Get that new video card before the crypto currency people buy them all

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 14, 2017, 06:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I never understood how all that bitcoin-type stuff worked. And I still don't, really, but apparently using a bunch of video cards running 24/7 makes you money? So, there's a shortage on certain video cards now.

Here's the link

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/cryptocurrency-mining-fueling-a-gpu-shortage

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

AMD cards are generally better than Nvidia when it comes to computing tasks. Their GCN architecture favours high levels of parallellism. Games haven't been able to tap into that, making AMD loose performance in DX11, but gain performance tremendously with the low-level APIs DX12/Vulkan. Nvidia loose performance, their GPU architecture favours serial task distribution/execution.

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Honestly, the RX 580 is a RX 480, but with higher clocks. Still, a very viable card for datamining as DB pointed out.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-500-series-release-date

The cards use a different 14nm manufacturing process (LPP rather than LPE in the Rx 4xx).

PZ

LowPolyOWG

fragger

LowPolyOWG

Decided to go ahead and try some cryptocurrency mining by myself. My RX 480 should suffice, being a RX 580 with lower clocks, it's the same thing. Currently downloading the data blocks (3.9 million of them!) ???

Is it legal? Yes, as long I add any income from that on my tax deduction, I should be fine :gnehe:

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Well, I did a read about what Skatteetaten said (Norwegian Internal Revenue Services) about that. It's legal as long I add it on my tax deduction.

Tags:
🡱 🡳