Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinnZ

Quote from: LowPoly OWG on August 04, 2020, 11:53:31 AM
Now, you need a new GPU that supports HDR :anigrin:

You think it's gonna be a problem with my 1080?

I mean, I don't need HDR, do I?
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Well, it improves the color range, but not many games do it right
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

I got a new keyboard. Same as LoPo, only "Mk 2" (Corsair Strafe RGB Mk2)

And something tells me it's the next one for Dweller:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

BinnZ

I love Corsair stuff  :thumbsup:
Got both my mouse and headset from them
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

For me, it's Logitech for mouse (G502 HERO), Corsair Strafe keyboard and a Kingston HyperX headset. Since I am starting my apprenticeship next week, time to save up for a new rig.  :anigrin:

I haven't done any advanced configuration as AB with mine. Not even sure if its supported by my Strafe from 2016. Speaking of keyboards, I recall someone told me a story about a friend buying a keyboard from the U.S. Sure, it was nice, except for the layout being different and missing the letters Æ Ø and Å. Making it useless for everyday use. In other words, don't buy keyboards from foreign countries unless you want to relearn key combinations.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, no one makes a keyboard that I like anymore, at least that I've seen anywhere. The one Art posted, the return key is the wrong shape, it's upside down. The backspace key is too big, and I don't even see bracket, underscore or backslash keys. The keyboard I use is now probably 20 years old or more, because I've never found a replacement that has the correct combination of key shape and placement. I hate using my laptop because the keyboard isn't the same as my desktop one. A lot of the time I'm trying to use it, I just stop and do whatever I was trying to do later on the desktop because the keyboard is too much of a pain to use.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I probably need to update my rig as well. It has been a long time since I have done so, and it is a bit slow to play the newer games these days.  :undecided-new:

Art Blade

if only you had better internet.. nVidia offers a service that lets you run for example your steam games from nVIdia's game servers. All you need is some low-end device and they'll deliver the CPU and GPU power. Like, play your games on someone else's massive rig remotely.

fragger

I bought a new keyboard about eight months ago, a Logitech one. I wanted a backlit one, but there were certain criteria I wanted met:

Fully mechanical keys (not hybrids)
Genuine Cherry MX switches ("Red")
Small footprint
Aluminium (or aluminum, lol) frame
Numeric keypad (which I make a lot of use of in my 3D w0#k)
Basic media controls - at the very least, a volume control
Corded - I don't like cordless, don't want to have to keep recharging/replacing batteries
Reputable brand
Not prohibitively expensive.

But most importantly, I wanted one where only the characters illuminate, not the space around the characters as well. I'm not interested in colourful light-shows and ripply special effects. I also wanted the secondary and punctuation characters to illuminate, not just the primaries.

In the end, I could only find one that ticked all the boxes, a Logitech G610 Orion Red (which I think is now discontinued).

No colour selection - white and that's it, but with 5 brightness settings. I don't care about colour choices, I just wanted to be able to see it in low light :gnehe: You can designate groups of often-used keys to be illuminated by themselves, but only with software that you have to download, and I didn't want to do that anyway. It also has 5 or 6 built-in effects, which I never use. Personally, I would rather they ditched the effects and included basic colour options instead, but it is what it is and I'm happy.

It's nothing flashy, but it wasn't terribly costly and it has the most important thing I was looking for, which was character illumination only, with minimal light around the keys. I looked at many backlit keyboards, but they all had at least one aspect that I didn't like - footprint too big, cordless, no numeric pad, too much light around the keys, non-genuine Cherry MX switches (or if they were they were the wrong "colour" type), or too pricey. This one was perfect and I'm very happy with it :thumbsup:

BinnZ

Nice, it's almost equal to mine. Mine doesn't have these customization options, and only 2 light intensities, all blue. I am happy with the blue. And I have a bunch of "G" keys, that you can use for macros. It just never works. Probably due to my lack of effort into it, but I don't give a sh* :anigrin:

Mine is the Logitech G105:

Wired (corded), of course 8)

I'm using it a while now, and there are at least a couple toasts with cheese hidden somewhere in it, but it still does the job. The only problem is that the space key makes a tweeting sound :anigrin:

Note to self; should check whether there's a mouse hidden below somewhere
"No hay luz"

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 07, 2020, 11:34:10 AM
if only you had better internet.. nVidia offers a service that lets you run for example your steam games from nVIdia's game servers. All you need is some low-end device and they'll deliver the CPU and GPU power. Like, play your games on someone else's massive rig remotely.

So true!  I just purchased Sniper Elite 4 and started installing it on the PS4. It needed an 8 gb download, which I started 3 hours ago and is only half done.  :banghead:

I'm still uswing my old Logitech G15 wired keyboard and mouse, and they w0#k great even after all these years.  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

lol guys :anigrin:

Yeah, my good old Logitech G19 with a built-in OLED display has been discontinued, and I am VERY sad about that. I needed a good gaming keyboard, mostly those lit keys was what I was after, and went to the shop, and when they asked, I said: "budget is not a problem." So they gave me my new Corsair. :gnehe:

PZ

Nice!  :thumbsup:

I'm surprised that my old keyboard has red back-lit keys.

LowPolyOWG

Speaking of new hardware, I am planning to build a new desktop. Seeing how I started working full-time as a computer technician, time to save up. What I see for me is going the ultrawide route (3440×1440, 100+ Hz refresh, maybe HDR and G-Sync/Freesync). Yes, Nvidia finally gave in and announced support for AMD's Freesync. Silly Nvidia called Freesync monitors "G-Sync compatible" so I don't have to necessarily pay for that G-Sync premium fee.  :anigrin:

On the CPU side, AMD Zen 3 and some of G.Skill's Trident Z Royal RAM. Storage, PCIE NVMe SSDs for Windows 10, with additional SATA SSDs or HDDs. Might be worth scavenging some of my old desktop's HDDs and reuse them. The old rig can be turned into a server of some sorts. Maybe make it run Linux.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳