Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Good tips OWGKID, +1 for that :)  I didn't even know Game Bar and DVR existed. I turned it all off.

LowPolyOWG

O0

MS did fix issues with it with later Windows 10 versions, but still worth disabling nonetheless. You got D3DGear anyway, so no need for Win 10's solution. 1803 update from April last year was a hot mess, it froze your system constantly and even Microsoft's own apps suffered :banghead: I hope the 190x update will boost my laptop's performance, the Meltdown/Spectre patches have bottlenecked the CPU in some areas.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

nex

With all this power cuts we've been experiencing my main pc's Monitor packed up on Sunday  :banghead:
Been looking around all morning and finally decided on a DELL SE2419H
OverviewTech Specs
Display
Diagonal Viewing Size  60.47 cm (23.81 inches)
Brightness                  250 cd/m² (typ)
Contrast Ratio            1000:1 (typical)   
Aspect Ratio               16:9
Maximum Preset Resolution  1920 x 1080 at 60Hz
Color Gamut              72% NTSC (CIE 1931)
Color Depth               16.7 million
HDCP 1.4 (HDMI)
3-sided narrow bezels
Arsenic-free glass and mercury-free panel
Display Screen Coating
Low haze with 3H hardness
Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

Nice, sounds basic and just what you need. I wonder if I have a mercury- and arcenic free monitor :huh-new:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

stupid circumstances but nice outcome, nex :) Now we're going to see 16:9 vids from you O0

nex

Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

Completely off topic, but interesting for those eating canned tuna. Consumer Labs did an assay of the arsenic and mercury in various brands of canned tuna and discovered levels high enough to issue a warning that it not be eaten more than once or twice a week.

Art Blade

That and your story (long ago..) about the "pink slime" (stuff they get off garbage bones from the slaughter house by using chemicals and then legally add that pink slime to burger patties) is something that couldn't happen here. We may have accidents that may lead to calling back some products but not by design. Bad as it may be in many cases, it's sometimes good that we've got the most laws in the world here and the laws related to food are particularly strict. Cheating usually doesn't w0#k, at least not for long, because of equally strict (and frequent) food controls.

However. Tuna in contaminated cans.. that's probably a matter of relation. The relation between how many pounds of tuna compared to how few ounces of tin. If you open a small can, the toxicity will be relatively high but if you open an industrial grade tuna container, it should be relatively safe unless you eat canned tuna like other people breathe air. :gnehe:

PZ

They are claiming that the fish are contaminated while living the water, which is contaminated by run-off from industrial and hi density human activity. Consumer Labs is usually fairly good at taking things like the containers out of the equation.

Art Blade

wow, that's even more shocking: they can toxic fish and even preserve its toxicity ??? Horrible! I believe you when you say that Consumer Labs is good but hey, that fish should have been checked by the food industry before canning it. Actually, fishing tuna in that industrial waste should never have been allowed. Stopping pollution there is imperative, but that will cost the industry and everyone else involved and responsible.. so it won't happen as long as.. well, let's not talk politics. They can still prohibit fishing there at all until it's clean. I mean, seriously, providing contaminated food as long as possible just until Consumer Labs finds out? What now, that they found out? There ought to be consequences, really. :angry-new:

PZ

There should be, and the NIH has admitted it is a problem, but other than warning people not to eat too much canned tuna, nothing has been done, at least so far.  I don't know why, but I suspect that there is a "tolerable" level of these toxins that does not immediately poison you unless you eat too much.

Interestingly our son was developing neurological problems that no one could diagnose. We knew he liked to eat fish so we asked him specifically about the Costco canned tuna, which was one of the brands tested. He said he ate it 3-4 times per week so we told him to lay off the fish for a while to see what happens. He slowly got better, and is now fine.

Art Blade

whoooooaaa.... ??? ??? ??? + ???

that is absolutely horrible. I'm glad you told your son and that he got well again. Hard to believe it's a 21st century story.

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty much all fish, at least any of the food fish you get in stores, is contaminated by mercury at least, along with other chemicals. Depending on where the fish was caught, the levels could be higher or lower, also depending on the age of the fish. The older the fish, the longer it has to build up the toxins as it eats other fish who have eaten other fish who have eaten plants or plankton or whatever else that has been stewing in the by products of our civilization. Some farm raised fish might have lower levels, but I don't think anyone farms tuna.

Mercury poisoning is cumulative, so a little now and then isn't bad, since it does get flushed from the body, but even small amounts on a consistent basis over time can add up. It takes a while to get rid of it, so going off any possible sources of it is the best bet. I eat fish about once a week, usually haddock, not sure how much mercury is in that, but keeping it once a week is probably safe. Probably.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

BinnZ

I'm glad I never eat fish :gnehe:

It sounds like bloody Fallout nowadays :(
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

well, it's not that bad :gnehe:

I don't eat much fish. Once in a while, meaning can be weeks. But canned tuna is always in my kitchen ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳