Oh, Ubisoft! Toying around with game files let’s you play New Dawn early

Started by LowPolyOWG, February 12, 2019, 01:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

from r/farcry

How the *bleep* can you screw up so badly?  :laughsm: Great idea to make your DLC-game use the same executable/file system as your main game :anigrin:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Yep. Well, I haven't bought it so, I can't exploit this loophole. Still funny. :anigrin: Some modders have started to datamine New dawn and making loading screens load in FC5 etc

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Yes it is :D Now, I tried to something like that with FC3 and FC2. Both resulted in a crash, as 3 was a major overhaul of the engine. However, one can do this with FC4/Primal, as both maps are near identical.

Art Blade

the ubification: recycle old *bleep* and sell it as something new.

LowPolyOWG

"...the Ubification process produces: Digital junkfood, and it's just fine. It's just fine"

nex

Quote from: Art Blade on February 13, 2019, 04:58:26 AM
the ubification: recycle old *bleep* and sell it as something new.
Isn't it a case of using the platform of one game to start another Art?
Adding of course, they improve on said platform to create a better one
for the next game?
Almost like using it as a template....
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

Nex, I haven't seen it that way yet. I think you're right.

I only can't resist bashing UBI*bleep* for the *bleep* I had to live through which they created, but truth be told, the games were good except those which made me run into nasty bugs, and their "support" I had to contact is what really, really angered me. It ruined the reputation of the whole company for me.

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: nex on February 13, 2019, 06:25:23 AM
Adding of course, they improve on said platform to create a better one
for the next game?
Almost like using it as a template....

True, but no other publisher reycle everything across open world games as Ubisoft does :anigrin: You see, Ghost Recon Wildlands have the following: A huge open map, with dozens of collectibles/a simple skill tree that rewards the player/enemies in small outposts you can clear convoys to tacle on for supplies etc. Have we seen this before? Oh yes, Far Cry 3/4/Assassin's Creed Greed, The Division and more recently, Far Cry New Dawn. There you go, this is what a triple-ayy Ubiquitious Software open world game is. A solid blueprint of a well thought game design that hooks a player. I find Far Cry games fun and I never thought about that Ubisoft were so copy-pasty about stuff. Until I came across a certain video coining the term "Ubification" and truly showing how long it have been going :gnehe:

Can you have a great time with an Ubified product? Absolutely yes. I replayed FC3 a lot. Well, FC4 burned me out and I never really bothered to replay it. Until, a mod came out. It was literally an Ubified FC3 and definitely was a copy-paste. Wildlands felt like a FC2 type of game (it even have the Jackal tapes, but with better textures). Still recycled anything else we have seen in other Ubisoft games. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely. Was it anything special? Well, for an Ubisoft game, bullet drop/actual companions being with you all time felt fresh. Still, had to do the typified gameplay loop.

Dweller_Benthos

I forgot about this, been busy with Astroneer. I'll give it a look and see about getting it, sure, it's essentially a reskin of FC5 but I had fun in that game for the most part and I think this will just be more of the same. Nothing ground breaking, nothing really new and creative, just more of the same comfort food as it were.

But you'd think they would at least have the main exe do a parity check or something to ensure it's running the assets it's meant to be running.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

nex

I'm playing the game from the time it was released, I play the main campaign
and lately ventured into Ghost Mode, which is the same as the main campaign
except for a few restrictions.
In the main campaign my preferential armament is maxed out,
have all the collectibles, I'm on Tier One for some time now and I'm
playing it for longer than all the FarCry's combined.

nex

The main reason for liking the game so much D_B,
I never liked games where all you do is just shoot to kill or be killed
the games I do play I never play it on extreme difficulty.
This game on the other hand I've been playing it on extreme difficulty
for some time, the game starts on Arcade mode, then Regular, Advanced and finally Extreme.
The difficulty level slowly increases in such a way you hardly notice it, You can change the
difficulty level at any time.
By the time I reached Extreme I was used to it I just left it there.

LowPolyOWG

Well, giving you plenty of things to do, is a staple of Ubisoft's formula. I can see you enjoying it, along with PZ. He likes the formula, as it's easy to remember and get into  :)

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳