Computex 2017

Started by LowPolyOWG, May 30, 2017, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Yep, I'm going for Ryzen this time. No more Shintel for me
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

mandru

I'm far enough away from my next system rebuild that hopefully consumers will be irritated enough to kick Intel's a$$ financially.  Don't get me wrong I'm a committed Intel guy.  But Intel needs a really good jerk on the reins from their customers for this run-away-horse approach they've adopted for developing and releasing their new products.

We can see the pitiful state of things we've arrived at where Microsoft insists on trying to imitate and compete with Apple's "sheeple" niche market.  :'(

A marketing position of "The functionality is on the mother board but you need to pay to unlock it." is a piss poor business model and I've hated it whenever it has popped up in game discs I've purchased.  :angry-new:

I can only hope this *bleep* storm approach to innovation will abate and come back down to Earth before I need to buy again.

I would like to see users put their foot down and refuse to buy into the long established Intel business model of barely staying competitive with AMD through trying to one-up them (AMD) at the trade shows.

To paraphrase what Linus (the reviewer in the vid OWGKID posted) said: "Intel absolutely needs to coordinate with their hardware partners to release the best possible product pairings with actual consumer usable functionality and stop waiting to see what AMD is doing so they can judge what minimal innovations can be pulled off to either stay at par with AMD or possibly get one step ahead."  ::)

Also I'm strongly of the opinion that consumers need to stop screeching for CPUs with more cores and demand programing that is smart enough to seek out available processing threads and applying that information by actually allowing any PC configuration to run at its full potential.

Once a system running at its full potential is overwhelmed by an active suite of program's processing needs then and only then is it time to shop for more processing threads.

I'd also like to know why there has never been (as far as I'm aware) a data flow management utility that examines all programs running and distributes that demand and routes it with the most efficient queuing across all available threads possible.  I don't know about anyone else but in the past it has been infuriating to receive a System Notice that available resources are over burdened but examining the Performance tab under the Task Manager utility only one thread is carrying the load and the other seven threads are loafing around.

It's like a ditch digger sweating away down in the hole with seven supervisors yelling at him that he's not working hard enough.  :banghead:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: mandru on June 05, 2017, 09:08:59 AM
I'd also like to know why there has never been (as far as I'm aware) a data flow management utility that examines all programs running and distributes that demand and routes it with the most efficient queuing across all available threads possible.

AMD got you covered. Now, I don't know how NNP/SP perfoms realistically, but it's definitely similar to what you describe.

Yeah, there have been zero innovation in the CPU market since 2011. Also, Intel won't be able to launch those Kaby Lake X CPUs (i9s) until late 2017/early 2018 so AMD will definitely crush Intel for the time being. Intel did that a similar scheme for their first CPUs with Hyperthreading. You could pay a fee to enable that feature on non-HT CPUs. Very scummy...

mandru

"Cream always rises to the top" is an old saying here in the U.S. meaning that something good will always stand out and let itself be known.

The unfortunate unmentioned part of that stale old adage is that invariably "scum rises even faster".
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

PZ

Quote from: mandru on June 05, 2017, 11:16:04 AM
The unfortunate unmentioned part of that stale old adage is that invariably "scum rises even faster".

That is unfortunately the reality these days. The cream more likely is entirely overshadowed by the scum due to the enormous quantity of the latter.  :banghead:

nex

Ok, I'm biting the bullet...........

Just ordered a EVGA NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1060 3.0GB GDDRS, 192-Bit Memory Bus, PCI-Express x16 3.0 Clock Speeds: GPU: 1607MHz (Base) & 1835MHz (Boost) / Memory: 8008MHz
Price ZAR4000.00   :-X  ???

And don't any of you tell mrs nex, OK!!   :ranting:
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

not very likely :gnehe:

All I wonder is, three GB of RAM.. I thought we'd long reached 4GB as a standard these days. Games have started to make use of the extra amount of video RAM. I hope that you're not running into that kind of limitation any time soon. Then again, I think you're more likely to leave that 4:3 monitor of yours behind in exchange for a wide screen monitor :gnehe:

nex

I've been wondering about that Art, there is 1060 6GB as well, ZAR500.00 more expensive, I might just have a word with the sales guy, the buy is not finalized yet and they don't have stock at this stage, as soon as they get stock then he mails me a quote only then will the sale happen, so I can change the order

Art Blade

So there still is an option :thumbsup:

If money is scarce and prices are high, then you don't have much of a choice. But if you think about your gaming habits, then you can make a decision based on:

1) do you game a lot? The more the answer is towards yes, the more you should spend on the card.. a "once-per-week" gamer certainly can live with a low-end card. Someone who plays every day might get tired of a *bleep* card and appreciate a certain standard. I mean, every day.. ;)

2) do you almost exclusively play "old" titles? Ahem, I think "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands" kind of forces the answer.. so, newer games obviously benefit from newer cards (and by that, usually from more memory)

Come to think of recent screenshots you posted, I noticed they were in a 4:3 format. I therefore assume that your monitor is a native 4:3.

The questions above for the vid card are also valid regarding a monitor. A good friend told me many years ago, "think about how old your monitor is and how many new computers you bought in the meantime, always using the same monitor. A monitor obviously lasts a very long time. If you play a lot, and you do, don't you think you deserve a better (read: new) monitor? Just consider how much time you've spend and will spend in front of that monitor.." Well, I almost instantly bought a new monitor. Back then, a jump from 15" to 20" which was huge. Ever since, I've made sure that I kept up with certain standards. I don't even remember how many years I've been using wide screen, and this is only the 2nd wide screen monitor that I bought. A quick look at steam's system information..

" Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 23.62" x 13.39"  (27.13" diag)
                                            60.0cm x 34.0cm  (68.9cm diag)"

So, maybe you go with that 3GB card and with the money saved, you might consider investing in a new monitor.

Just a side note: whenever you check screenshots these days or watch videos on YouTube, you'll notice they're all widescreen. Unless they're copies of WWII news reels.. :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

:thumbsup:

I bought some new PC peripherals yesterday :bigsmile:

Razer Firefly RGB mouse mat/pad

Logitech G502 RGB

Now, I can have a lighting show on my desk 8)

After playing around with my Logitech, it's much better than the Razer Deathadder Chroma for the same price... The Logitech comes with weights (I can make the mouse heavier/lighter) and change DPI on the fly (200-12000), rather than fiddling with software. The mouse mat: Well, I only bought it for the lighting :-X

nex

I phoned my supplier Art, because they don't have stock it wasn't a mission for him to change the back order to the 6GB card.
Thanks for the heads up, a bit of hindsight on my part  :thumbsup:
Have to give you a slap on the back  +1

Unfortunately I have one of those things who make tracks just like a man, I taught her something which she won't forget nor side track from, if it's not broken don't fix or replace it   :-X

Art Blade

thank you, nexor :) I'm glad I could help. And for the second part, it's not TOO long until Christmas.. ;)

GKID, I'm a big fan of Logitech  O0

LowPolyOWG

You should always go for as much VRAM as possible. Developers have already maxed out the Trashbox/Trashstation 4 when it comes to capabilities. The PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio (One X) just gave them a little more longevity.

I wish AMD gave them access for Ryzen CPUs for the refreshes rather than their measly Faildozer based CPUs/APUs... Anyway, x86 wasn't much better back in 2005, I guess CPUs were just single/dual cores back then?

Tags:
🡱 🡳