All aboard, I need help with my new RIG!

Started by BinnZ, February 20, 2019, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nex

A few posts back I suggested to BinnZ to try another monitor.
Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

I was away for a run and during my running I had the same thought.... imagine it's the cable between my monitor and my GPU. I thought that because I realised that apparently on several occasions the freezes occurred after swapping cables at the back panel. To be precise, the first time I Turned my rig in to have it tested at the hardware vendor AND when I swapped the GPU.
I wanted to move the cable on various positions to see if I could provoke the freezes with it. Well, no. I can't. Just checked. The only sensible part of the HDMI connection is where it enters my monitor. If I move the plug (push it farther in) I see the entire screen go dark for a second, then it comes back to life. So that is apparently the effect when the line is interrupted shortly.
I tried moving the case a bit, see if that provokes it. Nope.

Then there two other reasons why I find it unlikely the problem is caused by the monitor or its connection cable. They first is this: When I played GTA Online and the longer freezes occurred (I was sourcing a car) I noticed that the freeze caused my connection to the session to be lost. I know that happened because my car got on fire due to the freeze. It happened twice, so can't be coincidence.
And second; when I had my audio routed through my speakers instead of my headphones, the sound would also freeze, or to be precise it would loop a split second, causing a horrible buzzing sound. Until the freeze was over.

Before I went running I tested my internet connection during freezes. It keeps receiving packages. I wanted to test it in streaming audio because what I had been watching before were buffered youtube videos. So I chose to listen to internet radio broadcast. IT wasn't interrupted. So apparently only the outgoing stream is being interrupted, not the ingoing stream.
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

Quote from: nex on March 06, 2019, 12:55:32 PM

If you think that a faulty monitor can provoke audio blocking and/or freezing that is connected through the small tulip plugs AND can cause outgoing internet to get blocked, you might have a point Nex. What you think, is that possible?
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Have you tried a new PSU? Try hook your rig to a TV. Not really the same as a monitor, but should w0#k. I suspect the PSU is taking it's last breath, err, charges, speaking with the community at Discord.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

BinnZ

YES GKID, I HAVE TRIED A NEW PSU! I AM USING ONE SINCE A WEEK OR TWO AFTER THE PROBLEM OCCURrED!

I described that already. I don't mean to be rude but it doesn't help if you don't read up on what I did and tested already...
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

Quote from: nex on March 06, 2019, 12:55:32 PM

it was a rhetorical question, not a suggestion. I know it's not the monitor.

What I did was asking simple questions: what do we see? A monitor. What puts the pics on it? A GPU. If it's not the monitor and not the GPU, WHAT ELSE was the real question. Answer: Either a cable or the motherboard because: we know all the rest isn't causing it. Now we know it's not the cable either.

So my bet is on the mobo.

nex

One or two thoughts BinnZ.
Sometime ago after installing Windows, Office and most of my other equipment
on a new disk the machine started giving problems.
And like you, I tried everything and nothing fixed my problem, after three full
days struggling I decided to format the new HDD and start all over, that fixed the issue,
and till today I don't know what caused it.
At this stage no one knows what's wrong and everyone has their own ideas of what to do.
By running the machine in Safe Mode you will be able to eliminate a lot of guess w0#k and
narrow it down to maybe one or two components, try it, you have nothing to loose.

What made me think of the monitor, when the tech's had the machine it didn't freeze
and as soon as you have it back it starts with it's nonsense.
But then again, I can be totally wrong.
Not being able to do the testing in person makes it very difficult
to try and figure out what's causing the freeze

LowPolyOWG

Old Windows/program settings may have caused conflicts with your reinstalls, Nex

Troubleshooting a motherboard

nex

Quote from: nex on March 06, 2019, 04:22:31 PM
One or two thoughts BinnZ.
Sometime ago after installing Windows, Office and most of my other equipment
on a new disk the machine started giving problems.
How do you explain "OLD WINDOWS/PROGRAM SETTINGS" on a new disk GKID??
I have not once heard of something like that during the past 25+ years I've
been working on Computers.

LowPolyOWG

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What the heck is going on with my head? :main_knockout:

BinnZ

Don't worry guys, I think I was a bit short fused yesterday. It annoyed me having to explain multiple times why I was sure some possible causes couldn't be the case here, due to the testing and fine tuning the error I already had done.
Anyway, I appreciate all the help you can give me.

I'm not really fond of 'save mode' because you have to manually enable a lot of stuff you normally use to only be able to do basic things on the pc. And since the problem can sometimes be gone for a week until it occurs again, I don't want to go through all the trouble testing like that. Plus, I don't know what I exclude when operating in save mode. So imagine it is working fine in save mode, what could cause it? It should be caused by one of the bazillion processed running standard on normal mode, and I would have to test enabling them one by one in save mode to see when the problem will occur again. That would take very long testing schedules, and I'm not that much of a tech guy to fully understand all those processes, what is necessary and what may cause issues or not.

I think it will be the last thing I do. Especially because I have a fresh Windows 10 instalment with only the basic drivers and utilities running, things that should, under normal circumstances, should not cause errors like this with new, high end hardware.

What I did do today was something I discussed with the tech guy from the hardware store. Basically the last things I haven't done yet, apart from swapping monitors and using save mode.
I installed the latest BIOS version and I disabled the front panel audio connectors. The latter were picking up all weird noises, some sort of distortion, caused and influenced by anything that was happening on the screen.
I also swapped GPU again, since it is now officially scratched off the list of possible causes.

I agreed with the tech guy that when this isn't the solution to the problem, I can turn in the entire system and they will swap the motherboard to see if that helps. They won't charge me for it, of course.
At least I'm on to something again :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: BinnZ on March 07, 2019, 11:20:22 AM
Don't worry guys, I think I was a bit short fused yesterday. It annoyed me having to explain multiple times why I was sure some possible causes couldn't be the case here, due to the testing and fine tuning the error I already had done.

Don't worry :)

nex

Safe Mode can be laborious sometimes BinnZ, let's hope those tech guys can sort it for you

Tags:
🡱 🡳