Question for you tech guys

Started by PZ, February 24, 2019, 08:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

What do you think is the best reasonable cost NAS? I usually like Western Digital products, but was looking at the PR2100, and there appear to be less than stellar reviews.

nex

It all depends on the need PZ.

Have a look at this site, it might give you an idea
https://www.techradar.com/news/the-10-best-nas-devices-reviewed

Hope you don't mind all the ads
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

interesting read, thanks for that, nex :)

Ads? Seen none. Thanks to uBlock Origin and NoScript.

nex

At the moment It's the best advice I can give PZ, Art.
One can read up on nas devices till it comes out of your ears,
and and it won't do any good, unless you test them all.
These guys at techradar put these things to the test and they give their
honest opinion, from there it's up to the person to decide.
Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

When I was working, I ran a server with Raid5 hardware (3 out of 5 drive bays filled). I like the idea of hot-swapping drives and of course the redundancy. However, I don't think that justifies the high cost of those systems. I'm thinking of Raid1 in a system with only two drives to keep the cost down since it is only my own home data I wish to protect. These kinds appear to be about half the cost or less.

Thanks for the link nex, it will make for good reading and thought.

BinnZ

I don't know much about NAS either, except that it's interesting devices. I would also go for a RAID1 config, since it's enough to keep your precious safe. And HDD's go up to 4 Gb these days, so 2 of those would be a LOT of secure data.
There are NAS that make your data available wherever you are through constant connection. Nice if you have broadband internet, but if it's just a home system that needs to be available within your private network you might be able to spare some costs over these features ;)

Anyway, I think Nex's site is your best bet O0
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳