current (05+06/2018) Kilauea/Hawaii and volcán de fuego/Guatemala

Started by Art Blade, May 23, 2018, 12:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

interesting aerial shots of the actual volcano activity in Hawaii.

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

PZ

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Flowing lava always fascinated me. Very cool to watch videos like this, but if it was heading towards my house, I probably wouldn't be so enthusiastic.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I'd be gone - especially because of the toxic gases also released when lava flows.

Art Blade

not to mention the hundreds of earthquakes per day and the potential of the whole island to pop open a new fissure under your house.

PZ

Art Blade

Art Blade

That live stream is down (is the house burnt down?)

here's relatively new pics

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Volcanoes have always fascinated me, but I wouldn't want to be living on that island right now.

Some would call this a "natural disaster", but it's only a disaster for humans and the things they build. For the planet, it's a necessary part of its life cycle. Even though these eruptions are scary for the people living there, it's the exact same process that created those islands in the first place. Nature is just doing what she does. It's up to us humans to try to stay out of her way.

Kilauea has been active for over thirty years. It has never once been completely dormant in all that time. As far as I know, this is the first time (in "white" memory) that it has flared up to this extent. Since it has always been an active volcano, in fact the most active of the five volcanoes on that island, we shouldn't be too shocked or surprised when it erupts. Maybe it's easy for me to say, but if you don't want your house buried under lava, maybe you shouldn't live so close to an active volcano.

But for the sakes of the people living there, I hope it'll quieten back down. I know I'd be high-tailing it out of there if it was me :undecided-new:

Art Blade

the only thing shocking was their ignorance and at the time, the amount of money that went into real estate in an active volcano island.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳