The movie Arrival

Started by mandru, February 14, 2019, 09:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Yeah, on demand is network streaming, which I can't do due to slow connection reasons. I get the physical DVDs which is how I watched it, but because you seem to have it, apparently Netflix has it in both main plans. As you mentioned, BinnZ might not have it available due to location.

BinnZ

It must be a location thing then. I checked again but it only comes up with 'titles similar as' The Arrival. It also shows a Arrival 2, but evenly unavailable 😕

What I meant with 'on demand' is actually a streaming service of my internet provider. Usually they have a *bleep* catalogue, and many good titles they offer are paid. However, the whole on demand streaming service is free. They have a lot of HBO stuff but tbh I never watch it.
Sometimes when I feel like a movie I check Netflix. More chance of finding something interesting
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

I'll see if I can get it on BR ;)

fragger

Wonder why the catalogue would be different between countries? Maybe it's a film company distribution thing.

BinnZ

Well, it is quite logical that the catalogue changes, we Dutch can for example watch a lot of Dutch content and quite some stuff in Italian, French, German, Swedish etc that's probably not quite popular in the States.
But why not a film like Arrival here? Maybe indeed the companies, maybe local laws that favor retailers during the first 12 months after release...
"No hay luz"

mandru

I was excited to hear of the possibility of a sequel for Arrival (2016) but when I look up Arrival 2 (1998) it's not what I'd hoped for.

The aliens in Arrival 2 are not benevolent and have backwards bending knees.  They are trying to take over the Earth instead.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Do you have the dates right there? Or are the two films not related at all? And if so, what was the one from 1998 the sequel to?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

I pulled the dates directly from IMDb for the two titles.  The aliens with backwards bending knees was a bit of a give away that the films were unrelated.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

OK, yeah, that's a sequel to a 1996 film called "The Arrival", a completely different film from the one from 2016, which dropped the "The" from the name, which was enough to not get it in legal trouble with the one from 1996 I guess? But those earlier films look like they are pretty bad, maybe the first one isn't completely terrible, and has some well known stars and was written / directed by David Twohy who did "Pitch Black" which is a really good movie and the start of the Riddick character played by Vin Diesel. But "Arrival 2" looks really bad, hehe.
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

One of the few films I bought the DVD of back then. I rarely do that and only have a handful of films on disc.
D_B

Art Blade

I'm steadily homing in on about a thousandfold of your amount. Can't be far from it :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, you posted a pic of your media library once, I was humbled.
D_B

Art Blade

I just love to actually possess a physical copy.. and started collecting over two decades ago.

Art Blade

It just so happened that I rearranged my vid collection on the shelves and that made me think about counting them, at least roughly. Turns out that I am far from a thousandfold of your handful. I've come quite close to "only" 1,800 but over the years without counting, I was probably mentally adding and adding scores to that without actually buying as many new discs as I used to.. mostly because by now I've got the films I wanted to own and they're not producing an awful lot of new films that I want. Well, just looking at the wall with all those jewel cases from floor to ceiling, it sure looks like a lot :) But alright, roughly 1,800 isn't exactly a few, either. :gnehe:

So I have to correct myself and can now at least say with certainty that I've got only about 360 times as many as you've got, if you've got only a handful. :anigrin:

Tags:
🡱 🡳