hexacore with hyperthreading (12 threads), but the i9 probably beats it. Make sure you cool the i9-9900K well, reviewers had to watercool it to get acceptable overclock temperatures.

Keep the package for some decorative fun? :gnehe:

Art Blade

I'd be willing to bet that Binn isn't interested in overclocking and regarding his dislikes for water cooling, he'll be just fine ;)

BinnZ

About over locking; nothing that exceeds the usual. I think that Mugen will do fine. Its predecessor got my i7 2600k from stock 3.4 to a steady 4.2 without the least bit of sweat 😜
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

I'm glad I didn't actually bet anything.

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on January 03, 2019, 02:38:17 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Binn isn't interested in overclocking and regarding his dislikes for water cooling, he'll be just fine ;)

Yeah, he definitely will :bigsmile:

BinnZ

Well, I'm not an overclocking enthusiast, that trick with my 2600K was done by my mobo, with one press of a button. MSI feature 😊
I hope they have it on this new mobo too.
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳