OMG Penguins!

Started by PZ, January 22, 2019, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I smoked a few racks of ribs, turned briefly toward the bay and saw a raft of penguins!

Here's the album of the rib cook and the penguins

Art Blade

no pics, only a headline?

PZ

F'in Google - maybe CTRL-F5? I'm not signed in but I see them  :main_knockout:

Art Blade

all good, I told noscript to temporarily accept google.com and it worked.

Nice, those ribs, yum :) At first I thought you were joking about those penguins, but you weren't ??? What an amazing sight. O0

That goes for the penguins, too. :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah nice ribs! Penguins, lol! Geese though, nasty and noisy.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yeah, it was a shocking sight - the geese looked just like penguins because their butts were in the air as they were diving for food. Of course, it took a strong set of binoculars to see that they were actually geese and not penguins  :gnehe:

Art Blade

nex

Quote from: PZ on January 22, 2019, 09:15:20 PM
I smoked a few racks of ribs,
I did a skinless deboned pork neck a few days ago PZ (forgot to take some pics)
Made some brine (Freddy Hirsch  instant cure) added Coke and some smoke liquid
then left it in the fridge for 24 hours before smoking it.
After roasting it in a oven bag I covered it with Aluminium foil for an hour before slicing it.
Came out very tender and juicy.
Respect is earned, not given.

fragger

PZ, at first I thought you were serious about the penguins and I thought wtf, penguins? There? :gnehe: The world's gone crazy - then I saw the caption.

Nice-looking ribs btw, ooh yeah O0

nex, that sounds really yummy too :) :thumbsup:

nex

Thanks fragger, I usually do pork neck with the skin on, like pork belly.
Mrs nex's been fighting with me for some time now about the fat between the
skin and the meat (s' not he@lthy ...... :ranting:)
I always trim the fat off after roasted, cut it up as small as possible then
slowly cook it till all the oil is out, then bottle it and refrigerate. As a snack,
I spread some on a slice of bread. 
So I went to a German butcher not far from us and asked them to do a
deboned_deskin no fat pork neck for me.
The only problem, the skin and fat keeps it moist, specially when it needs to
be cured, smoked and then roasted, the outside layer of the meat becomes dry and tough,
wrapping it in aluminium foil as soon as it leaves the oven and let it cool down
keeps it moist and tender.
Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

Thanks fragger!  When I saw the geese without using glass, I too thought wtf?? looks like penguins!!

That neck meat sounds fantastic nex  :thumbsup:

I too like to use the trimmed fat when I smoke meat - I always leave some on the meat because just like you said, without it, the meat dries and becomes tough.

These days I mostly cut it into small cubes like you, render it and use the rendered bits in ground sausage. The rendered fat is also used to make some kind of ground meat, either beef or pork when a really lean cut is ground. The toughest cuts are the cheapest here, and using fat from other tough cuts makes them as tender as butter, and very flavorful.

Art Blade

PZ wasn't serious about the penguins, alright. That's how he explained it to us. I think all of us ignored what made him see penguins. Take a close look..

Quote from: PZ on January 22, 2019, 09:15:20 PM
I smoked a few racks of ribs, turned briefly toward the bay and saw a raft of penguins!

smoking a few racks of ribs.. that apparently beats smoking a pipe of crack after popping some LSD while fiddling with the now empty heroin syringe still sticking in the cervical artery..

PZ

:laughsm: :thumbsup:

I knew you gents would be good $p@rts  :gnehe:

... and, you did not want to offend the old fool that thinks he found penguins in North Idaho  ;D

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳