Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

"Favorite" is probably a combination of how long you actually have the weapon equipped, which puts the fists ahead of the others a lot as you're walking around with them all the time (unless the system ignores non-combat situations, which it might) and how often you use a weapon in combat, how much damage you do with it, etc. Art apparently gets in a lot of fist fights, where Binn not so much. For me, though I haven't checked yet, I only use fists in the story missions that require it, like the bar fights and stuff. I never use fists or any melee combat option if I can avoid it in any game.

Recall a while ago, I asked about tapping while galloping to save horse stamina? Art thought it was following a group leader, and I didn't think about it much after that, until again yesterday it seemed I wasn't getting the stamina from my horse that I should, so I looked it up and it is a thing, tapping the forward button while galloping in exact time with your horse's gallop will preserve it's speed and it's stamina. Doing it correctly is another thing. Here's a couple reddit posts.

from r/reddeadredemption

from r/reddeadredemption

from r/reddeadredemption

That's for console, but the system applies to PC as well. I know I read a popup hint about it at one point, but didn't get the details, because, of course, there are no details about it in the game. Typical. Here's a video on several horse maneuvers you can pull off (mostly the beginning of the video, but the rest of the tips are nice to know as well)

Just let me say, I can do none of those maneuvers with my horse, though I should be able to. That video is slanted towards consoles, so what the equivalent actions are on PC, I don't know.

The on screen popup "explaining" it:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

OK, thanks for the vid on which I'd like to comment a bit.

Although I know how to perform those "stunts," none of them are really useful and required in any normal gameplay situation.

As to tapping in rhythm with the gallop to prevent the draining.. there's a different option he didn't mention that works better and is easier: just keep patting your horse while galloping. You'll notice that every 10 seconds or so the stamina ring around the core will partly refill, typically it refills just as much as it got drained before. If you keep patting the horse which is easy, you don't have to time the patting which would be an alternative to constant patting. I used my Sweet Poor Thing for the most demanding horse race, the dry dash under 17 minutes from Van Horn to Blackwater and arrived with almost full cores and a full stamina ring. And it's definitely not a race horse, and with saddle boosts a 5/5 speed/acceleration isn't really impressive, either, but I still managed. That was a great moment of victory :) The only situation patting alone won't do it (nor would tapping) is when you're on your horse while it's swimming across a river with a strong current. It drains the horse's stamina so fast that you can't refill it without potions. Unfortunately you're not allowed to apply food or potions to your horse while it's swimming (yeah, sure, you can do that when galloping but not when swimming... :banghead: ) so the only way to cross a wide river with a strong current is to apply the most powerful horse stimulant (stamina potion) and use the shortest path to cross the river.

Horse bonding, I always use the slow approach. Lasso is barbaric  :anigrin:

So, all in all, nothing new except the synced hammering a key but the alternative (patting) works just as good and is way easier.

BinnZ

I never used the tapping... should try it just out of curiosity. The patting works, but not as good as you said; eventually you will loose stamina because what you get from patting is slightly less than what you drain at full speed. However that's how it works in online. I took notice and kept trying ever since, because I think in single player it was better than in online. Plus, in online you can only pat your horse while riding when it's time for its time-based patting-stamina-recovery, if that makes any sense
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

yeah, makes sense to me. In SP patting was good enough to keep my horse going for nearly 17 minutes mostly full gallop (the Van Horn to Blackwater race) without any stamina potions so I won that race the first time I tried it with SPT. :)

LowPolyOWG

Interesting finds about your weapon usage stats, Art. O0

Regarding the Etta farm, I decided to run the mission, with a 30 minute countdown timer on my phone. I decided to see how long it takes to grab Etta and apparently, it's like 5-6 minutes of waiting, then you have 30 minutes of idle time for max payout. I had the phone timer at 30 minutes, but I could probably have waited a little more, as I got like $225 and Etta pays out $250 once you have waited long enough.

Speaking of collections, it seems plants/bird eggs is the easiest to get 10 stacks of each items, flowers are everywhere and some bird species have more than 1 egg that you collect at the same time :) I'll take my time with this "challenge", but it will definitely make me rich  :gnehe:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

cheers :)

and good luck with your challenges O0

Dweller_Benthos

Interesting on the patting vs the tapping effect. I think I can get the tapping thing down maybe 50% of the time, at least it seems it's working, the stamina ring flashes red but the horse doesn't "grunt". SO I'm assuming that's what you want to happen, and it seems the stamina doesn't drop much. Of course, that's only 50% of the time, the rest I can't even get it started, it's very finicky. Of course, there's differences in the SP vs online as well, since in online you can't pat your horse as much, as that's used for an honor increase function as well. So they can't have you going around killing people, getting negative honor only to pat your horse for a few minutes and be back on the good side.
D_B

Art Blade

I tried to find that "tapping key" and couldn't. What function does it have if not used for tapping?

E.g. "jump" with "brake" makes it rear up, "jump" with left/right performs a piaffe, then there is the patting key, the whistle key, the "throttle" key.. hmmm.. is it perhaps the "forward" key?

LowPolyOWG

Huh, interesting offer.

Another hideout clearing :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

Decided to get this horse, unlocked by leveling up your collector role to max :bigsmile: Now, I can run fast.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on April 19, 2020, 05:19:54 PM
I tried to find that "tapping key" and couldn't. What function does it have if not used for tapping?

E.g. "jump" with "brake" makes it rear up, "jump" with left/right performs a piaffe, then there is the patting key, the whistle key, the "throttle" key.. hmmm.. is it perhaps the "forward" key?

As far as I know, it's the key used to make the horse run. Not the forward key (which I would presume most people have on W) but the run key, which I think default is left shift. At least that's the one I've been using. I have yet to try the controller while on the horse like I do while driving in GTA. It may be easier to do that way. I don't like using the controller because I find combat impossible on controller, and horse combat is very important in this game unlike vehicle combat in GTA which isn't so much. But I'd have to drop the controller and switch to mouse and keyboard every time I get attacked while on horseback, and that's quite often and usually suddenly with no warning. Switching controls would lose precious seconds that matter.
D_B

BinnZ

I also thought it was left shift, the 'run' button for horse riding. I tried it and had the same idea about the effect as D_B reported; the core flashes red but the circle doesn't seem to loose anything. However, tapping left shift with my pinky finger is deffo not what I want to do when horse riding.  :anigrin:

Nice horse GKID! I got that same breed, but I went for the other coat, also with maxed out stats. I think it's called 'marble something'. It is small, but bigger than the Arabians. And it behaves nicely, is good for long journeys, making it very good for collectors. It is somewhat skittish with predators, but hey, aren't they all :gnehe:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

OK, thanks guys. :)

When I tried tapping the shift key, it made my horse go faster than I originally wanted. So I assume it's really only for full speed plus turbo which normally exhausts the horse more than I like it to. I'll try it out next time :)

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: BinnZ on April 20, 2020, 08:29:42 AM
Nice horse GKID! I got that same breed, but I went for the other coat, also with maxed out stats. I think it's called 'marble something'. It is small, but bigger than the Arabians. And it behaves nicely, is good for long journeys, making it very good for collectors. It is somewhat skittish with predators, but hey, aren't they all :gnehe:

The real life Criollo is known for its endurance and abilty to survive in tough conditions.

Regarding the legendary bounty, you can kill off the entire gang in their stage coaches for some free XP, once you have captured Etta. I also figured out that enemies will ignore you as long you don't rush Etta when trying to capture her. Sometimes, I have died due to enemies attacking me, when trying to hogtie Etta. Let's hope R* doesn't alter the enemies ignoring you, which will make the farming useless

Dweller_Benthos

I tried riding a bit last night with the controller instead of keyboard. And though it's smoother in turning, but for me, more awkward in everything else. You have to use the stick to move forward at a normal pace, and then use the button to run faster. Then tap the button to not drain stamina, again, it doesn't tell you if you're doing it right, only the circle flashes and if the horse doesn't grunt, you're OK, but get off time just a little bit and you've messed it up.

Art, the goal is to run as fast as possible and not drain your horse's stamina too much or at all. If the normal pace of the horse is what works for you, then you don't need to bother.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳