colour footage Europe 1944-1945 by Jack Lieb

Started by Art Blade, December 29, 2018, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

WHAT ??? I never knew that. Wow, indeed, a cool find :)

I reckon that deserves a +1 :thumbsup: :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah 3D photography was a big thing back then. Some middle and most upper class homes had a stereopticon to view 3D images with. They were sent as postcard-type mailings from people who were rich enough to go on vacation, a way of saying, "Yeah we were here and it looked cool" sort of thing, or just purchased from a shop or the photographer's studio itself. With no TV or radio, it was a form of entertainment beyond gathering around the piano or organ and singing songs or listening to the Victrola.

I've done this type of photography quite a bit, built my own stereopticon from a kit, and have a couple modern versions as well. The way they most likely did it back then was with two cameras mounted side-by-side on a tripod, and of course, outside in the sunlight with the subjects sitting very still. Both cameras exposed at the same time so that there wasn't any movement that would occur if you used one camera and just moved it sideways after taking the first shot and then take the second, which is how I did most of my photos.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

My father had a colleague that had a 3D camera that worked quite well. This was back in the 1960's. It was built like a regular 35mm camera but had two lens spaced apart about the same distance as human eyes. I've not seen another camera like it since.

Dweller_Benthos

There were a few designs for 3D cameras with two lenses, some might still be available. Not sure if any new ones have been made that shoot digitally, most would just expose two adjoining frames of film, usually slide film, and you'd view them in a viewer much like the old Viewmaster toy.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Sounds like something you would find in the Fallout universe  :gnehe:

Art Blade

haha yes :anigrin:

I loved my viewmaster when I was a kid. It was made of red plastic and you would insert a cardboard disc from the top and to the right was a lever to click through the pics by turning the disc internally.

fragger

Quote from: PZ on January 08, 2019, 10:04:38 AM
Sounds like something you would find in the Fallout universe  :gnehe:

Yeah, it does :gnehe:

PZ

I miss playing Fallout 3 which I heavily modded with everything form graphics, to weapons, to NPCs. That was the most fun for me in that game.

fragger

Have you played FO4, PZ?

I'm not sure, but I might have let it slip once or twice that I kind of like it :gnehe:

PZ

Yes, I have the game in the PC version because I wanted to do the same kind of mods I did in FO3. Not sure why I did not continue with the game, but is likely because I am a flaky kind of gamer - easily distracted by other things.

I should fire up the game one of these days when I get the chance.

Tags:
🡱 🡳