Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

It seems R* wanted more details than an actual game ::)
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

nex

On 19 December I saw was the latest report that if it's going on pc or not
will be decided sometime in 2019
Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

I started the online version this morning, and of course, had to start from scratch with nothing but crappy weapons and a horse that for some reason is titled something like "tired old nag". The horse is similar to what I started with in single player, with very little stamina and health. My character is customizable, which is cool, but still had little in the way of health and stamina just like starting SP. I now have a rusty rifle and crappy w0#k cattleman's revolver, both with little ammo, and none of the good kind. I would have preferred to start with what I earned in SP because the way it is currently designed, I feel like I am part way through a game that has crashed forcing me to start over again.

There is a rather pointless intro mission to do after which you are to start an online session, but as of yet, I do not see a way to do so in a closed session. A good part is that the entire map is revealed, but again somewhat pointless if you have completed the SP game.

The online game (still listed as beta in the menu) is apparently forcing you to join other gamers (from 1 to 4 random people) in order to start the mission. Being already tired and having zero desire to join random people, I simply exited the game and removed the disc. Not sure if I will play again.

I actually started AC:Odyssey, but because RDR2 was a let-down, I quit that game as well only a couple of minutes into it. Besides, I still think AC:Origins still is a far superior game - UBI*bleep* seems to like taking the best parts of games out of their subsequent games.

BinnZ

I feel sorry for your bad experience in RDR2 PZ. I thought it would be the best game in years and graphically speaking I think it is. The extraordinary reviews on release pointed in the same direction. However, for some reason they managed to make it a massive let-down for you, introducing stuff I'm not familiar with when looking at my long long R* games experience. I hope they fix the online part and make it a working, enjoyable thing. Especially before they launch (if they ever do) the game on PC. I will buy, even pre-order, the game anyway, since I'm a R* fanatic, but I can imagine that the stuff you guys revealed about loosing progress in SP and having to start some sort of Hay Day game, plus the money grabbing bullshit related to the online version of the game might spoil my fun with it too in a short time :undecided-new:
"No hay luz"

PZ

I hope it will get better because as you wrote, it is one of the most beautiful landscapes I have seen to date in just about any game, and that is only on a console. Also, the online part is still listed as a "beta" in the menu so they are probably working on making it easier/better because I would guess they would follow the success plan from GTA. We'll see - might need to get back into the social club and see what happens there. I seem to recall GTA starting through the club interface or something like that, but nothing like that in this game yet, at least on the console. However, there is a menu choice for starting the social club from within the game.

Art Blade

at least GTA required me to always use their social club at least in the background, it had to be always online. The game would launch through steam which in turn would launch the social club. There wasn't any online mode without social club running. Joining the online game and disconnecting from it was done by using in-game menus. Joining friends required them to be on your social club friends list.

PZ

Sounds familiar - I hope that using a friends list in the social club will allow you to make a closed session with only your friends rather than having strangers in your session

Art Blade

at least GTA had two types of online. One that was open ("public") and others that were not public. As long as they don't implement different types, you won't be able to create a session that stays non-public.

BinnZ

That will totally be up to how R* wants you to connect online, but they will probably give you both options, since they must know many players want to connect to friends only. That option might exclude certain game modes or achievements though, same as in GTA Online.
I just checked; RDR2 is listed in the social club as a purchasable game with achievements, stats, challenges and of course, friends. So yes, it's definitely connected to RDR2 progress and friends connectivity, however since you mentioned you could play the game without SC running, it might be a thingy between R* and PS4 / XBOX 1. Maybe these platforms didn't like it that R*'s own social connectivity program was forced on their already existing social networking.
Interesting development actually.
"No hay luz"

PZ

Yes - should be interesting to see where things go

Art Blade

hey PZ, I found a vid telling you how to make money online by hunting. He made about $75 in 15 minutes. That youtuber is the one I've been "using" for all things Hitman so I know he really wants to help.

Spoiler

LowPolyOWG

Is that video pre-patch or post patch? You see, the *bleep*s at Rapestar nerfed money gains from hunting after some price cuts

Art Blade

In case you haven't checked out when the video was released, it was published on 1st of January, 2019. Would you think Mr Freeze published this vid after a patch that removed all what the vid is about?

LowPolyOWG

I didn't checked the date  :-X I have seen youtubers taking down their videos and reupload them when a new change occurs. Not bad for money grinding, but they still want their $$$ from Micah's transactions store.

Art Blade

The sad thing about recent game development, including but not limited to RDR2, is the fact that players need to spend an awful lot of time GRINDING for stuff rather than unlocking things thanks to game progress. Or, rather than having fun playing the game thanks to a great story and/or lots of significant side missions, all that players have to focus on these days is bloody grinding. And if you look closely, the grinding is part of the concept of (some of) the gaming industry that are essentially designing their games so that grinding is so annoying that the only way around it is to PAY with real money to unlock the stuff other people spend days and weeks grinding for. That's not gaming, that's a bloody waste of time.

And that is the reason why I gave up on GTA, because all you do is grind away your life only to get some new toys, and the same goes for other games, for instance, Ubisoft's AC:Black Flag and AC:Unity.

I just can't stand that nonsense anymore.

Tags:
🡱 🡳