Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

No, that's why I decided even before buying it to stick with 1080. 4K will likely cut any game's FPS down to 1/3 of what you can get at 1080.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah and is it really that much better? I mean, probably, for something real world like a nature documentary that was shot in 4k so you can really see the detail, but a game that's based on 3D models that are only so detailed, textured with graphics that have only so much resolution, it seems a waste. Even with high resolution texture packs that some games have, I don't think they are high enough to really show what 4k can do.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

BinnZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 07, 2019, 11:38:29 AM
Yeah and is it really that much better? I mean, probably, for something real world like a nature documentary that was shot in 4k so you can really see the detail, but a game that's based on 3D models that are only so detailed, textured with graphics that have only so much resolution, it seems a waste. Even with high resolution texture packs that some games have, I don't think they are high enough to really show what 4k can do.

That is indeed a good point O0

I will stick to 1080 too. Am considering getting a new monitor though, since mine is showing weird artifacts, and that new one might have a higher resolution, but I won't use it. I like those screens that are slightly bent, with G-sync, which I think really is a big improvement in gaming.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

I finally managed to get something out of my GPU after struggling with some settings first. Here is the monster in action. :)

PZ

Cool video AB  :thumbsup:

Makes me want to play RDR2 again

fragger

Good to hear that the new rig is rip-roaring, Art :) But geez, what do you need to max out RDR2 - a Cray? :gnehe:

Art Blade

I have no idea :anigrin: If you look closely at my settings, you'll notice that some are set to "off" like MSAA and stuff like that. It would melt or grind to a halt any system that isn't built for specs records. Kind of crazy, really. I mean, I've got a vid card that cost enough money some people would buy a used car with instead and still it's not capable of truly running everything maxed out. :banghead:

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on December 03, 2019, 05:53:55 PM
* CPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080TI-O11G (11GB VRAM)

Didn't knew Nvidia sould CPUs with 11GB VRAM :D :anigrin:

Regarding MSAA: It was a popular method when games were using "forward" rendering compared to modern "deferred" rendering. The difference is basically how many light sources you can render simultaneously, in the same scene, without a massive performance hit. Modern games therefore prefers post-processing anti-aliasing (SMAA/TAA), which can achieve the same results as MSAA with a less performance impact.

Digital Foundry talking about MSAA and SSAA
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

Quote from: LowPoly OWG on March 08, 2020, 09:16:01 AMDidn't knew Nvidia sould CPUs with 11GB VRAM :D :anigrin:

:anigrin: fixed :)

and thanks for the rendering info :thumbsup:

LowPolyOWG

Dubai RAM solutions anyone? :laughsm: :anigrin:

Spoiler
Gold/Silver RAM with crystal RGB lighting. Most likey painted with chrome gold paint/plastic crystals.

Dweller_Benthos

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Now, you need a new GPU that supports HDR :anigrin:

Art Blade