All aboard, I need help with my new RIG!

Started by BinnZ, February 20, 2019, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

BinnZ

Interesting developments gents! I swapped the cards again last Saturday. Until then no issues with the old card. On Sunday it was all fine, and on Monday I had my first freezes again. I let the hardware store know about it, and they decided that this must be a sure sign that there's got to be something wrong with the Video card. They asked me to turn it in so that they can claim replacement by the factory :)
Sounds great! I am happy that they are so confident in my testing and are willing to turn it in. Not sure though what the factory (Asus) wil do with the request. Fingers crossed. Although I am tempted to say they will replace it anyway. My hardware store is a good customer.

Thanks for motivating me to swap the video cards... I don't know if I would've done it so soon without your reasoning O0 :)
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Good to hear! I asked the PCMR Discord about GPU advice. MSI/EVGA are far more reputable than Asus. GTX 1080s isn't available anymore, so either go for a RTX card if you can. How much did you pay for the 1080? Figured it out from an older post. Looking at Snogard, a RTX 2080 retails for like ~800€. The little brother RTX 2070 is around €200-€300 cheaper. 1660Ti is also a great card, if don't need ray tracing. Very few games utlize it and the games utilizing it runs llike *bleep* or barely improve the graphics at all.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

BinnZ

Well G, if I had all those options I would definitely go for an MSI RTX2080. But I am afraid I will have to wait what Asus thinks about that. They will be asked to replace it. Might be 'something they still have in stock', might be something comparable from their stables, might be a refund of some sort. In the last case I wonder if they will give me such a high refund... the card isn't new, and the prices have dropped tremendously. We'll have to see. But thanks for the advice. If I have any choice in the matter, and additional payment is required, I might go for what I mentioned.  :)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

*doorbell rings*
Binn opens door
Parcel Service delivers packet from ASUS
Binn opens packet
and grabs a green wool sock with red ribbons and a few LED blinking
reads sticky note: "Dear Binn, pin that to the chimney and ask Santa for something nice. Best regards"

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

nex

If component warranty is the same there as here, then that card should have
a 24 month warranty BinnZ.
Manufacturers would replace it with a card nearest to the equivalent but
slightly weaker than your card's specs.
If that's the case then hopefully the dealer will give you the option of taking
a better card and pay in the difference, supplier's here usually do that.
Hope for the best   O0
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: BinnZ on March 05, 2019, 02:16:18 PM
Well G, if I had all those options I would definitely go for an MSI RTX2080. They will be asked to replace it. Might be 'something they still have in stock', might be something comparable from their stables, might be a refund of some sort. In the last case I wonder if they will give me such a high refund...

Good luck  :gnehe:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

BinnZ

No luck at all folks, I just had a couple of freezes while working with my old gpu, so it can't be the gpu. The worse thing is, I just turned the card in. I sent them an email with my resent discovery. I really don't know what to do now... :undecided-new:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

damn.

All you can do now is replace new with old parts until the freezes stop.. like, find out which part of the hardware is causing it.

Then again.. I just remembered something that had happened to me. It may be the sound card..

These things can actually cause the weirdest problems you'd never think possible. Even on-board sound cards. They still need a driver. If I were you I'd find out what card exactly you got and get the proper driver from the manufacturer, not the generic windows driver. Who knows.. it might w0#k O0

nex

Have you tried running your pc in safe mode BinnZ?
When it runs in safe mode and still freezes then it could be a problem
with Windows, if you don't experience problems in safe mode
then you know it's a card, then it's trial and error finding the culprit.
Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

Nex, I had the issue before I did a complete new instalment of Windows and that didn't fix it. So I really think it's not Windows related... correct me if I'm wrong. The new installation was on a new disc, which I hadn't used before, even.

And I checked what happened when installing the newest HD Realtek Audio drivers, released today (!) by MSI. The freezes were still there. So nope, not a driver issue I guess
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

I also checked what happens when I listen to streamed audio, to see whether it is ethernet adapter related, but the stream goes on during a 30 seconds freeze.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

Let's try to look at it as if we had absolutely no idea what thousand things there are that might be causing it. Just literally by the looks of it.

Your "screen" freezes while everything else keeps working.

Maybe it's the monitor itself.

If it's not the monitor and we believe it's not the GPU, what does "feed" the GPU?

The socket the GPU is sticking in, meaning the motherboard.

Or a cable from the GPU to the monitor.

Maybe it's a defective socket for the GPU on the motherboard or it's something on the motherboard as a whole.

The simplest thing would be changing the cable from GPU to monitor, see if that helps.

Else, replace the mobo.

Tags:
🡱 🡳