Ride 2 (2016)

Started by Art Blade, February 07, 2019, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

Racing in the middle of a city was always interesting, and must really make commuting anywhere a real pain. But yeah, scream down this street at maximum throttle, but watch for the sharp corner at the end!
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

some of those corners are really bad. Over time, I must have rubbed off so much tissue you could rebuild me from it.

Art Blade

Alright, time for something new here.

* No racing line for more immersion/reality.
* Medium AI for more challenge.
* Live helmet cam because we all love it.. but
* additionally, live TV cams that captured action-packed moments, in real time.
* made possible by editing two simultaneous video streams and cutting back and forth.
* the whole vid stays on the same time line, camera changes are in sync.

Not only helmet cam for the thrills but action-packed scenes like accidents and flying bikes are captured by TV cams. Edited so it stays synchronised with the ongoing race. No racing line for more realism. Enjoy :)

Art Blade

might take a little bit until the "post processing" has finished..

Art Blade

ah, it's already looking good now :)

fragger

Just watched, quality looks fine already :thumbsup: Out of curiosity, how big a video file size did you end up with after exporting from OpenShot? I noticed that when I exported a video from it, the file size was quite a bit smaller than it was going in (1.5GB down to 0.75GB, half the size).

That software makes editing fairly easy, huh? Once you know what you're doing, that is :gnehe: Doesn't take long to learn it though. However, I had a couple of crashes with it when I was trying to so some stuff, but that might have been due to fragmented memory because I'd been gaming for a while earlier in the same Windows session.

Anyway, nice job mate, you synchronized the helmet-cam and TV shots well 8)

Geez, you knocked everybody off though...

Art Blade

cheers :anigrin: Most crashes I didn't even notice while racing, only afterwards when watching the replay. Which gave me the idea.

Yep, I put in two files of about 1.8GB and 1.9GB and got 1.6GB as a result.

I too had crashes at first (not now, but when I tried my first stuff) but I think if you let the software take its time to actually process what you want it to do, like cutting and blending clips doesn't just happen instantly, you should be fine. Easiest way to find out is if you click on something on the menu bar, it won't open until the processing is done :)

I did some manual tweaking during the export file dialogue. I made sure to get the desired format and fps (input was 1920*1080/60fps "good") I chose the same except "medium" which should equal "good" from D3DGear. I also edited the audio output: Knowing that D3DGear only records at 44.1 kHz while OpenShot wants to do 48kHz at 192kb/s, I thought there was no need to inflate the file and set it to 44100 and 160kb/s.

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on February 19, 2019, 05:25:52 AM
Anyway, nice job mate, you synchronized the helmet-cam and TV shots well 8)

Hehe, I think I need to explain what I did to get this result. Actually, I believe it wasn't just "well" but next to perfect (I really do not want to sound arrogant but technical, please excuse me) and I'll explain what I mean, it's because of how I did it:

There are two recordings of the same race. One I recorded live, the helmet cam, which got the time stamp top right and that is what you can use for orientation, like use a stop watch or something to see that there are no "time warps" going on while watching the vid. The other was a recording of the replay which takes exactly the same time for the race itself. The files differ in length because I cut the replay menu stuff off and the replay is shorter because it doesn't contain the leader board at the end.

I used the longer live cam on track 4 and the replay on track 3 (above 4). Now I had to do the sync, only once. To get that done, I had to be able to watch both videos at the same time in the editor. To get that done, I right-clicked on the respective clip, chose "Layout" and from there 1/4 Size - Top left and 1/4 top right for the other one. Now I could watch them at the same time.

I found the moment the race actually started (when the timer showed up in the helmet cam clip) and moved the replay clip just so that my "replay" bike started moving at the same point in time as the "helmet" bike. Now the clips were synced.

The final editing was both simple and tedious. I had to watch the race with those left and right vids a quarter of the normal size and that in a comparatively small preview screen of the program. However, when I saw something like a crash, I right-clicked on the video marker, that red line that shows where you are on the time line, and chose "Slice All, Keep Both Sides." I then chose the end of the supposed view change and did the same. As a result, I got essentially every time I did that to the left what would be the ready clip, to the right the remaining clips, and the centre contained two clips one of which I had to delete. Like, cut the helmet cam and keep the replay cam. Now I had to change the layout of those clips from 1/4 to full and the cut was done. Perfectly synced with each other. Essentially, the result was as if I was only changing camera views that were recording at the same time.

Took quite some time but the result was what I wanted it to be: like on telly when you watch a race and they change camera angles.. without stopping the race :anigrin:

fragger

I thought that would have been how you did it :)

Yeah, a few times I thought OpenShot had hung, but it was just catching up. But I did have a couple of CTDs. I think maybe if you give it too much to do too quickly it gets annoyed and goes home to sulk.

This compilation business is straightforward enough to do, but it's time-consuming. I made a longer FO4 one but I won't be doing a huge amount of it, I don't think. It takes up time that I would rather be spending in-game :anigrin:

Art Blade

indeed.. editing alone takes time, collecting stuff to edit only adds to that.. I much rather upload raw footage. :)

Dweller_Benthos

I think it turned out great, the cuts are seamless and right on cue with the action, you may have a future in video editing, young man!

But knocking everyone else off the course, to get ahead and win? Questionable sportsmanship!  :D :laughsm: :anigrin: :gnehe: ;D (j/k there if you didn't get that, heh)

But I may check out OpenShot, it seems it's capable editing software, and would be better than uploading a video in two parts like I have been doing.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

It's pretty easy to use, but looking at a few tutorials is recommended. This is the one I watched to find out how to cut and composite bits of different videos into one. It's from the guy who actually made the software, and he explains it pretty well.

Art Blade

I was debating with myself whether or not to ask you about that tutorial vid, now you've heard me without me saying anything. :anigrin: Cheers.

Dweller, thank you :) And I learned that, "get out of my way or I make you," from my fellow team mates :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger, nice tutorial. It would never have occurred to me to drag around in those fields like "start" to change anything. I did see them and typed in numbers but I didn't get what I wanted like that. Also nice to be able to chop up a vid in the file window into several clips.

When I started with YouTube in July last year, it was likely when I got that program. I did check for tutorials but they weren't from the creator himself, so, uhm, more or less not really worth watching. However, I got the basics down by trial and error and some of those tutorials I found at least helped me with a few things. This one here is definitely much better. Short, and to the point.

Thanks for finding and sharing, mate O0

Tags:
🡱 🡳