Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on December 26, 2017, 02:03:47 AMThe Ammo Plant machine won't make energy weapon ammo, only bullets and shells, so I'll have to buy what I need.

Son, you take what you need from the steaming guts of the enemy you've slain. :gnehe:

Hehe, Hermit Crabs. You approach that van hoping to find a lootable crate in its back and then, instead, the van's  crustacean owner eyeballs you angrily. :anigrin:

Don't worry about companions trudging along with you into settlements, it's alright, even Strong doesn't hurt anyone's feelings. You may even bring some type of natural enemy, like the synth Nick to the Brotherhood of Steel; as long as you're companions, everyone will behave except for some crude remarks, perhaps.

Art Blade

because kind of all of us are starting from scratch, I thought I might join you lot. :anigrin:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Spoiler
I'm her. Damascene Blade :gnehe:

fragger

Welcome to the sisterhood :anigrin:

Man, I just totally cheated my way through that section where you have to retrieve DiMA's memory. I didn't like that bit at all.

I put myself in god made, which lets you build infinite blocks and turrets. I used the "disable" command in the console to remove the firewall blocks, then put heaps of turrets down to knock out the security bots before they could zap my little bug things. Got through the whole stretch in about ten minutes.

As you know, I don't like to cheat. But I HATED that part of the game, absolutely hated it. Wtf possessed the devs to include something like that in a game like this? It's FO4, not flipping Tron-meets-Portal.

It was doubly exasperating for me because of the way I have to use the "always move" command as my workaround to move in Workshop mode, which is essentially what that was. I can't strafe or move backwards that way, and trying to time my jumps with the always-walk command was a nightmare. Besides that, I didn't want to spend an hour or two trying to figure out my way through a block-moving, puzzle-type affair. I just wanted to get on with the business at hand.

That sort of thing is fine in a game like Portal where it's in keeping with the nature of the beast, but I thought it had no place being in a game like this. It was a jolting incongruity to the rest of the game. I'm glad I'm past it.

fragger

Btw, what is an attractive young woman like you doing with an old geezer like him? He must be rich...

Art Blade

:D

I only created that old soldier to make it look awkward! :bigsmile:

And I really enjoyed that Tetris meets Tron meets FO4 bit, solving the puzzles was fun. But I seem to be one of few how liked that part.

Well, going to go for Nuka World as soon as I can now  :gnehe:

fragger

lol "Damascene Blade" :D Pleased to meet you, I'm Fraggerina!

I might have liked that puzzle bit more if I could have moved around "normally" in it. But that's the price I pay for being a nonconformist with the controls :gnehe:

I haven't been to Nuka World yet. I remember you saying it was best left until late in the game, or something like that. Anyway, I'm still in the mists of Far Harbor, which I want to see out before I do anything else.

I found another Hermit Crab. This time I laid a trail of plasma and bottlecap mines between him and me before I woke him up. Worked a treat - old truck-shell staggered from one blast to the next before he could reach me. Then I was able to take him out with a few fully-charged electro-zaps :evil2:

fragger

[spoiler text=I found the real Far Harbor on Google Maps]

It's actually Mt. Desert Island, Maine. There is a town there called "Bar Harbor", right where Far Harbor is in the game.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
[/spoiler]

Art Blade

hehe, hi there, Fraggerina :bigsmile:

Quote from: fragger on December 26, 2017, 05:56:13 AMold truck-shell staggered from one blast to the next before he could reach me.
:thumbsup: :laughsm: :D actually +1 :thumbsup: for that ingenious tactical approach and for the laughs it caused me :D

Nuka World turns you into an evil raider character if you really wanna play it, and requires you to capture settlements for the NW raiders -- potentially your own settlements. So it's probably best when it doesn't matter any more like after the endgame or perhaps before you really start the main game. The latter means you'll go to war completely under-powered but might come back fitted out nicely. The game prompts you (kind of, 'are you serious?') if you try to go there before reaching level 30.

Good find on FH, mate :thumbsup: That DLC doesn't interfere with the game in any negative way and it's huge. So keep playing that, it's quite demanding and you'll find quite a few missions there :)

PZ

Great find fragger!  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

I've been to Bar Harbor, Maine, and can attest to the fogginess of the place. We were taking the ferry out of Maine to Nova Scotia, and it left at something like 8 in the morning. It was so foggy, as we drove down the street to the loading dock, we couldn't see the ship at all. We drove onto the loading ramp and then could see this giant open maw with cars and trucks streaming into it. Once inside, we went up on deck and after we had left the island for about 15 minutes we could finally see past the fog to the shoreline.

In the game, I set up a firework launcher at Longfellow's, and some clear weather shells to use whenever I was going out to the island so I could have at least somewhat clear weather.

Art, if you suspect things have fallen through other things in your settlements, use the no clip command in the console to look around, I think you can even still use workshop mode so you can pick things up again.

The memory hacking puzzle in Far Harbor is one of those things that you either love or hate. I didn't mind it, but would have had more fun if I'd realized sooner that you can store those blocks in the workshop to use later. I was carrying them one by one to where I needed them for most of my time there. It wasn't until the last puzzle that I figured out that storing was an option.  :banghead:

I can't imagine doing it with wonky controls, that would make me just cheat it as well.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: fragger on December 26, 2017, 06:23:16 AM
I found the real Far Harbor on Google Maps

Almost any game that are based on real locations remap them to fit the gameplay :)

In other words, the Commonwealth may reside in the Northern USA/Southern Canada if we were to place the FO4 world map upon a real map of USA/Canada.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

D_B, I actually had done that, reload the savegame after scrapping the floor, and then use no clip to pick up the stuff, and then I wrote the post. :)

Just getting through all the intro stuff of NW, quite funny without proper rank and weapons. I can't even pick expert locks so I have to find keys or run through mirelurk-infested half-flooded caves rather than being able to use a shortcut. Who knows what I might find there, doing it the hard way. :anigrin:

mandru

Some thoughts on collecting power armor found in enemy camps or strongholds.

There are a few enemy locations that have empty power armor standing vacant but when you get close and look at them they show the red lettering that means you would be stealing the PA pieces.  That could be problematic is you have a companion with you who hates stealing.

I don't know the pad presses for gamers using a XBox or Play Stations but on PC if you hit "R" for Transfer it would appear that it removes the "Stealing" status from obtaining those components.  I know that early on in my game play I grabbed some Raider armor arms and legs to fill out some of my PA that was missing pieces and in my saved file for old game those items still carry the "Stolen" designation.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I never used stolen items but once, and that wasn't with R (transfer) as far as I remember, it was the other option to pick a specific item out of an inventory of whatever entity it belongs to. In my case it might have been a food item. When I dropped it, it was red again as in I could steal it again, despite coming from my inventory.

I'll have to check out that R option, should be easy enough, I got a save which I can use to enter the Prydwen and there are PA that belong to someone.

T.V.

Quote from: mandru on December 26, 2017, 10:02:28 AM
There are a few enemy locations that have empty power armor standing vacant but when you get close and look at them they show the red lettering that means you would be stealing the PA pieces.  That could be problematic is you have a companion with you who hates stealing.
One can always use the console command setOwnership (after clicking on the object to get the id) to get past that problem.  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳