Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Art Blade on June 07, 2021, 01:11:02 PM
what do you mean, some new monitors? Get a reasonably big one. :bigsmile:

One for the PC and another for the Xbox. Been looking at an LG 34GN850-B and a Dell S2721DGFA.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

In my new computer set up which is finally taking shape, the new monitor is a 27" 1440p that barely fits on the desk (I had to do some desk surgery to get it to fit, cut off some bits) and a 32" TV mounted on the wall above the desk to be used as a second monitor for chat windows, stuff like that, which is also hooked up to cable for when I want a TV show on for some reason while working at the computer.

The TV is the one that was in the bedroom, where the smaller TV from the living room will go when I finally replace that with a .... um .... larger model, LOL. I'm thinking 65" at least, but the choices are so overwhelming and I really don't know what's better, OLED, LCD, etc and that takes a lot of research that I find boring. Trusting the blue shirt at Best Buy isn't something I'd like to do either.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

while OLED looks really cool IF you get proper images for it (recorded in 4k, let's not even begin with 8k) there's still the problem that for now it lasts significantly less long and is significantly more expensive. Also, you can't get bigger OLEDs than 65" (maybe something weird like 68") while LCDs are easily available as 75" and 80" (and bigger) So you're still better off with LCD. I got a decent 75" LCD TV and a 32" monitor for my main PC. And a 27" monitor for my 2nd PC. That's perhaps a bit tight on my desk with two rather big monitors but it works  :gnehe:

PZ

Never trust a guy wearing a blue shirt and name tag  :gnehe:

I currently have a 55 inch television mounted above the fireplace which is old enough not to update any longer. In looking at an upgrade, I'm seeing units that are 30 inches larger yet weigh less. Technology certainly advances at a rapid pace.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah it's something considering the last tube TV I bought just before flat screens became a viable option cost over $500 and weighed half a ton. It was I think 27 or 30" and was enormous. The 32" flat screen I have above the desk cost something like $200 or $250 and I could carry with one hand. Not to mention lift it above my head to attach to the wall mount.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 09, 2021, 07:44:54 AM
... the last tube TV I bought just before flat screens became a viable option cost over $500 and weighed half a ton. It was I think 27 or 30" and was enormous...

Indeed - we all had one of those  :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

:laughsm:

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/362/1623033661/F4-3600C14Q-32GTEGATrident-Z-Royal-EliteDDR4-3600MHz-CL14-14-14-34-1.45V32GB-(4x8GB)

Gonna grab a kit, once available  :gnehe:  CL14, 3600 MHz and a bling bling design 8)

The case I am looking into buying. Yes, it will be quite the disco show :-X

With these installed  :anigrin:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Looks like the manufacturers are increasingly looking to improve the appearance of PC builds. I've never seen anything like that case (my last build was many years ago), and I definitely never dreamed memory would like what is in the link.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on June 09, 2021, 12:04:50 PMI definitely never dreamed memory would like what is in the link.

How do you know that they do like it?

PZ

lol, I forgot to add the word "look" in front of the word "like"  ;D

Art Blade

I know.. yet still, I couldn't resist. :anigrin:

PZ

:gnehe:

I probably need more than just glasses  O0

Art Blade

what do you mean, bottles? ???

PZ

:laughsm: :thumbsup: