Impressions: Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Started by PZ, November 01, 2018, 09:45:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I completely agree - having in game purchases is disgusting. Helix credits they are calling it in the AC games, and there are interesting things you can "purchase" via those credits (which must be purchased with real money). However, I've never been tempted to purchase those things, and never will. I'd give the game up first.

Back on track, I'm now exposed to "cultists" which are a kind of above the norm foe. You can track them like regular quests, and each offers a different kind of adventure. Although I seriously miss the poison system in Origins, this game is definitely growing on me, and I'm eagerly anticipating each time I fire up the Playstation. There are so many quests, and more are added each day so when you go to a message board in an area, there is always something new to explore.

Art Blade

I'm glad that you're starting to enjoy it, PZ :)

PZ

Thanks AB, I am too because the AC series has always been a favorite. We'll see how it goes however, because there are bosses somewhere along the line.

PZ

Another thing I like is that there appears to be no limit to the number of game saves you can do, just like in FC2.

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: PZ on November 12, 2018, 12:49:53 PM
I completely agree - having in game purchases is disgusting. Helix credits they are calling it in the AC games, and there are interesting things you can "purchase" via those credits (which must be purchased with real money). However, I've never been tempted to purchase those things, and never will.

The true customers of the game industry/any public traded corporation are the shareholders. Given how they expect more and more money, it is not going to be sustainable.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

the biggest problem for customers is a company that considers "shareholder value" more important than the actual customers' and company's needs. It is nonsense. But present almost everywhere.

LowPolyOWG

Yeah. In the AAA game industry, it goes so far that it neglects game developer's w0#k conditions along with other bollocks we don't need.

LowPolyOWG

Thanks to the free Upay+, I decided to install the game. Basically AC Origins, but more RPG. Being a SP game, I decided to fire up my "ATM" and get myself to lvl 99 :gnehe:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Cutscenes look better :laughsm:

THIS IS SPARTA

Is this a map?

Nice brown eyes/white tunic :anigrin:

:huh-new:

Turning a poor Spartan into pixelated bytes :anigrin:

Whatever Kassandra gave Ikaros, it was definitely not eagle food :laughsm:

Art Blade

:)

What I don't understand is why your screenshots, not only of this game, keep showing a truly enormous pixelation of objects, as if your graphics card came straight from a 1980s console. Do you like it like that or is it a serious problem?

LowPolyOWG

It's the way it's meant to be played ;)

Just a fancy thing you can do with your Nvidia drivers

Art Blade

hehe, you've proven to be more than capable of screwing up graphics with driver manipulations :gnehe:

While most people, including myself, are trying to tweak the graphics to look better while still playable (fast) you seem to enjoy making them look like a game of LEGO while still playable :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Some of those shots remind me of way back when in Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer there was a big debate on how some people played, especially in the league competitions back then. Seems there was a certain set of config options in the game that you could do to essentially blur and fade all the textures in the game except for the player textures, then there was a setting to make the player textures ultra bright. This made the game look absolutely horrible but had two advantages, it made the game run really fast because most of the textures were downsampled to a couple pixels each (no really!) so there was very little to load in the video card and transfer to the screen so high frame rate. The other was that it made players stand out like a sore thumb against a very smooth even background so they couldn't really use the terrain to hide in. It also reduced all objects to their hitbox so that it was exactly the shape of the actual thing that would block movement or bullets. So you knew there was nothing in the way of shooting someone else, no hiding in a bush that was really only decoration. One of the players posted a screenshot on the forums back then and a lot of regular players couldn't believe that high ranked league players actually played that way. Words like cheating and hacking were tossed around, it was quite a bru-ha-ha for a few weeks. League rules had nothing against it, so most teams played with configs like that to level the playing field, as you essentially had to, so that other players wouldn't have a visibility edge against anyone else.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳