Computex 2017

Started by LowPolyOWG, May 30, 2017, 11:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nex

Christmas!! Christmas is for children, and mrs nex says I'm not a children anymore   :laughsm:
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

damn  :anigrin:

OK, save money. First buy something SHE likes, and when she's got it, THEN it's time to quickly get that monitor for yourself. :gnehe: Maybe do it in one go while taking her along with you. "Glad you like it.. oh, look, there's a shop that sells monitors.." :gnehe:

If she doesn't want you to buy something for her, then you can say that in that case, you're going to buy something for yourself instead, a monitor :gnehe:

If nothing works, an excuse could be, "look darling, it's cheaper to buy a bigger monitor than to buy a new pair of glasses."  :D

nex

She knows all the tricks in the book, she even wrote some of them........
Nope, been secretly hoping the lightning might toast it, but then again if that happens she might
force me to use the old mono screen, "I told you to unplug the computer, but you always know better"
I just have to wait until the darn thing just packs up one day     :'(

Art Blade

I don't think she can ever find this out:

Ask a friend whether he's going to need that second monitor which he's going to buy for you, the money for it conveniently laying on the table so you don't explicitly give it to him. Just make sure the missis is present when he asks you whether you want that monitor. Perhaps for a small amount so it doesn't look too fishy. :anigrin:

Even IF she gets suspicious how someone can coincidentally ask you.. you could have told him that you had no way of buying one for yourself which gave him the idea. :anigrin:

Then again.. I'm more for the no tricks, no lying. I'd simply tell her that you can't bloody stand that medieval thing any more and that people aren't using a Neanderthal's stone tools these days EVEN THOUGH they're still working. :evil2: Like, "you see, I don't want to die with that darn monitor still sitting on my desk. I want to enjoy today's technology while I still can." Happiness can very well result from unnecessary things like once every 10 years a new monitor even if the old one still works. ;)

If everything fails, knock that bastard off the desk and buy a replacement. "Doesn't matter how that happened. I need a new one."

LowPolyOWG

He he, I hope you'll get some new hardware, Nex :)

Even my RX 480 cries on GRW, I still get 30 fps when I go into the jungle. Other areas are fine though. I guess UBI*bleep* got bottlenecked with DX11. The game seems to rely on fake bumps (parallax mapping) to create the terrain on higher settings. Noticeable when driving with the in-game Lamborghini
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

nex

I can see you've NEVER met mrs nex Art, you think i'm full of *bleep*, wait till you meet her.......  :banghead: ???

The other day she said she thinks she needs a new car,
I have looked at a number of suitable brooms but haven't decided which one to buy her    :-X

Art Blade

you need to buy a car. Make it so that there's money left for your monitor. :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

LowPolyOWG

PZ

LowPolyOWG

Better replace your 980 with a RX Vega then, when AMD launch that ;) Or, get a 1080 or 1080Ti and a g-sync version. If Samsung will release that.

Personally, the 1440p 27 inch will suit my needs :bigsmile:

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Depends on your needs  :-X If your GPU can handle such high resolutions, yes, go for it. If not, swap out the GPU

LowPolyOWG

AMD is back in the HEDT market again :bigsmile: Funnily, Intel's i7-6900K (octa-core Skylake) costed the same :laughsm: Competition is good :gnehe:

AdoredTV's review on Threadripper

Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter's thoughts on the Intel Coffee Lake (Core 8xxx). Looks like AMD forced Intel to innovate. Intel did rushed out the X299 boards, as AMD caught them completely off guard.

Tags:
🡱 🡳