Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

hmmmm .... I think I killed him, I'm pretty sure the rest of the family is still alive in my game and hanging out in their house, waiting to grow old and die. I'd have to go check lol
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Cheers for the info, mandru O0

That modified Gamma Gun, the "Zeta Gun", is always on the table in the lab at the beginning of "The Secret Of Cabot House", and you can go and get it before you leave the house to go with Jack to Parsons. If you kill Lorenzo, after about a game week Jack will give you a similar but more powerful unique Gamma Gun - "Lorenzo's Artifact Gun" (but of course you don't get the elixir refills). You have to wait about a game week after killing Lorenzo, then you get a message saying "Meet Jack Cabot", and when you do he gives you the "Lorenzo" weapon.

True, the Zeta Gun is not much chop, and I don't like the Gamma Guns anyway. My unique versions always go into a "museum".

According to the Wiki, the only time the family ages and dies is if you let Lorenzo out at Parsons, but then kill him later at Cabot House instead of letting him kill the family. Otherwise, if you kill Lorenzo at Parsons, the family remains "unaged" for the remainder of the game.

Art Blade

I must have played through various versions of that and reloaded in between or after, I know I came across those variants but I think my main playthrough had the family intact so I got that stupid gun and I may have chosen a different path with Damascene Blade :gnehe:

fragger

There's a random settlement glitch I've struck a couple of times where the Brahmin food trough doesn't show up in the Workshop/Resources menu (nor does the one in the Nuka-World/Dry Gulch menu).

But I discovered a fix, below. The ID code is for the "bathtub" trough in Resources, I haven't looked up the Dry Gulch one yet.

Open the console and type the following:

placeatme 000a46fb

and hit ENTER (you might get a message saying something like "Compiled script not saved" but don't worry about it). When you exit the console, the trough should be where you are - in fact, you'll probably be standing in it! This console command should also make both troughs reappear in the Workshop menus (the "Resources" one and the "Dry Gulch" one)

Then just go into Workshop mode, highlight the trough to pick it up, carry it to where you want it and hit ENTER again to place it.

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

That's a weird glitch, but then it is Fallout, lol! Nice fix though, and thankfully the console is available.
D_B

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

True. As much as I love the game, it would be a major headache at times without the developer console. The main reason I'll never play on "Survival" mode is because the dev console is disabled on that mode. I don't know how players on gaming consoles get by without it. Maybe the game isn't as buggy on those, I dunno.

mandru

Survival mode with the dev console disabled for some reason reminds me of a bit of dialog from the 1984 movie "The Last Starfighter".

As the Kodan Armada is on the verge of ultimate destruction:

Lord Kril: Damage report!
    Ko-dan Officer: Guidance system out. Auxiliary steering out.
    Lord Kril: Divert! Divert!
    Ko-dan Officer: She won't answer the helm! We're locked into the moon's gravitation pull. What do we do?
    Lord Kril: [his eyepiece swings over left eye] We die. [The ship crashes into the moon and explodes]

It was a guilty pleasure.  I read the movie tie in paperback novel over and over as well as having watched the movie umpteen times.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

fragger

I don't know whether this has already been covered or not - I don't want to comb through nearly 200 pages of posts to check :gnehe:

The rarely-encountered travelling vendor "Smiling Larry" can be recruited to w0#k in a settlement as a Level 4 Weapons vendor. However, a couple of conditions have to be met in order for the recruitment option to appear when you talk to him: Your total number of settlers in linked settlements, i.e those connected by supply routes, must be at least 30 (doesn't matter which settlements they are), and there must already be a Weapons Emporium built in whichever settlement you want to send him to.

If you successfully recruit him, he will have a unique "Ripper" weapon for sale called "The Reckoning", which gives 15% resistance to damage while standing still, and he has a boatload of caps to spare - over 1,000 - which, if you clean him out, will replenish after 24 game hours.

Art Blade

that "how to recruit" doesn't sound familiar but it does sound cool. :anigrin:

I'll try to search for you :bigsmile:
OK, so there's one more mentioning of Larry but no details about how to recruit him, indeed.

You mentioned 30 settlers and supply lines. I never had any supply lines. Are they mandatory to be able to recruit him or is the amount of 30+ settlers already sufficient?

By the way, speaking of searching: this forum provides two (different) search functions. One is top right which is related to the current topic and the search function from the top menu. Normally the top menu turns up more (for obvious reasons) and it can be customised for the current search job. This time, however, the menu search function only found your post here above mine while the topic search actually found two entries. ???

Dweller_Benthos

That is some specific requirements, that's for sure. If you meet him early in the game where you don't have all that set up, does the chance ever come by again? And who builds a weapon shop and doesn't have a person manning it? So who would have just an empty weapon shop ready at all times just on the chance they might meet him? If you didn't know about it before hand, that is.

By the end of my game, I had several settlements all connected with provisioners, mostly so I could access all my stored materials from pretty much anywhere, I was making robobrain robots with lightning guns and stuff like that so they could defend themselves out in the wasteland. Many times did I hear a rukus somewhere and upon investigation find one of my robots on their trade route with half a dozen dead bodies of some enemy or other laying around that hey had just taken care of. Pretty funny.
D_B

Art Blade

:laughsm:

I never needed supply routes as I kept returning to my base and because those supply lines were prone to ambushes and other attacks, resulting in dead suppliers. I didn't need that, either.

Oh man, I remember those stories of supply routes with guys gone missing and on investigation they all turned out to be dead in their tracks, then the new guys were armed to their teeth (preferably robots, too) to stand a chance..

fragger

@Art, thanks mate, you didn't have to go to all that trouble, but I appreciate it :)

Yep, the 30+ settlers need to be in settlements which are connected by Supply Routes. It doesn't matter how the settlers are distributed among connected settlements, nor which settlements they are.

For example, let's say you have three Supply Routes - one between Sanctuary and The Castle, one between Abernathy Farm and Sunshine Co-op, and one between Zimonja Outpost and Tenpines Bluff. Now let's say the populations of those settlements are:

Sanctuary: 10
The Castle: 6
Abernathy Farm: 3
Sunshine Co-op: 8
Zimonja Outpost: 2
Tenpines Bluff:4

Total settlers: 33 (qualifies)

As long as the total number of settlers at all Supply Route-connected settlements is more than 30, regardless of which settlements are connected to which others, you meet the requirement. Incidentally, the settlement you want to send Larry to does NOT have to be one of the connected ones, as long as it has a Weapons Emporium present and the Supply Route condition above is met.

Chaps, about the Weapon Store - it doesn't matter if it's already staffed, Larry will still turn up at the settlement and when he does, you can reassign the current weapon vendor to some other job then assign Larry to the store. The Weapons Store has to be an "Emporium" though, with the big counter, not one of the two smaller ones. There was an odd thing that happened in my last game though which was that even though I had Larry as a settlement trader, I still ran into him on the road a couple of times when I was out and about. But when I fast-travelled to the settlement where I'd sent him, he was back behind his counter. Same thing happened with The Scribe, who also can be recruited as a Level 4 Armor trader (and I think the conditions for hiring him are much the same as for Larry). I had both those guys trading side-by-side at Starlight in my last game.

In my last playthrough I managed to recruit Larry but I was already a long ways into the game at the time and I just happened to have met all the requirements without being aware of it, so when I interacted with him the "w0#k for me" option came up. This time around though I ran into him and I didn't get that option, so I looked into it online and found out the requirements. For one thing, I haven't established any supply routes this go around, so I didn't get the recruit option.

Tags:
🡱 🡳