Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

lol mandru (radish)  :thumbsup:

well done, fragger, 100k sure is quite an achievement for a non-cheating player O0

mandru

In game scavenging has become an addiction for me.  :-[

I'm constantly finding my carry inventory filled with a lot of stuff I don't even need.  I can't help myself.  ::)

I have to run around to all my settlements until I find the one with a high enough workshop building level so I can scrap out all the things I've loaded myself up with.  Invariably I need to hit at least 5 or 6 settlements to find one that has even a small amount on the gauge that I can toss scavenged items towards.

This reoccurring (and time consuming) theme in my game play style has me thinking.  If I could make a wish and have one thing added to FO4 it would be to make it possible to go into the pipboy under Data>Workshops and be able to view a percentage representation (0-100%) of fullness for all of the settlements no matter where I am on the map.

With that feature added I could go directly to the settlement that can best receive the loot each time I need to unload.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

hmm. I'm not sure why you don't use just one settlement of which you can manipulate the workbench settings so it is essentially set to an unlimited building meter. That way you could keep all those other settlements "vanilla" that you don't wish to become overloaded and by that possibly cause a glitch. Also, I'm not sure why you use the workbench and, if I understand it correctly, scrap your loot there when you don't really have to. As in, godmode allows you to build freely, no need for the workbench. You only need certain materials for modding stuff at the various benches, probably your armour and weapons, and if you want to create drugs and that kind of stuff. Even so, I know you got batch files I helped you with, so that would load up your workbenches with a massive amount of materials which means, no need to collect stuff to scrap. If it's just a hobby or an addiction (I know that as well, hehe) then you should indeed focus on just one settlement that you'd essentially turn into a scrapyard. :)

I never cared about possible glitches and my first character's settlements are all set to (nearly) unlimited plus I built a lot of stuff especially in Sanctuary that would certainly have exceeded the game's original setting. I never ran into problems. I did however notice a short stutter when running into Sanctuary because the game had to load a ton of stuff :anigrin: I'm quite certain that it won't happen if you don't build like a madman. if it's only the excessive loot you want to store, that has been possible already without changing the settings albeit you had to stash away your stuff in "storage units" like crates, lockers, mannequins and so on, rather than loading your workbench to the brim with scrapped stuff. And be advised, scrapping stuff that you've dropped and picked up so the meter goes down is still an exploit, it wasn't meant to be kept at bay like that. You can just as well set the limits or more like, remove the limits using those console commands. Same effect, only less hassle.  ;)

T.V.

Quote from: Art Blade on April 27, 2018, 09:12:30 PM
You can just as well set the limits or more like, remove the limits using those console commands. Same effect, only less hassle.  ;)
True, when they w0#k.
I found, with my first character, that the commands didn't w0#k at the most northern settlement (Outpost Zimonja), and the most southern settlement (Murkwater construction site)...
Haven't checked with my current character, though.

Edit:
Just checked Murkwater construction site and Outpost Zimonja, and all the getav (348, 349, 34a and 34b) returns a 0.00, witch means the setav won't w0#k.
So here one have to resort to the exploit, if one wants to build beyond the limit.

Art Blade

interesting. And strange. Why on earth can one lift the limits in one place but cannot in another? That doesn't really make sense to me but well, we'll have to live with what we've got. At least the more important ones (most of all, Sanctuary) can be modified.

Oh and T.V., by the way, you need to watch your reputation on this forum. You seem to be actively losing the "lurker" status  :gnehe:

fragger

That's really odd about the console commands for negating the build limit not working in those particular settlements :huh-new: I haven't used the console for that purpose this time around, and in fact, since almost all of my scrapping takes place at Sanctuary, that settlement still has a completely empty size gauge despite looking like a small city :gnehe: I do notice a frame-rate drop in some parts of the settlement though, but it's very minor and is to be expected considering all the stuff I've built there.

mandru, I can relate to the scavenging, I'm the same :gnehe: Not just junk, but good armour and weapons. I now have about 50 full sets of Combat Armor and a dozen of Heavy Combat Armor stashed away, and lockers full of Laser and Plasma weapons that I've looted. The plan was to "standardize" the weapons and equip all the settlers with them (plus the armour), which I was gradually getting around to, but the story part of the game is over now and most of my settlers still have their Pipe weapons and whatever clothes they came with. There is so much else to do in the game that equipping the settlers got permanently shoved onto the back-burner ::) Best laid plans...

In the end I did fully equip all the Castle people with fully-weaved Military Fatigues, Combat Armor and high-end Laser Rifles, which worked a treat when the Institute attacked late in the game. Compared to my first playthrough, my guys wiped the floor with the Institute forces this time around. Not one of my settlers ended up on their bums, and it was all over in quite short order amid an impressive display of laser pyrotechnics :gnehe: So that strategy paid off.

As for the junk... Since I don't cheat, I do go through a good deal of what I scavenge. Ballistic Fiber and Fiber Optics are the hardest materials to come by in quantities, so in the former case, I snap up all the Military-Grade Duct Tape and Military Ammo Bags that I can find/buy, and in the latter case, every Biometric Scanner and Microscope. Shipments of these materials help. KL-E-O in Goodneighbor, Proctor Teagan onboard the Prydwen, the travelling armour-salesman Lucas Miller and occasionally Alexis Combes in Vault 81 are the only vendors who ever sell shipments of Ballistic Fiber. Teagan and Combes are the only vendors who sell Fiber Optic shipments, but only occasionally. Shipments are expensive, so in the early-to-mid stages of the game I loot as many weapons and armour pieces from dead guys as I can to barter with. Power Armor from dead guys thus equipped is good to trade with once it's been blasted off its frame so that it weighs nothing - its condition doesn't affect its sale price and you can carry a bunch of it for free. Mods for weapons, armour and robots are good for selling - you can sell them but still use them, and the next time you use them, you'll have them to sell all over again. You don't lose them by selling them.

Thank heavens for shipments, I'd be lost without those, especially Concrete. It's amazing how much of that you go through - if you build in concrete, that is - and since most settlement sites have little or no inherent scrappable concrete, it all has to be "brought in". And since it's heavy stuff, shipments are the only practical way to transfer large quantities of it (1 unit of Concrete weighs 3 pounds, and every plain slab requires 8 Concrete, so carrying enough Concrete for even a mere six slabs will use up 144 of your carry weight - whereas a shipment for 100 or 200 worth of Concrete is a slip of paper that weighs nothing). I've been through an absolute boatload of Concrete shipments during the course of the game, a fair number of Steel ones, and a few of Copper, Ceramic, Rubber, Wood, and some others.

Art Blade

I wouldn't have imagined the amount of w0#k behind constructing your stuff, fragger. That sure sucks up quite a bit of gaming time, only to get the materials. I suppose those trade lines are important for you as in saving shoe soles and preventing back aches :gnehe: What about dismantling stuff you built, do you get even?

fragger

Yeah, there's a fair bit of futzing around for materials and resources early in the piece, but I enjoy that. There's not many weapons to find though until you venture a good ways afield, but that puts you in danger the further you get from the Sanctuary region since you'll probably only have the 10mm Pistol from inside the Vault, and maybe a Pipe gun or two and a double-barrel shottie. You also have next to no Perks and at best some crappy looted Raider armour for protection, so you take damage really easily. Care must be taken, as well as not being too proud to run from a fight if things are stacked against you :gnehe:

When it comes to unbuilding what you've built, as a general rule you get roughly a quarter of the resources back when you dismantle something. What you get back depends on what the thing cost. A few examples: a plain concrete wall slab costs 8 Concrete to build and scrapping it will return 2 Concrete, so you get 1/4 of the resources back. A concrete wall slab with a door opening in it costs 6 Concrete, and scrapping that will return just 1 Concrete, so that's only a 1/6 return. A concrete wall slab with a barred window in it costs 6 Concrete and 4 Steel, and scrapping that will return 1 Concrete and 2 Steel (1/6 and 1/2 of the resources respectively, or roughly 1/3 of the total resources). So scrapping will generally return, on average, approximately 1/4 of the resource costs.

I started yet another playthrough, and like last time, I'm travelling to the locations with the major vendors early in the game, such as Diamond City, Bunker Hill and Goodneighbor (with the attendant dangers outlined above, which I try to avoid for a while) so that I can wheel and deal for shipments (mostly Concrete ones) and useful junk early in the piece, as well as establishing a few handy fast-travel points. Then I can get cracking on my initial settlement infrastructure. Sanctuary is still the best choice for a main base of ops I think as there's tons there to scrap for materials right off the bat, especially Wood and Steel - plus, Carla will soon begin turning up to Sanctuary to trade, and she is another good shipments source (I think you need to either visit Drumlin Diner or complete the "Sanctuary" quests for Sturges to trigger Carla's visits. Both in this game and the last one, Carla starting turning up in Sanctuary after I'd been to Drumlin Diner, before I'd met the Concord mob). You also get those five nice, big, flat, pre-existing housing slabs to build on once you've scrapped the debris off them, and nine still-standing houses to stick stuff in like beds for Settlers. It's in a pretty good defensive position too.

Art Blade

that makes sense. Plus, maybe you're like me, I like the looks of Sanctuary a lot. :)

fragger

Hey, remember that odd hatch in the ground just north of Sunshine Trading Co-op that showed up in some games but not others - the one you could "detonate", and which would blow up to reveal nothing but bare ground? Well, I came across another one. This one was just east of Tenpines, only this time there was a Scavenger mucking around with it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

When Piper and I came across him, he was crouching over the hatch and muttering for a moment, then he retreated from it to a distance and crouched down. Looking at the hatch, it had the "Detonate" command on it, like the one near Sunshine, and since the Scav had retreated a bit and appeared to be bracing himself for something, I thought I'd better do the same. Just in the nick of time, because he then blew up the hatch big time.

Then all three of us approached the hatch which, unlike the weird one near Sunshine, was still there, only the doors were now slightly ajar. The Scav said something like, "Stay away from my hatch". So of course I ignored him and interacted with the hatch doors, which opened. The game faded out as it does when it loads an internal area, and a couple of seconds later when it faded back in I found myself inside a small underground bunker with a stash of goodies in it, which I naturally helped myself to. When I emerged from the hatch, the Scav called me an *bleep* and opened up on me for pinching his scavenge, so I had to plug him.

I guess this was what was supposed to happen with that other mystery hatch near Sunshine, except there was never a Scavenger to blow it open. You had to do it yourself, and when you did it would just disappear altogether and leave ordinary ground behind. Oddly enough, in my last game, that particular hatch never showed up at all. I haven't been over that way yet to check this time around, but I suspect it won't be there this time either.

Art Blade

that's a cool story, fragger :thumbsup: I never heard anything like it before. And despite having found a hatch myself once, it just wasn't the same. Well done O0

mandru

I've seen in a video (and actually encountered in game) that there was a fairly recent FO4 update that places at various map locations a computer terminal, small generator, and eyebot generating manufacturing unit that acts as a (for lack of better words) "Find it Station".

In my current game there is one of these Find it Stations a short distance West or slightly NW of Kingsport Lighthouse.  It's near an abandoned camp site.

With this terminal you are able to make a single selection from a menu of various building materials or ammo types that you want located.  Once you've done that it spits out an eyebot that leads you off on a merry chase directly through various mobs of hostile enemies of course.  It will eventually lead you if you've managed to protect the eyebot and defend yourself to the item you've selected.

I've not used this utility because the video amounted to a long game of defend yourself/keep track the eyebot in order to find things that I already know where to find things at regularly replenishing respawn points.

Now if I were looking for steel and electronic components I might consider engaging in an operation where I use the terminal to summon eyebots and shoot them as soon as they spawn to scavenge their wreckage.  :evil2:

- mandru

PZ

:D :thumbsup: great story fragger!

Art Blade

mandru, you can even build it at home. (thanks to the robots dlc)

mandru

Oh really?  :-[

I hadn't noticed that was an option even after using my settlements with named settlers as hubs to create a small army of robot provisioners linking the rest of my settlements.

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳