FC2 Modding Help

Started by hxazgalor, October 09, 2019, 07:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hxazgalor

Hi all, just joined for one primary reason:

I just got FC2 and I'd like to tweak some stuff in the patch files. I found this tutorial, and this one but what I don't understand is whether I also need to add the other files I'm not editing from the 'libraries', 'mymod', and/or 'original' folders. What do I need to do? Can someone give me a quick guide on what I need to do right?

I'm using Gibbed Far Cry 2 modding tools, but the one found on ModDB.

Please advise. Thanks.

Art Blade

hey there,

it's been a long while but judging from what you wrote ("other files I'm not editing") and from what I wrote ("If you want to change files other than those residing in mymod's patch folder") then I think you don't need them.

Simple test: does the modding w0#k without? Fine. If it doesn't, you'll need them.

Hope that helps  :)

hxazgalor

Thanks for the reply. I also realized you're the author of that modding tutorial I shared in my first post  ???

What I mean is that since there are only two or three files that need to be edited for the mod to w0#k, the directions you wrote didn't indicate if I needed to copy over the other unedited files to the mymod/mypatch folder for it to w0#k correctly.

Taking ME3 as an example, I first need to decompile the Coalesced.bin file using a coalesced editor into its component .xml/.json files (housed in a folder called Coalesced), and edit whichever ones I need to edit. Once done, I drag and drop the folder onto the editor for it to recompile the whole thing into a brand new Coalesced.bin file.

Do I need to do something like that for my FC2 edits to w0#k properly?

Thanks again :anigrin:

Art Blade

:)

Please forgive me, I haven't played let alone modded FC2 in like 8 years. So all I can do right now is read my own descriptions, just like you. Although I said it before, I'll say it again:

"does the modding w0#k without? Fine." by which I mean, just try it. Try the least possible effort, just the files you want to modify.

"If it doesn't, you'll need them." by which I mean, it may require more effort, so keep going.

You and I could make it really simple by me telling you, "yes, you need all that stuff." If you don't want all that stuff, well, you can try the least possible effort.. ;)

nex

With you on that one Art.
Just copy the files needed, if my memory serves me right
Respect is earned, not given.

nex

I just found this:
Tutorial

If you want to change stuff in "gamemodesconfig.xml" which originally resides in "..\Far Cry 2\modding\original\patch\engine\gamemodes\" you need to create "\engine\gamemodes\gamemodesconfig.xml" inside "mypatch"

-> ..\Far Cry 2\modding\mypatch\engine\gamemodes\gamemodesconfig.xml

where you can then do whatever changes you like. Then run the build_patch.bat which will create the patch.dat and patch.fat files inside \Far Cry 2\modding\ so you can copy those freshly created patch files to \Far Cry 2\Data_Win32\ (careful not to override your original patch files there -- simply rename the extensions (.dat, .fat) to something like patch.steamdat and patch.steamfat so FC2 won't load them any more.

edit:
If you add files to the patch folder, in order to w@&k, you need to adjust the patch.xml file. Like this:
You now have a player.xml in the patch folder. Go back to the mymod folder and change the file in there as follows:

\Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch.xml

Open the file with a text editor and look for the last entry (22_weapons):

<object external="22_weapons.xml" />
</object>

just copy that line and paste it below, then replace the entry "22_weapons.xml" with "player.xml" like this

<object external="22_weapons.xml" />
<object external="player.xml" />
</object>

Save and exit, done. If you have other and more files there, just add them to the list as you just did with player.xml

Art Blade

here is the link to the tutorial which nex found (you can as well jump to the top of that topic)

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=2370.msg43491#msg43491

nex

Been a while, Art.......... :o   :anigrin: 

Art Blade

hxazgalor

Thanks much, guys O0 I'll give it a whirl later and see if it works out OK :)

EDIT: where can I find Wobat's XML decrypter? A Google search didn't help me with finding a DL link :(

Art Blade

I suppose it's actually just a typo and should have been "wombat."

Maybe this is what you're looking for: https://github.com/felipecsl/wombat

However, apparently LinkHero recommended downloading that thing for decrypting XML-files and the reason for that was readability. So my guess is that any program capable of decrypting XML should do.

LowPolyOWG

Hmm, maybe I should "clean" up my patches/mods. Too much garbage that isn't needed. Unless, the game decides to crash itself if some patch data is missing.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳