Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yes, Vault 88 is huge, many caverns and tunnels, leading to two other entrances, one in the drug store near University Point, I think and the other near the department store who's name I forget. Do not use that one to exit the vault, more than likely you'll pop up out of the manhole right next to the super mutants who hang out there, including the suicider.

There are two soda machine types, the one from the experiments in the vault which you can also use to increase happiness in any settlement as it's considered an entertainment device, and the ones from Nuka World where you can mix your own sodas for different perks. I've never seen my settlers use the one that can mix actual soda, just the vault one. But then again, I only built one of the Nuka machines and it's not in a place the settlers normally go, so YMMV.

I knew about the machines, as there's an achievement for making all 20 soda types. You have to find the recipes first, in and around Nuka World.

As to Dunwich Borers, there's also the Dunwoch Building in Fallout 3, a spooky place as well, with some kind of ritual chamber in it's basement with a weird monolith there. If you dive to the bottom of the pool in the Dunwich quarry, look around at the bottom of the pool, there's a large face half buried in the sand. Don't take power armor as you can't get back out while wearing it, you can only take the parts of it and leave the frame.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

When I first started out in FO4 and was attempting to deal with the Over Weight carry limitations I encountered a situation where I (through a series of conflicts with various enemy groups) found myself bearing more weight in inventory essentials as well as collected legendary or otherwise better weapons than I'd previously managed to lay hands on and found myself unable to run or teleport.  I hated the thought of abandoning any of my inventory until I had a good chance to make proper comparisons among the weapon types to see what was the best gear to adjust my load out.

I went back to a desk near the building's entrance (or possibly because of spotty memory it was a cabinet or chest as this was quite a while back) and stowed away enough of the gear for safe keeping to be able to repeatedly return to ferry my haul back to Sanctuary during the required three or four trips using fast travel to get it all home.

I was concerned that an 'unowned' container at an otherwise random location might have a time limit on how long it would hold stored items so every time I returned I would completely empty the container and then place just enough back into it to trim me down to where I was light enough to dash off for another quick trip.  I managed to drag all that stuff home with no losses.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

T.V.

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 18, 2017, 08:29:16 AM
Oh yes, Vault 88 is huge, many caverns and tunnels, leading to two other entrances, one in the drug store near University Point, I think and the other near the department store who's name I forget. Do not use that one to exit the vault, more than likely you'll pop up out of the manhole right next to the super mutants who hang out there, including the suicider.

Regarding those two entrances, a tip from the "Notes" section of the Wiki:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_88
Once cleared out, there are two back entrances, one near Fallon's Department Store, and the other near University Point. If the wooden walls blocking the two back entrances are not scrapped, enemies will only spawn at the main entrance, eliminating the need to search the vault for enemies during an attack.
This works, I never had an attack from other than the main entrance on my first play trough.  :)

Art Blade

I heard about that after I went in and out through those back doors. But I think at that time, I already had the NSA mod going (no attacks at all)

Art Blade

fragger, I just came across the post with that factory vid, in case you still want to watch it

Art Blade

Today I made a mistake and deleted the door so the wiring was gone. Easy peasy, I thought. Nope. It wasn't. Here's what I'm referring to:

Quote from: Art Blade on September 27, 2017, 10:32:31 AMOh, I found THE solution for the logic gate door lock.
[...] it's actually a one-flip-only act to open or close the door on either side. Without irritating wrong indicators. :) FINALLY -- that's what I had been looking for.

The traffic lights are powered and are well visible on both sides as long as the door is open. Once the door is shut, they're switched off, too, because the whole wall lost its power :anigrin:

outside
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

inside

The not so important info first: The traffic lights only go dead if you cut the power from the inside. If you switch the flip on the outside, that switch needs power, the door shuts close due to the logic gate but the traffic lights stay on because there is still power.

That info is also base for the important bit which I didn't pay attention to when I wrote the original post. Today I nearly went nuts when I rebuilt it but for some reason it just wouldn't w0#k.

In order for the door switches to w0#k, you need to remember one basic step and that's the FIRST thing you do BEFORE you do the wiring to avoid any weird situations:

Both power switches have to be set to "switched off"

Then do the wiring. It's crazy. If you leave them "on" and draw the power lines, the main power switch will open the door and switched off, close the door. So far, so good. But no matter what you do, if that main power switch was set to ON, the other switch doesn't do anything except from showing a red or green light and making noises when flipping the switch, however it doesn't open or close that door. :banghead: :anigrin:

KingRat

Hi Art,
Nice w0#k :)
I've put FO4 on the back burner while I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2, and more Dragons Dogma. Have the new Xbox and need to get it setup with Assassins Creed Origins and Elex. DOS2 really has me, and I wind up napping in my computer chair.

Art Blade

hahaha, thanks, and have fun :anigrin:

fragger

@KingRat, I can relate to that napping thing :anigrin: :thumbsup:

@mandru, good to know. I few times I've loaded my companion up to the gunwales and quaffed Grilled Radstag to lug all the stuff I want to take back to base :gnehe:

Thanks for the link to that video Art, I'll check that out later. Right now I've got some stuff I want to do in the game first ;)

I haven't grappled with the more esoteric power options like logic gates yet, at this stage I don't have any uses for them that I can think of. But I'l probably have a play around with them at some point.

Art Blade

hehe, I can relate to that napping thing as well :anigrin:

fragger, I only concerned myself with those logic gates because I needed a door NPCs couldn't open. The idea was to slap a generator down and put walls around it and a door in, only I didn't want raiders or other scum to pop open the door and ruin the generator while I didn't want to have to go into build mode all the time, so I wanted a proper solution. A door only I can open. Stupid about powered doors is that usually you only put a "door opener" on one side. I wanted them on both sides. And that's when it became, erm, tricky. :anigrin: A release buzzer on both sides that actually works can only be done with logic gates. Most solutions I tried or read about were overly complicated. Mine isn't.

Except for the one stupid thing even I didn't expect, it's simple. I just posted about that one weird thing. I spare you the details now but ask away if and when you're interested (I recommend it, good for your factory I suppose ;) )

fragger

Cool :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if you guys know about the following console code to find out if there are any synths in a given settlement. Stand near the settlement Workbench, open the console, click the Workbench to get the ID, then type in the console:

getav CFF76

and hit enter. If there are no synths, you will see this response:

GetActorValue: WorkshopRatingPopulationSynths >> 0.00

But for every synth that is present in the settlement - let's say there are two of them - you will see:

GetActorValue: WorkshopRatingPopulationSynths >> 2.00

According to this, I have one in Sanctuary. I don't know who it is, of course... The console command doesn't tell you that. I've read that you can use Dogmeat to inspect each settler, and if one is a Synth he can sniff them out. I don't know if this is true or not, I haven't tried it.

I have noticed that since I sent two Vault 88 dwellers to Sanctuary, happiness in Sanctuary has taken a slight hit. It appeared to be stable on 97% beforehand, now it has dropped to 95% and has a downward-trending red arrow next to it. There are plenty of beds, food, water, etc. All food is being worked, I have one of each store type (manned), three cats, one dog (other than Dogmeat), the gym equipment and about half a dozen radios distributed around the place. I don't know if Synths impact happiness or not, but it all seems suspiciously coincidental that the downward happiness trend appeared to start right after the newcomers had arrived.

mandru

fragger that's a cool discovery well worth a +1.  O0 
- mandru

Art Blade

Nope, didn't know that, cheers O0

Well, you know Nick. Have Dogmeat sniff on Nick's.. erm.. he'll know where to sniff. :anigrin: If he goes completely ballistic on Nick, then it's true. :gnehe:

I'll deffo check it out, both things you mentioned.

However, I have a settlement with exactly three synths and nothing else in there, happiness went from 80 to over 95 so far and those guys in there, they're not Nicks. I'll see what Dogmeat does. Simplest thing to do is drop a savegame and kill everyone. If you find a synth component on anyone, then you reload and set Snoop Doggy Meat on their scent and watch. If nothing happens, then it's obviously nonsense.

The last couple of settlements that I erased were synth-free.

population census

LowPolyOWG

:laughsm: You making the Commonwealth a place just for you? :anigrin:

Nice adventures, guys :bigsmile: Maybe Bugthesda added an algorithm similar to how people react to newcomers in real life? 

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

mandru

I finally hit a glitch bigger than me.  :(

I've lost the ability to sprint while in power armor and reaching back to even my earliest archived save points fails to correct the issue.  I've tried remapping the sprint key to the letter "G" which is otherwise unused (but still reachable with my left hand) and that failed to give me a fix as well.  I practically live in my power armor other than those moments I have to step out to attend to some detail at the armor or weapons workbenches, sleeping, or having to sit at a desk to hack a computer.

The missing sprint also has killed all usage of the jet pack power armor add on as well.  I prefer the torso be set to apply Stealth Boy when crouched but I do use the jet pack to explore areas that can't be reached otherwise.  :banghead:

There's probably a console command that allows an adjustment for sprint speed but I don't want to have open the console to re-key something like that every time I add a strafing adjustment left or right while powering forward trying to cover ground quickly.

After a bit of a rest I think I'll need to scrub my level 220 character who's just the way I like him and make a clean restart. 

I still had a lot of projects/experiments I planned to try as I could get to them and starting out all over will now take me quite a while to restore my levels and perk settings to be able to pursue again.  There's a few things I'll do differently on a replay like failing the BoS mission to take FT Strong which was the turning point for when Maxon's mob turned even snottier against anyone not BoS but especially targeting the Railroad synths who's side missions I far preferred over the BoS nastiness of shaking down or blackmailing my own settlements for supplies.

The only thing I can figure out to point at as the root of the problem was for the first time after hearing fragger talk about grabbing up power armor frames I decided to grab up power frames from Diamond City and Goodneighbor, pull out, and repair several full sets of collected armor components to add to my collection of full sets.

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳