Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I should have just spent the money when I ordered my new computer to get the 32 GB of ram upgrade, I forget how much they wanted, but it was s good amount. I dug around on the Kingston site trying to find the memory chip I currently have to match and it took a while (It's HyperX which was transferred to Kingston during some corporate shenanigans) because there are so many different kinds of memory with all sorts of options. Anyway, figured out the one I needed and Kingston had it direct for about $98 and newegg wanted something like $110 for it. So you gotta figure Kingston probably isn't undercutting the other retailers but the other retailers are just jacking up prices probably because they can even if what they are selling isn't currently effected by the chip shortage.

It's the old marketing scheme, where if you bought a bunch of stock of something six months ago for a certain price, and then the price goes up for any reason, you can jack up your prices just because and make that much extra profit.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

It's the same case with the GPU market. About 700 000 were shipped to miners last year and Nvidia's AIBs and stores increased prices twice above the MSRP. Also, Ethereum might crash on the 25th, when contracts for $1.5 billion expire. The market will be flooded with mining GPUs for sure.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 21, 2021, 07:57:16 AM
... So you gotta figure Kingston probably isn't undercutting the other retailers but the other retailers are just jacking up prices probably because they can even if what they are selling isn't currently effected by the chip shortage.

It's the old marketing scheme, where if you bought a bunch of stock of something six months ago for a certain price, and then the price goes up for any reason, you can jack up your prices just because and make that much extra profit.

This is definitely what happens in all areas of the economy. One of the best examples is what I have experienced all my life - the oil industry. If anyone just breathes a hint of an excuse of an oil shortage fuel prices are tremendously jacked up and the excuse has always been that the high prices are needed to prevent a fuel shortage. The prices always stay high for extended periods even if the original "problem" is resolved. In short - use any excuse to raise prices, then take a loooong time to see those prices fall back to normal.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah gas prices are never going back down no matter what. I remember when the price went above a dollar a gallon and that seemed extreme. Pipe dream nowadays.

As for memory and computer parts, the fact that I got the chip from the manufacturer at a lower price than the reseller was strange, that almost never happens. So obviously the manufacturer isn't selling at a loss, probably a decent profit, so the fact that the reseller is charging even more indicates that they are jacking the price up even more. Probably easier for them to change prices fast than it is for the manufacturer.
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Great, gotta wait until October/November for this...  :banghead: Gonna be a loooong wait

Saw Lian Li's stream earlier today and they changed the case a little due to fan feedback  :)

Part 2 of the stream, detailing the new cases.

PZ

Hardware sure changes quickly. One could go broke keeping up with all the newest stuff  :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

I also noticed today the price dropped by €80-110 at some retailers :banghead: Should have waited I guess... Since I'm not getting my build ready until October, this leave me with two options: A) Return the kit and reorder at lower price or B) Keep them. The package is on its way for store pickup (Most likely, arrive tomorrow or Monday)

Dweller_Benthos

I hate when that happens. I'm just waiting for the stuff I bought to be half price next week so I can kick myself.
D_B

PZ

Here retailers sometimes price match if the price changes so drastically within a short time. They know people will just return the merchandise and purchase it again at the lower price (usually somewhere else) therefore it is worth it to just match the price else lose the sale entirely.

Might be worth asking

LowPolyOWG

Reading on their FAQ, returning the goods and reorder it for the lower price is the only way, once it has been delivered. I have two weeks to RMA for refund after delivery :)

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

LowPolyOWG

So, I ended up RMA-ing the RAM after some conversation with the reseller. Let's hope the return shipping go fine, I don't think shipping to Oslo should be a problem. At the moment, Proshop has the same kit for €610. I am not getting my build ready until October-early November due to the Lian Li case releasing in that time frame, so no hurry to buy it again. My new desk arrived yesterday. Require some assembly.

The case allows for a discoteque build, so will get 7 of these (3 at the bottom, 3 at the radiator wall mount, 1 for the exhaust)  :anigrin: I like the daisy chain design, as you don't have to run a dozen of cables everywhere to control their speed/lighting  :anigrin:

Art Blade

now you need to practice some stunning disco (dance) moves in perfect synchrony with that rig's light show :gnehe:

PZ

:anigrin:

That's quite the snazzy rig  O0

Tags:
🡱 🡳