Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Well, that happens when you tie game logic to frame rate ::) Kinda like Bethetic and their Creation engine games
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Can't wait for R* Launcher errors again :D

Art Blade

yes, that's probably the biggest problem now :undecided-new:

BinnZ

I found an interactive map, very user friendly:

RDR2 map
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

wow.. that's cool!

+1 :thumbsup: for that :)

Art Blade

Today I spent perhaps 4 hours trying to find a good setting for RDR2.

The problem is that even my monster PC can't handle RDR2 smoothly at absolute maximum settings, I get down to almost 40 fps and on average it stays under 60 so I had to give in a bit. Actually there was another problem which I would call a "boomer" design decision. You know, old-fashioned. Meaning, the benchmark that leads you through several scenarios with snow storms, foggy swamps, open prairie at night, a town at night, and a shootout in a town in the evening is actually really good BUT those designer clowns decided that you first have to change the gfx settings and apply them before you can run the benchmark. That way you can observe how you screwed up some settings but cannot fall back to the previous setting because you changed them to what you just watched. That caused me a LOT of trial and error runs. First I went from Ultra down to something that on average delivered 60 FPS and then I started to crank it up again until I barely got those 60 FPS. Why 60? Because I decided to run it with VSYNC ON. Because the benchmark actually caused tearing without, in the town shootout. Well.

A gazillion of things to change and the benchmark runs for what, four minutes? 10 changes = 40 minutes plus the time you spend in between, guessing what to change next. That's how I got to spend nearly 4 hours watching benchmarks. Changes, either back to what it used to be or, if you forgot, to something new. Also, those clowns thought it best not to show your FPS until the benchmark finished its run. I had to resort to steam's FPS overlay..

parental advisory: explicit language
while watching that FUCKING BENCHMARK for the 1,000th time and an eye on the corner of the screen to observe the TINY numbers of that FPS counter for FUCKING HOURS
..until I finally got a result that is close enough to ULTRA yet toned down just enough to run at 60 fps on average.

From what I saw, VULKAN looks better than DirectX12. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to like a steam overlay in-game because I was only able to activate the overlay to read some chat message but I could neither type a chat reply nor close the overlay anymore. The input from mouse and keyboard went straight to the game below the overlay. I couldn't do anything but quit the game and restart. Including the R* launcher and social club, every time.

Oh, and with VULKAN I can't record videos unless I record the whole desktop and that includes alt-tabbing out and steam messages popping up.. damn. And DX12 is about the same, it shows steam overlays that shouldn't show so essentially I can't focus the recording on the game. Well, so I switched back to Vulkan because it looks better. But because it stays with the steam overlay stuck on the screen IF you check messages I decided to disable the steam overlay for this game in order to avoid old habits to force me to quit the game because I accidentally "toggled" the steam overlay mid-game. And that means I can't take screenshots with steam.

Brilliant :banghead:

But now that I'm done configuring and benchmarking, it is amazing how good the game looks. :gnehe:

I really need to get used to the strange feeling that controlling the character (Arthur) is somehow wonky. Third person is unlike other games and first person, too. It's a strange feeling of controlling the camera more than the actual character. It is possible to change quite a few things about how to control the movements, though. Might find something useful eventually.

Speaking of controls.. the key-mapping.. not long ago we discussed flight simulators being over the top with its triple-bound keys and so on. Well, this game is actually no different. Feels like three pages of different key meanings so they might even be more than triple-bound at times. As of now, I have no idea how to learn all those controls ???

I guess it's a matter of time. Some stuff is for mini games, some for cameras, some for riding, some for fighting, some for.. everything you can imagine got it's own sub-menu for key maps. Crazy.

However. I want to learn all the stuff :anigrin:

BinnZ

One little tip I got from Uzi about key mapping which seems very useful to me is that on stock settings you navigate your horse with the mouse. However, you'd better change that to WSAD because there will be a time when you want to shoot, hence aim when sitting on your horse and that's when your horse will always walk towards your target if you don't change that ;)
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

Steam update of today:
QuoteOverlay:
Fixed an issue where the overlay could become stuck on top of the game in Red Dead Redemption 2.

:)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

haha, the horse was the first thing I changed :D

And thanks O0 for that steam notice. That getting stuck issue was super annoying.

Dweller_Benthos

I'm still on the fence on this one, I may let it sit for a white and see how it goes.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

in-game video setup and benchmark, if you're interested.

yes, a video

Art Blade

I played it for 22 hours, it said on steam. Says it all. :anigrin:

Buddy Arthur
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dweller_Benthos

I haven't even been awake 22 hours since it released, lol. (Not really, but just saying.....)
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳