Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.V.

Quote from: Art Blade on January 05, 2019, 02:58:32 PM
I think your example with those slot machines to get up happiness to 100% is proof that nothing like beds, lights and all that matters. :thumbsup:

The beds does matter in ordinary settlements, but in Graygarden there is just Mister Handy robots (if You do not put up recruitment beacons,  or send someone else there), and they do not care about the beds.  :)

The Mister Handy robots do assign them self to the beds, though, if present.
The one bed I have in Graygarden, for the opportunity to give myself the "well rested" perk, is having the green person symbol for being occupied (but here it does not give any happiness increase.)

Art Blade

see, that was important info. Cheers :thumbsup: :anigrin:

fragger

I was poking around Cutler's Bend when I came across a red crate in the cabin of one of the wrecked boats. Inside the crate was, among other things, a Haptic Drive, which is one of the pieces of tech that Scribe Haylen sends you out to look for. Only - I wasn't on a mission for her. I was just wandering about.

So I grabbed the Haptic Drive out of the crate, whereupon the game paused as it showed the Drive and played the "object found" (for want of a better description) sound effect, as happens when you find a Haylen tech object. I then went to Cambridge Police Station, saw Haylen and got a mission from her, which turned out to be: "Recover the Haptic Drive from Cutler's Bend".

Cool. I took a few steps away from her, turned, walked back and handed her the tech. Mission completed. Easiest 99 caps I've ever earned :gnehe:

I never realized you could find tech for Haylen before she asked you to find it... I guess I was just in the right place at the right time. Considering the huge number of crates scattered around the Commonwealth, I wonder what my odds were of just happening to open the one which contained the tech item target for Haylen's next quest :huh-new:

Art Blade

hehe, nice one :anigrin:

However, I think it more likely that the game took notice of your finding and matched the next quest.

BinnZ

More than half a year after I bought the game on Steam, I'm actually getting properly addicted to this game. I'm rank 24 now and have the fort. I am constructing all sorts of contributes to the stronghold but have to rank up a bit more to be able to build my own power armour workbench. Now I constantly have to travel to Sanctuary if I want to adjust or repair it, which is quite annoying.. having to carry all the junk with me that I need for the modding... I just figured to have the fort as my main base, so I transported all the collected junk, armour, weapons and the rest from Sanctuary to the Fort. However, I just got the 'Local Leader' perk (rank 1) so I should be able establish a connection between my workbenches somehow. That sounds perfect. One more rank of that perk and I make my power armour working bench. I also want to add more to my science and armoury perks, since I want to get some mods for my sniper rifle and the power armour.
I figured I want to upgrade my sniper rifle to handle .50 ammo. Could be a blast :gnehe:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

mate, here's a +1 :thumbsup: for you.. because of everything that led to what you're doing. :gnehe:

fragger

Good on you, BinnZ :thumbsup:

I like the Castle, and the way that it's already wired up for power - all you need to do is build a generator and hook it up. It makes a good alternate base of operations :bigsmile:

BinnZ

Well, at the moment it's my main base of operations 😃
I put a lot of effort into getting my power armor workstation there and have all important workbenches there now. And the generals office is my personal room 🤪
I put some decorations in it, like a jukebox and a massive trophy from the mirelurk queen. And my personal armory in several containers. I also bought a bunch of shops to keep the people happy. It's quite busy now, with 15 inhabitants. And I also found a rifle with unlimited ammo capacity. I made it a .50 cal. Now I need to collect adhesive again, and fiber optics to get that super scope with targeting functions.
Too bad I only have 130 .50 rounds 🤨
Are these shops worth the investment? They cost me a fortune 🤪
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

The only problem with the castle is the annoying fiddling music all the time from that radio 🤨 "stay safe out there folks!"
"No hay luz"

fragger

I guess whether shops are useful or not depends on whether you use cheat codes. If you play in God mode for example, you'll always have infinite building materials available in Settlements and you'll never need to buy ammo (ammo availability is also determined by difficulty level). Having infinite building materials means you never run out of resources for repairing things like Power Armor (I don't know if PA even takes damage in God mode) so you never really need to buy anything except for unique weapons and a few other things.

I never use God mode, preferring to live dangerously :gnehe: - and because I like to wheel-and-deal for what I need (you can sell anything in barter - ammo, food, drugs, clothing, weapons, armor, even excess building materials). Concrete Shipments especially are invaluable as it's the only way you can lug large amounts of it around - otherwise, Concrete is heavy. Every single unit of Concrete in your inventory uses up 3 of your total carrying capacity (and since a single Concrete wall slab costs 8 Concrete, you can't carry enough raw Concrete to build very much of anything). A Shipment is just a piece of paper which weighs nothing, and comes in amounts of 100 and 200 for Concrete. So you could have five of the "200"-value Concrete Shipments in your inventory for a total of 1,000 worth of Concrete, but taking up zero weight in you inventory. 1,000 worth of raw Concrete would otherwise weigh 3,000 in your inventory. There is no way you can carry anything like that much.

I like to build in Concrete but there is usually almost none available in new Settlements, meaning that Shipments are the only way to go for me.

To redeem a Shipment, you can either drop it on the ground in a Settlement and "scrap" it, or keep it on your person and just start building. As soon as a single unit from the Shipment is used up in building, the rest of the Shipment automatically transfers itself into the Workbench.

Getting back to shops, I find them useful for generating extra Bottlecaps, which will accumulate in the settlement's Workbench over time. The "Trader" shop is also useful for buying junk which can then be scrapped for materials and components, and for buying the afore-mentioned Shipments. The other shops, like Weapons, Armor and Clothing, not so much. I only put those in a few of my larger Settlements, once again just to get more Caps accumulating in the Workbench and to provide jobs for a few Settlers. Otherwise, you can find enough weapons, ammo and armour and such while you're out and about in the world (or you can buy that stuff from permanent or travelling Traders), so you don't really need those shops for actually buying weapons and armour. I usually only ever have one or two Clothing shops in the entire game as they can be handy for buying clothing if you want to dress up Settlers in particular outfits (to help identify who in the Settlement does what job when they're not actually working, which I find handy if I want to switch them around between jobs for some reason).

The only shops I have in every Settlement are the Trader and the Bar ("Food and Drink"), for the above reasons but also because they generate Happiness and give a couple of my Settlers a job. Those two shops are the only ones which generate Happiness.

Regarding the music in the Castle, if you look at the equipment near where the radio guy sits, a prompt will appear saying "Speaker" and an option to turn it off. You can still hear Radio Freedom on your Pip-Boy (if you tune in to it) but won't have to put up with hearing it all over the Settlement all the time. It does get pretty monotonous after a while...

Art Blade

lol I didn't know about that "speaker" option, cheers :gnehe:

Quote from: fragger on January 10, 2019, 11:46:28 PMI don't know if PA even takes damage in God mode

It does take damage.

If not in god mode, it is worth mentioning that PA parts that you find and want to carry to a settlement for repairs or storage weigh quite a bit unless.. you shoot it BEFORE picking it up. Kind of do to it what enemies do to it when you're wearing PA: shoot it to strip it off the heavy armour. I believe you can shoot it down to essentially zero weight. You can then pick up PA and carry it home without losing (much or any of) your precious inventory capacity.

BinnZ

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll keep the shops, they might give me some caps after all and look fancy :)

Errm, about power armor... I have tons of parts, but lack a second 'suit'. I've seen screenies you guys posted of numerous PA's next to eachother. How can I optain a power armor suit?

Oh and I don't play god mode. Never do that. I play the game vanilla, currently at 'normal' difficulty. I might change that later on, maybe on a new playthrough. I can already see a number of things I'd do differently than the first time. Perk-wise and junk-wise that is :anigrin:
Thanks for the tip on the shipments. I considered them way too expensive and never got any of those shipments, but knowing this might actually change my mind on the longer run, when my caps stash is in better conditions ;)
"No hay luz"

fragger

I don't want to start overloading you with tips and stuff, BinnZ - I'll leave the joy of discovery to you :gnehe: But ask and ye shall be answered!

But here is just one :gnehe: - for extra Bottlecaps, I like to get the "Fortune Finder" Perk (in the Luck category). I usually only bother with Rank 1, but that lets me find Caps all over the place. Once you have that Perk, many "container" objects (like desks, crates, cabinets, lockers, etc - anything that can hold junk) will often yield a few Caps when opened. Even containers you build yourself in Settlements can sometimes produce a few Caps, if you don't interact with them for a few game days after you've built them (they'll only do it once though). It's a good Perk for getting extra money :thumbsup:

You did ask about PA suits, so I will address that (I presume by "suits" you mean the "frames" that the armor pieces attach to), there are a few Traders who sell blank frames:

Arturo, the weapons dealer in Diamond City.
KL-E-O, the arms-dealing robot in Goodneighbor.
Rowdy, the "Atom Cats" gang member, from the Cats' hangout in the Red Rocket Garage north of Quincy.

(I don't know if you've come across any of those places yet).

There is also a blank PA frame at the Revere Satellite Array (high up in one of the dishes). This frame is free for the taking. There are also a number of full and partially-filled suits scattered around the Commonwealth, usually at places like military checkpoints and old bases. Some are inside buildings, some are outside. Some might be locked inside security areas which will require a certain level of hacking/lock-picking skill to get into. Might be hard to believe now, but you'll eventually end up with plenty of them :gnehe:

Incidentally, PA and PA frames NEVER respawn. Once you take them from a particular location, that's it. PA frames are also one of the few things in the game that you cannot sell (you can sell the armor pieces, but not the frames).

Note that if you buy a blank PA frame, the frame will appear nearby once the sale is complete - and if you're already wearing PA, you won't be able to move the new frame without exiting your own and getting into it (also, the new frame does NOT come with a Fusion Core, so you'll have to supply one yourself). One of the suits will then have to stay behind - you can't wear two! However, if you have a human companion with you, you can order that companion to get into the new frame (interact with the companion, then "look" at the PA frame - a prompt should appear saying "Enter Power Armor"). The companion can then get into the frame and go with you. To get the companion back out of the frame, interact with them, select "Talk", and a dialog choice should appear saying "Exit Power Armor".

So if you go to buy a blank frame, DON'T wear PA to do so, or make sure you have a human companion with you to wear the new frame home. And make sure you have a spare Fusion Core to put in it :)

Art Blade

DAMNIT, fragger :D You just had to slip your post in before I could hit send, hadn't you :anigrin:

anyway, Regarding PA, here my version:

you need an empty PA-frame. I kept buying mine at Goodneighbor, specifically in the gun shop Kill or Be Killed.

"Empty power armor frames are rare to find in the Commonwealth, but can be purchased from several merchants. These are the base units on which all power armor types are mounted. They also have the secondary function of acting as a stand within power armor stations for the Sole Survivor to repair and upgrade power armor pieces."

fragger

Hey, you've done it to me enough times... :gnehe: My turn!

Tags:
🡱 🡳