Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Interesting but I wonder if it matters that you get that kind of money windfall at the end of the game, when everything is over, and you really don't need money.

BinnZ

Well, you might want to buy a new horse? Or some horseshoes 🙃
"No hay luz"

PZ

:D

Yeah, evidently you lose everything except your weapons. I had a black Arabian that I was really fond of - had to watch him die in my hands. I now have a new Arabian, but it is not the same - I think it would have been much better if my current character could have found Arthur's horse.

I'm still able to make some use of the gold bar glitch, but only 2 bars at a time now, but that's still $1000 a pop, and a couple of those gives me enough money to purchase the Arabian.

In most games I've played my character builds increasingly toward the end of the game, and this is the first one where you are nearly done with the game and you basically start over building your character, which for me is a complete let-down. I dislike having to start over.

LowPolyOWG

Well, that's how the story goes ::)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Indeed, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

LowPolyOWG

Agree. I don't really like the survival game elements/overly detailed realism and the greed induced Online mode. I have seen the survival elements in other games already and too much realism is an annoyance.

PZ

Yeah, I can see how it would become a bother after playing the game for a long time. I don't mind looking after my horse though - he (or she) responds to pats, grooming, feeding etc., and they increasingly like to be with you.

PZ

Well, I finished the main story line today and am now free roaming the southern map, which is fun because it is the desert environment I really enjoy. However, I was ambushed by a thuggish group of Mexican bandits. They must have circumvented the wall.

I now have a ranch on which I shovel manure, milk cows, and place hay in multiple locations, all activities I could do without - kind of boring.

fragger

Sounds like it turned into Farming Simulator :huh-new:

LowPolyOWG

But with guns and early 20th century tech ;)

Art Blade

no wonder the Wild West is long gone down the drain.

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

Art Blade

haha, I read that, too but didn't comment on it. Yep, funny remark O0

PZ

:gnehe:

Well, I roamed the southern (old map) and remembered much of the scenery from RDR1. Other than that, there were no towns of reasonable size with facilities to allow train or coach travel, and very little in the way of things to do other than capture horses and kill animals. Of course, there are the infrequent bandit assaults, but nothing like that today.

As a consequence, I set the PS4 back to online, and did updates, then set the console to sleep as I turned on the TV to watch something more interesting than continuing RDR2. However, I'm afraid that my tenure in the game is mostly over unless there is something interesting in the online version.

I do not see any replay value because it is way too difficult to build your assets - it seems like you are always struggling to make your character better equipped to deal with the environment.  It feels kind of like trying to keep your head above water so you do not drown.

For example, just for kicks, I killed a couple of thugs in a town that were bad mouthing me. Naturally the citizens reported me and soon the cops were coming my way. I killed quite a few, but the game is rigged to send increasing numbers so you are eventually overwhelmed - outrageously unrealistic when you consider a far off the grid little town. Having an army of cops descend on you in the middle of nowhere is simply boring, and I exited the game because it is so lame.

I will give the game another go with the online version as long as I can create a closed session, but I doubt that it will be much fun.

I think I'll go back to AC:Odyssey - the new DLC is downloading along side the RDR2 update.

Art Blade

what a shame, I thought that RDR2 was going to be a brilliant sandbox game.

Tags:
🡱 🡳